Your question

Pentium-M 2 GHz as fast as FX-55 and Pentium EE

Tags:
  • CPUs
  • Pentium
Last response: in CPUs
December 1, 2004 4:20:15 PM

Any comments on this article?
http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.asp?id=dothanga...

I find it hard to believe that a 2 GHz Penitum-M delivers as well as a 3.4 EE or an FX-55....

More about : pentium ghz fast pentium

Related resources
December 1, 2004 4:34:24 PM

Holy crap, thats intel savior right there!!!

Signature (up to 200 characters). You may use <font color=blue><b>Markup</b></font color=blue> in your signature
December 1, 2004 9:18:08 PM

I dont understand why they dont convert the 865/875 so it can be used with the dothan. I heard that the northwood and dothan were pin compatible so it cant be that hard to do.
December 1, 2004 9:44:57 PM

I wonder what would happen if they had some really nice cooling on the chip. How far could they have pushed it??

For my next PC project I might consider picking up a Pen M and overclocking. I just hope the new chipset that intel is promising is out by then.

-----------------------------------
AMD 2500+ @ 2.2GHz
Abit NF7-S v2
WD Raptors 74GBx2 RAID 0 & WD 120JB
1GB Dual Channel Mushkin 2.3.3.7
ATI AIW 9700
Watercooled
December 1, 2004 9:56:49 PM

Quote:
meh, it's good - but the chipsets suck ass.

It could be Intel's savior IF they decided to upgrade to a 200Mhz * 4 FSB, with HT etc.

this isnt netburst, quad data rate fsb migth not help it

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
Brand name whores are stupid!
December 1, 2004 11:52:58 PM

I can't wait till my next upgrade, about 6 months away :( 

<font color=red><pre>\\//__________________________________
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>
December 2, 2004 12:41:29 AM

Pin compatable? What do you do with the extra pin?
December 2, 2004 12:59:55 AM

ok ok calm down, take a breather here and take a small does of reality here.

how many threads are going to be started about this one test with a dothan, and then people running around try to make sacrifices to the great dothan god lol. hey its a great notebook processor, but its not ready for desktop use yet.

now about this deal, if 2.5ghz was reached using a vapochill, then this achievement is way overblown. you realize 90nm athlon 3000+ can do 2.5-2.6 ghz on AIR? 3200+ can do 2.6-2.7 on AIR and a 3500+ can do 2.8 on AIR?

i mean im glad to see that the dothan is a good prospect, but man, seeing the same posts over and over is taking alot out of it lol.
December 2, 2004 1:38:34 AM

S478 and S479 are 0% similar! Though the pin counts are nearly identical, the actual implementation of the pins are COMPLETELY different--a socket converter couldn't even do the job. As for i875/865 being used, a hackedup version might work, but I don't know how well, it's feature set would be better, but performance would likely be the similar (Dothan needs a bigger FSB most of all from what I can tell).

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2004 3:46:29 AM

I find it hard to believe anyone is finding all of this hard to believe after all this time, I've been on it for weeks in here.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
a b à CPUs
December 2, 2004 3:51:44 AM

But supposedly the ICH5 is pin compatable with the ICH4, so they could have at LEAST put the ICH5 on there, even though it's not an "official" match according to Intel. From there, the ICH5R could have elminated any need or desire for a third party SATA RAID controller.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 2, 2004 9:56:51 AM

Hi Abbo,

CPU reviews by GamePC are a joke. It is even not worth reading.

Since there are still no reviews of Dothan by "big boys", please check articles on www.tecchannel.de (in german) and www.extremetech.com for more accurate results.
December 2, 2004 6:25:32 PM

Isn't the PM based on the P3 core?

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>
December 2, 2004 11:54:28 PM

My understanding is that Dothan is P111, with 5 extra pipes. Sort of like net, that hasn't quite "burst" yet.
December 3, 2004 9:22:55 AM

Dothan also has 2MB of L2 cache and I SSE2.
December 3, 2004 9:25:55 AM

From Anandtech.com
Quote:
That being said, there's nothing stopping a motherboard manufacturer from producing a desktop motherboard that supports the Pentium M processor - because once again, the Pentium M is electrically compatible with the Pentium 4 and should thus work with any desktop Pentium 4 chipset.

So I dont understand why they dont make 865/875 boards with a dothan socket on them. That platform would rule. Fcuk Intel approval, the company that did it would make shed loads.
December 3, 2004 12:05:15 PM

It's just kind of funny is all. I mean Intel ditched the P3 for the P4 and now look what they're able to do with a core derived from the P3. Maybe they should have just taken AMD's route and kept making improvements to the same old core. :\

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>
December 3, 2004 12:11:02 PM

Quote:
So I dont understand why they dont make 865/875 boards with a dothan socket on them. That platform would rule. Fcuk Intel approval, the company that did it would make shed loads.

From what I've read the pins are all switched around, but straighten that out and it should be compatible, more or less. However, losing Intel's approval while supporting Intel products is not exactly good for anyone's business. :\ Whatever profit that they can make doing this is bound to be mitigated by the money lost when Intel gets pissed at them.

I'm kind of surprised that VIA hasn't tried something like this yet. Oh wait. No I'm not. It'd totally crush their EDEN/EPIA line if they did. :o  Heh heh heh.

December 3, 2004 10:34:35 PM

They had to jump to netburst for more speed. They were being eaten by Amd back then.
December 4, 2004 4:35:48 AM

Is everyone reading that review right? According to it, with the exception of Farcry, Dothan at 2.3 was well below the FX-55. And that was one of its better performances. It lost to both the P4 (not even just the EE) and the FX chips in all of 3D Rendering and 2D Content Creation (with the exception of LAME) and lost to the FX in ScienceMark (even the oced 2.3). How is this a big win in terms of performance?

"We are Microsoft, resistance is futile." - Bill Gates, 2015.
December 4, 2004 9:41:48 AM

Yeh AMD won the race to 1Ghz and Intel didnt want to be left behind. They knew the P3 wasnt going to make it there in quantity.
!