Sign in with
Your question

Need to buy new laptop by 8/8/2010

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
August 7, 2010 7:39:45 PM

Hey there, my laptop recently decided to crap itself and I need a new one now. Alabama is having a tax-exempt thing where all laptops under $750 don't require you to pay tax (for a back to school shin-dig).

1_What is your budget?
Has to be under $750, I'd prefer to keep it under $600.

2_What is the size of the notebook that you are considering?
I was hoping a rather medium one (14.1" - 15.6")

3_What screen resolution do you want?
Doesn't matter

4_Do you need a portable or desktop replacement laptop?
Portable

5_How much battery life do you need?
As much as possible, I really would like to have more than 2 hours, 4 would be amazing, but I don't know if that's possible with a normal 6 cell battery.

6_Do you want to play games with your laptop? If so then please list the games that you want to with the settings that you want for these games. (Low,Medium or High)?
Being able to play some older games like HL2, CSS, WoW, would be nice, but I need to able to run some programs like Solid Edge (CAD program). My old crappy HP DV2940se could do Solid Edge just fine and it had a crappy video card.

7_What other tasks do you want to do with your laptop? (Photo / Video editing,watching movies, Etc.)

8_How much storage (H.D.D Capacity) do you need?
Doesn't matter

9_If you are considering specific sites to buy from, please post their links.
I'm guessing Best-Buy, Office Space, maybe Newegg and/or TigerDirect as well.

10_How long do you want to keep your laptop?
More than 2 years would be nice.

11_What kind of Optical drive do you need? DVD ROM/Writer,Bluray ROM/Writer,Etc ?
DvD burner would be ideal.

12_Please tell us about the brands that you prefer to buy from them and the brands that you don't like and explain the reasons.
I don't care about the brand as long as it is a good laptop. Recently it seems that HP laptops have been pretty crap, so maybe avoiding HP.

13_What country do you live in?
USA, Alabama

14_Please tell us any additional information if needed.
Pretty much need a nice long lasting portable laptop that I can still do some moderate computing with. Need to use programs like CAD and matlab while still being able to play some games. Needs to be kinda smallish, or medium size (14.1-15.6). Old laptop was an HP dv2940se and it did a pretty decent job aside from the short battery life and the serious overheating issues.

I appreciate all the help, and quick responses would be nice since the Tax Holidy ends tomorrow!

-Roy

More about : buy laptop 2010

!