Dell - Linux desktops

Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better that
the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
Lindows-Linspire etc.
19 answers Last reply
More about dell linux desktops
  1. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    You can get many Dell workstations with Red Hat pre-installed.

    "Lenny Bruce" <spamme@devnul.com> wrote in message
    news:eaOdnSe-Orvh03ndRVn-vw@adelphia.com...
    > It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better that
    > the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
    > Lindows-Linspire etc.
    >
    >
  2. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Lenny Bruce wrote:
    > It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better that
    > the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
    > Lindows-Linspire etc.

    At work I've got a Dell Precision Workstation 650 with dual 3.2GHz Xeon
    processors, 4GB of RAM, dual 146GB 10000RPM SCSI drives in a RAID 0
    array, and an nVidia QuadroFX3000 256MB video card (dual-DVI) which came
    with Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. Is that decent enough for you?
  3. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
    news:cc26sb02sed@enews4.newsguy.com...
    > Lenny Bruce wrote:
    > > It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better
    that
    > > the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
    > > Lindows-Linspire etc.
    >
    > At work I've got a Dell Precision Workstation 650 with dual 3.2GHz Xeon
    > processors, 4GB of RAM, dual 146GB 10000RPM SCSI drives in a RAID 0
    > array, and an nVidia QuadroFX3000 256MB video card (dual-DVI) which came
    > with Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. Is that decent enough for you?

    It's a little overkill for my desktop requirements. I think it's ony a
    matter of time before Dell and the other big name box sellers start selling
    Linux pre-installed for home/home-office users.
  4. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Lenny Bruce wrote:
    > "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
    > news:cc26sb02sed@enews4.newsguy.com...
    >
    >>Lenny Bruce wrote:
    >>
    >>>It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better
    >
    > that
    >
    >>>the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
    >>>Lindows-Linspire etc.
    >>
    >>At work I've got a Dell Precision Workstation 650 with dual 3.2GHz Xeon
    >>processors, 4GB of RAM, dual 146GB 10000RPM SCSI drives in a RAID 0
    >>array, and an nVidia QuadroFX3000 256MB video card (dual-DVI) which came
    >>with Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. Is that decent enough for you?
    >
    >
    > It's a little overkill for my desktop requirements. I think it's ony a
    > matter of time before Dell and the other big name box sellers start selling
    > Linux pre-installed for home/home-office users.
    >
    >

    They have other models, "N" series. You gotta look in the Small Business
    section, but individuals can order there. However if you are looking at
    saving money by buying Linux instead of XP, you will be disappointed.
    They are basically the same price. And options are more limited because
    not everything has Linux support. For some strange reason my system came
    with a fancy keyboard with a bunch of Multimedia keys, none of which are
    supported under Linux. They should have shipped a standard keyboard!
  5. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Has nobody involved in this thread actually looked at Dell's site?

    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/desktops_n?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd

    Darn near the entire lineup is available without an MS operating system.

    Tom
    "Lenny Bruce" <spamme@devnul.com> wrote in message
    news:T9ednUh6WewjRnjdRVn-uw@adelphia.com...
    >
    > "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
    > news:cc26sb02sed@enews4.newsguy.com...
    > > Lenny Bruce wrote:
    > > > It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better
    > that
    > > > the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
    > > > Lindows-Linspire etc.
    > >
    > > At work I've got a Dell Precision Workstation 650 with dual 3.2GHz Xeon
    > > processors, 4GB of RAM, dual 146GB 10000RPM SCSI drives in a RAID 0
    > > array, and an nVidia QuadroFX3000 256MB video card (dual-DVI) which came
    > > with Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. Is that decent enough for you?
    >
    > It's a little overkill for my desktop requirements. I think it's ony a
    > matter of time before Dell and the other big name box sellers start
    selling
    > Linux pre-installed for home/home-office users.
    >
    >
  6. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:48:44 -0700, Lenny Bruce <spamme@devnul.com> wrote:

    > It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better
    > that
    > the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
    > Lindows-Linspire etc.
    >

    Why not buy the Dell machine then install Linux yourself? I've got FreeBSD
    4.10/KDE 3.2.2
    running beautifully on my 2.2 Ghz/384 Mb Celeron(Dimension 2350).


    Buck
    --
    Using M2, Opera's revolutionary e-mail client: http://www.opera.com/m2/
  7. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Buck Rogers wrote:

    > On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:48:44 -0700, Lenny Bruce <spamme@devnul.com> wrote:
    >
    >> It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better
    >> that
    >> the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
    >> Lindows-Linspire etc.
    >>
    >
    > Why not buy the Dell machine then install Linux yourself? I've got FreeBSD
    > 4.10/KDE 3.2.2
    > running beautifully on my 2.2 Ghz/384 Mb Celeron(Dimension 2350).
    >
    >
    > Buck
    Because you are still wasting the $ buying Windows. I wish I had thought to
    see if I could get a refund for XP a year ago when I bought my latitude
    because I don't use it.
  8. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    You raise an interesting point. I remember several years ago there were a
    large number of Dell customers (individuals) who tried to get Dell to refund
    a portion of their purchase price because they used Linux and didn't like to
    be 'forced' into paying for a Windows OS that they weren't using. After all,
    they argued, we can choose the other software that is installed on our
    computers...why is there no choice about Windows?

    Dell eventually said okay, we'll offer a refund but first you have to ship
    your computers back to us so we can remove the Windows software...and you
    pay the freight to us. That ended that little movement.

    Rocky

    "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:UP2dnaMScIGR8XjdRVn-iQ@wideopenwest.com...
    > Buck Rogers wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:48:44 -0700, Lenny Bruce <spamme@devnul.com>
    wrote:
    > >
    > >> It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better
    > >> that
    > >> the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
    > >> Lindows-Linspire etc.
    > >>
    > >
    > > Why not buy the Dell machine then install Linux yourself? I've got
    FreeBSD
    > > 4.10/KDE 3.2.2
    > > running beautifully on my 2.2 Ghz/384 Mb Celeron(Dimension 2350).
    > >
    > >
    > > Buck
    > Because you are still wasting the $ buying Windows. I wish I had thought
    to
    > see if I could get a refund for XP a year ago when I bought my latitude
    > because I don't use it.
  9. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Eugene" <nospam@columbus.rr.com> wrote in message
    news:UP2dnaMScIGR8XjdRVn-iQ@wideopenwest.com...
    > Buck Rogers wrote:
    >
    > > On Thu, 1 Jul 2004 10:48:44 -0700, Lenny Bruce <spamme@devnul.com>
    wrote:
    > >
    > >> It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something better
    > >> that
    > >> the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
    > >> Lindows-Linspire etc.
    > >>
    > >
    > > Why not buy the Dell machine then install Linux yourself? I've got
    FreeBSD
    > > 4.10/KDE 3.2.2
    > > running beautifully on my 2.2 Ghz/384 Mb Celeron(Dimension 2350).
    > >
    > >
    > > Buck
    > Because you are still wasting the $ buying Windows. I wish I had thought
    to
    > see if I could get a refund for XP a year ago when I bought my latitude
    > because I don't use it.

    That's my complaint also. Why should I have to buy another copy of Xp when I
    don't want it.
  10. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Rocket J. Squirrel wrote:

    > You raise an interesting point. I remember several years ago there were a
    > large number of Dell customers (individuals) who tried to get Dell to
    > refund a portion of their purchase price because they used Linux and
    > didn't like to be 'forced' into paying for a Windows OS that they weren't
    > using. After all, they argued, we can choose the other software that is
    > installed on our computers...why is there no choice about Windows?
    >
    > Dell eventually said okay, we'll offer a refund but first you have to ship
    > your computers back to us so we can remove the Windows software...and you
    > pay the freight to us. That ended that little movement.
    >
    > Rocky
    >
    I remember seeing web sites where others have requested refunds but I can't
    really request because I used XP for a few months before getting sick of
    it. My current workplace recently downgraded my work laptop to XP so now I
    get to point, click and wait for the hard disk to churn for a while and
    finally the start menu pops up. It seems some companies are getting more
    Linux friendly so I should be able to factor no OS into my next laptop
    purchase.
  11. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    <snip> I remember seeing web sites where others have requested refunds but I
    can't
    > really request because I used XP for a few months before getting sick of
    > it. My current workplace recently downgraded my work laptop to XP so now
    I
    > get to point, click and wait for the hard disk to churn for a while and
    > finally the start menu pops up. It seems some companies are getting more
    > Linux friendly so I should be able to factor no OS into my next laptop
    > purchase.
    >

    Downgraded. <big grin>

    Hmm. Let me sit down at my laptop and get some of my work done today.

    First I'll fire up Powerpoint to work ...oh, wait. No Powerpoint.
    "compatibles" that aren't quite.
    That's OK. I'll fire up Photoshop CS to work on my.....oh, wait, no
    Photoshop. "competitors", but not the industry standard.

    That's OK. I'll fire up my PVR software and setup a show ... oh, wait, no
    Linux version.

    Well, guess I'll work on my home automation ... no, that's not Linux
    compatible.

    Linux is fine, for what it does, and for many people it does a lot. For me,
    and many millions of people, it doesn't have what I need.

    XP is pretty darn solid.

    Tom
  12. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    news:SPCdncOKj9YLP3jdRVn-vw@comcast.com...
    > First I'll fire up Powerpoint to work ...oh, wait. No Powerpoint.
    > "compatibles" that aren't quite.
    > That's OK. I'll fire up Photoshop CS to work on my.....oh, wait, no
    > Photoshop. "competitors", but not the industry standard.
    >
    > That's OK. I'll fire up my PVR software and setup a show ... oh, wait, no
    > Linux version.
    >
    > Well, guess I'll work on my home automation ... no, that's not Linux
    > compatible.
    >
    > Linux is fine, for what it does, and for many people it does a lot. For
    me,
    > and many millions of people, it doesn't have what I need.
    >
    > XP is pretty darn solid.

    I agree XP is stable but combined with the above apps, is also quite
    expensive. If you can forego the current industry standard apps, you can get
    equally satisfactory results with Linux apps at a substantial cost savings.
    Linux is loosening the stranglehold MS has on computer users.
  13. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    I looked before I leaped but noticed that he was referring to the 2400 which
    is all that comes up when you look at the "n" Dimensions. Therefore I
    mentioned the workstations. It doesn't look like the entire lineup. Of
    course I didn't delve that deeply because I didn't really care that much.

    "Tom Scales" <tomtoo@softhome.net> wrote in message
    news:uNadnVq_efN3eXjdRVn-ig@comcast.com...
    > Has nobody involved in this thread actually looked at Dell's site?
    >
    >
    http://www1.us.dell.com/content/products/compare.aspx/desktops_n?c=us&cs=04&l=en&s=bsd
    >
    > Darn near the entire lineup is available without an MS operating system.
    >
    > Tom
    > "Lenny Bruce" <spamme@devnul.com> wrote in message
    > news:T9ednUh6WewjRnjdRVn-uw@adelphia.com...
    > >
    > > "Tom Almy" <tomalmy@aracnet.com> wrote in message
    > > news:cc26sb02sed@enews4.newsguy.com...
    > > > Lenny Bruce wrote:
    > > > > It's about time for Dell to sell a decent Linux box -something
    better
    > > that
    > > > > the low end 2400. Maybe cut a deal with RedHat, Suse (Novell),
    > > > > Lindows-Linspire etc.
    > > >
    > > > At work I've got a Dell Precision Workstation 650 with dual 3.2GHz
    Xeon
    > > > processors, 4GB of RAM, dual 146GB 10000RPM SCSI drives in a RAID 0
    > > > array, and an nVidia QuadroFX3000 256MB video card (dual-DVI) which
    came
    > > > with Red Hat Enterprise Linux WS. Is that decent enough for you?
    > >
    > > It's a little overkill for my desktop requirements. I think it's ony a
    > > matter of time before Dell and the other big name box sellers start
    > selling
    > > Linux pre-installed for home/home-office users.
    > >
    > >
    >
    >
  14. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > <snip> I remember seeing web sites where others have requested refunds but
    > I can't
    >> really request because I used XP for a few months before getting sick of
    >> it. My current workplace recently downgraded my work laptop to XP so now
    > I
    >> get to point, click and wait for the hard disk to churn for a while and
    >> finally the start menu pops up. It seems some companies are getting more
    >> Linux friendly so I should be able to factor no OS into my next laptop
    >> purchase.
    >>
    >
    > Downgraded. <big grin>
    >
    > Hmm. Let me sit down at my laptop and get some of my work done today.
    >
    > First I'll fire up Powerpoint to work ...oh, wait. No Powerpoint.
    > "compatibles" that aren't quite.

    I have dozens of power point shows from people like cisco, compaq, hp, etc,
    every one of them work fine.

    > That's OK. I'll fire up Photoshop CS to work on my.....oh, wait, no
    > Photoshop. "competitors", but not the industry standard.
    >
    > That's OK. I'll fire up my PVR software and setup a show ... oh, wait, no
    > Linux version.
    >
    mythtv is a very populat linux pvr

    > Well, guess I'll work on my home automation ... no, that's not Linux
    > compatible.
    >
    There are many of those as well

    > Linux is fine, for what it does, and for many people it does a lot. For
    > me, and many millions of people, it doesn't have what I need.
    >
    > XP is pretty darn solid.
    >
    > Tom
    I once thought as you until I tried Linux out. I found that I had no
    problem opening the thousands of documents I have saved many years.

    XP on my work laptop BSOD'd the second day I used it because I tried to save
    the .doc I was working on in Word. My Latitude C400 ran XP fine for a few
    months then BSOD's when I unplugged my cd-writer. Then it started to not
    work with my external USB hard drive. It would show it in device manager
    but not show it as a drive until after a reboot. Then it got to where it
    wouldn't list it as a drive even after multiple reboots.
    Then I mis-typed a web page address and was received a nice porn search bar
    that ad-aware couldn't remove. Windows 2000 was a bit more stable, I've
    used it on a lot of machines and Xp has become a big disappointment. Its a
    moot point though because Linux works much better than anything MS has to
    offer weather you care to believe it or not.
  15. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tom Almy so eloquently wrote:

    ><snip>
    > They have other models, "N" series. You gotta look in the Small Business
    > section, but individuals can order there. However if you are looking at
    > saving money by buying Linux instead of XP, you will be disappointed.
    > They are basically the same price. And options are more limited because
    > not everything has Linux support. For some strange reason my system came
    > with a fancy keyboard with a bunch of Multimedia keys, none of which are
    > supported under Linux. They should have shipped a standard keyboard!

    Been using Dell (XPS Gen2 and old CPS PPro200) with Linux for the past two
    years, with a variety of Distros, kernels, WMs, etc.. Simply, all works
    fine- fast, efficient, and open...

    As regards your "assertion" that:

    "..for some strange reason my system came with a fancy keyboard with a
    bunch of Multimedia keys, none of which are supported under Linux. They
    should have shipped a standard keyboard!"

    and in particular your comment that Linux does not support
    "fancy"/Multimedia keyboards- WRONG!! and absolutely inaccurate. Linux
    DOES/CAN support a multiple variety of keyboard: layouts, mappings, special
    keys, etc.

    Would recommend you check out: http://lineak.sourceforge.net/ for starters,
    for a simple service. Or you can familiarize yourself with various WM
    services (KDE, Gnome, Xfce,..) which provide keyboard services. Even go
    'native' and become aware of the 'xkb' features for XFree/XOrg.

    Regards,
    Robert G. Ragosta
    --
    Linux User #273716 / Linux Machine #227435
    KNode 0.7.2 / Mdk 9.2.1 / XFce 4.05 / KDE 3.1.4
    "Which is better- Artificial intelligence or REAL stupidity...?"
  16. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tom Scales so eloquently wrote:
    ><snip>
    > Downgraded. <big grin>
    >
    > Hmm. Let me sit down at my laptop and get some of my work done today.
    >

    Well, saw your post a few days ago and thought I'd let a few days pass (and
    let calmer thoughts prevail) regarding the rather misleading and inaccurate
    "observations" you so blithely represented...

    To start- both WinXP and Linux will allow someone (even you!) "..(to)..get
    some of my work done today".

    > First I'll fire up Powerpoint to work ...oh, wait. No Powerpoint.
    > "compatibles" that aren't quite.

    As you and I both know- there is no 'native' MS Powerpoint for non-Windows
    environments. However, OpenOffice offers:

    - Multiple platform capability (MS Powerpoint does not)
    - provides presentation/slide services
    - adheres to open and standard formats (MS Powerpoint does not)
    - provides implicit upgrade and format compatibility (MS Powerpoint
    did/does have issues here..)

    Don't fully understand what your: intent, accuracy, and meaning of:
    "compatibles that aren't quite..". Would appreciate some clarification of
    this "assertion"..

    > That's OK. I'll fire up Photoshop CS to work on my.....oh, wait, no
    > Photoshop. "competitors", but not the industry standard.
    >

    Again, Photoshop is not multi-playform (Windows only). However, a few notes:

    - there are functional equivalents (GIMP, etc.), which are multi-platform
    - as for "industry standard", accepted that Photoshop is a service
    reference point
    - usage of Photoshop can be readily achieved in Linux via 'Win4Lin' (and
    others..), which will preserve capability/investment (if so desired)

    > That's OK. I'll fire up my PVR software and setup a show ... oh, wait, no
    > Linux version.

    Not familiar with PVR- but if this references TV viewing, encoding, storage
    and replay- then there ARE Linux alternatives (MythTV, et. al.)
    Stating that an exact "Product" does not support Linux (at this time!), is
    really:

    1) NOT a deficiency of the capabilities of the base OS. Rather a Vendor
    position, which is rapidly changing throughout the industry
    2) to be balanced and accurate- there are "functional" products which DO
    exist in Linux, which provide these services

    >
    > Well, guess I'll work on my home automation ... no, that's not Linux
    > compatible.
    >

    Not an area I've utilized/investigated in-depth. However, after a brief
    review of Linux alternatives- again, there does exist alternatives. A few
    notes-

    1) NOT a deficiency of the capabilities of the base OS. Rather a Vendor
    position, which is rapidly changing throughout the industry
    2) Admitted that existing Windows-based products may be more "robust" (at
    this time..), but alternatives are rapidly evolving

    > Linux is fine, for what it does, and for many people it does a lot. For
    > me, and many millions of people, it doesn't have what I need.
    >

    Well, from just a brief review it appears that your comments are somewhat
    balanced. However, a few notes:

    - your comment for "Linux..for what it does" is ambiguous. Moreover,
    Linux/WinXP do what any full-fledged, mainstream OS does- provide a
    foundation for a diversity of services/functons. Care to clarify..?
    - Both Linux and WinXP support and provide services to millions of people
    (many vs. millions)

    As for not providing "..what you need"- your prerogative, choice, and
    assessment. However, from your examples presented above- appears that such
    choice and assessment is based upon less than: balanced, informed, or
    accurate information.

    > XP is pretty darn solid.

    That aspect of "solid" is open to interpretation. If referencing capability
    to provide a spectrum of services/functions- then both Linux and WinXP can
    do so.

    >
    > Tom

    Regards,
    Robert G. Ragosta
    --
    Linux User #273716 / Linux Machine #227435
    KNode 0.7.2 / Mdk 9.2.1 / XFce 4.05 / KDE 3.1.4
    "Which is better- Artificial intelligence or REAL stupidity...?"
  17. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    If it was not obvious, I was being somewhat extreme. I realize Linux can do
    a lot and run both red Hat and Mandrake.

    By the way, Photoshop is NOT Windows only. The Mac crowd will go nuts :)

    Tom
    "Robert G. Ragosta" <RGRagosta@mindspring.com> wrote in message
    news:sBcGc.8800$yy1.8652@newsread2.news.atl.earthlink.net...
    > Tom Scales so eloquently wrote:
    > ><snip>
    > > Downgraded. <big grin>
    > >
    > > Hmm. Let me sit down at my laptop and get some of my work done today.
    > >
    >
    > Well, saw your post a few days ago and thought I'd let a few days pass
    (and
    > let calmer thoughts prevail) regarding the rather misleading and
    inaccurate
    > "observations" you so blithely represented...
    >
    > To start- both WinXP and Linux will allow someone (even you!) "..(to)..get
    > some of my work done today".
    >
    > > First I'll fire up Powerpoint to work ...oh, wait. No Powerpoint.
    > > "compatibles" that aren't quite.
    >
    > As you and I both know- there is no 'native' MS Powerpoint for non-Windows
    > environments. However, OpenOffice offers:
    >
    > - Multiple platform capability (MS Powerpoint does not)
    > - provides presentation/slide services
    > - adheres to open and standard formats (MS Powerpoint does not)
    > - provides implicit upgrade and format compatibility (MS Powerpoint
    > did/does have issues here..)
    >
    > Don't fully understand what your: intent, accuracy, and meaning of:
    > "compatibles that aren't quite..". Would appreciate some clarification of
    > this "assertion"..
    >
    > > That's OK. I'll fire up Photoshop CS to work on my.....oh, wait, no
    > > Photoshop. "competitors", but not the industry standard.
    > >
    >
    > Again, Photoshop is not multi-playform (Windows only). However, a few
    notes:
    >
    > - there are functional equivalents (GIMP, etc.), which are
    multi-platform
    > - as for "industry standard", accepted that Photoshop is a service
    > reference point
    > - usage of Photoshop can be readily achieved in Linux via 'Win4Lin' (and
    > others..), which will preserve capability/investment (if so desired)
    >
    > > That's OK. I'll fire up my PVR software and setup a show ... oh, wait,
    no
    > > Linux version.
    >
    > Not familiar with PVR- but if this references TV viewing, encoding,
    storage
    > and replay- then there ARE Linux alternatives (MythTV, et. al.)
    > Stating that an exact "Product" does not support Linux (at this time!), is
    > really:
    >
    > 1) NOT a deficiency of the capabilities of the base OS. Rather a Vendor
    > position, which is rapidly changing throughout the industry
    > 2) to be balanced and accurate- there are "functional" products which DO
    > exist in Linux, which provide these services
    >
    > >
    > > Well, guess I'll work on my home automation ... no, that's not Linux
    > > compatible.
    > >
    >
    > Not an area I've utilized/investigated in-depth. However, after a brief
    > review of Linux alternatives- again, there does exist alternatives. A few
    > notes-
    >
    > 1) NOT a deficiency of the capabilities of the base OS. Rather a Vendor
    > position, which is rapidly changing throughout the industry
    > 2) Admitted that existing Windows-based products may be more "robust" (at
    > this time..), but alternatives are rapidly evolving
    >
    > > Linux is fine, for what it does, and for many people it does a lot. For
    > > me, and many millions of people, it doesn't have what I need.
    > >
    >
    > Well, from just a brief review it appears that your comments are somewhat
    > balanced. However, a few notes:
    >
    > - your comment for "Linux..for what it does" is ambiguous.
    Moreover,
    > Linux/WinXP do what any full-fledged, mainstream OS does- provide a
    > foundation for a diversity of services/functons. Care to clarify..?
    > - Both Linux and WinXP support and provide services to millions of
    people
    > (many vs. millions)
    >
    > As for not providing "..what you need"- your prerogative, choice, and
    > assessment. However, from your examples presented above- appears that such
    > choice and assessment is based upon less than: balanced, informed, or
    > accurate information.
    >
    > > XP is pretty darn solid.
    >
    > That aspect of "solid" is open to interpretation. If referencing
    capability
    > to provide a spectrum of services/functions- then both Linux and WinXP can
    > do so.
    >
    > >
    > > Tom
    >
    > Regards,
    > Robert G. Ragosta
    > --
    > Linux User #273716 / Linux Machine #227435
    > KNode 0.7.2 / Mdk 9.2.1 / XFce 4.05 / KDE 3.1.4
    > "Which is better- Artificial intelligence or REAL stupidity...?"
  18. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tom Scales wrote:

    > If it was not obvious, I was being somewhat extreme. I realize Linux can
    > do a lot and run both red Hat and Mandrake.
    >
    > By the way, Photoshop is NOT Windows only. The Mac crowd will go nuts :)
    >
    > Tom
    IIRC one of the adobe products runs uner linux (under wine) as well. Disney
    financed the project with Adobe to get it working since they neexed a
    reliable OS to run it on.
  19. Archived from groups: alt.sys.pc-clone.dell (More info?)

    Tom Scales so eloquently wrote:

    > If it was not obvious, I was being somewhat extreme. I realize Linux can
    > do a lot and run both red Hat and Mandrake.
    >
    > By the way, Photoshop is NOT Windows only. The Mac crowd will go nuts :)
    >
    > Tom

    Tom-
    Definitely appreciate (very much!) your speedy response and clarifications..

    Regards,
    Robert G. Ragosta
    --
    Linux User #273716 / Linux Machine #227435
    KNode 0.7.2 / Mdk 9.2.1 / XFce 4.05 / KDE 3.1.4
    "Which is better- Artificial intelligence or REAL stupidity...?"
Ask a new question

Read More

Dell Desktops Linux Computers Product