TECH: Space Station Pinball

I acquired a Williams 1988 Space Station pin at a yard sale about a month
ago.

It powers on, but the Relay on the AUX PWR DRIVER Board in the center far
right in the top cabinet keeps clacking about once every second.

The 3 Red LED's on the System 11B System board are as follows:
5VDC: Solid Red on
Diagnostics: Blinking Red continuosly
Blanking: Solid Red on...

I have not seen anything light up on th upper two displays but the bottom
two are displaying digits.

I have tried to toggle the diagnostics mode switch inside the coin door but
it will only take me to
00: 00-06 for different sound bytes...The sound does run randomly thru the
speakers in attract mode but there are not many lights on in the playfield
and they are not burned out.

If I hit the PLAY button, I get a "brrrrrrrrp" sound, followe by five
echoing "chings" or rings (sorry, don't know how else to describe the
sound). I know there is a ball stuck in the upper right pop out which is a
bear to get out manually with ones fingers.

I own 4 other pins and have successfully fixed 2 of them with help from
people on this post. I am in no rush as this is a "Project Pin" but in very
good shape, the boards are all the same SN so I am hoping for the best...

I'd appreciate any help as this is my first Williams pin....

Ken

Hi Ken!

The sound you get is "PINBALL MISSING" which you could not see since
your player 1 and 2 displays are dead.

Clacking every second seems to be some "try to get the ball out"
reaction when there is a switch stuck closed -- but I'm not 100%
sure about this since my Space Station is 800km away from me :(

5VDC: Solid Red on
Diagnostics: Blinking Red continuosly
That's okay, I remember

Blanking: Solid Red on...
Can't remember.

As usual, www.ipdb.org for the manual, www.marvin3m.com/sys11 for the
rest you
need.

//Enver

Thanks for the info. I got the balls out of the pop out in the upper right
and the clacking relay stopped. Both the upper digital displays are dead. I
can now get all the audits codes up on the display but don't see light bulb
test , solenoid test, etc I am used to seeing on my Kings Of Steel pin. Any
quick insite in what could be the issue with the top two displays? Any quick
way to test them?

<enver.haase@gmx.de> wrote in message

> Hi Ken!
>
> The sound you get is "PINBALL MISSING" which you could not see since
> your player 1 and 2 displays are dead.
>
> Clacking every second seems to be some "try to get the ball out"
> reaction when there is a switch stuck closed -- but I'm not 100%
> sure about this since my Space Station is 800km away from me :(
>
> 5VDC: Solid Red on
> Diagnostics: Blinking Red continuosly
> That's okay, I remember
>
> Blanking: Solid Red on...
> Can't remember.
>
> As usual, www.ipdb.org for the manual, www.marvin3m.com/sys11 for the
> rest you
> need.
>
> //Enver

graham

PC Consultants wrote:
> Thanks for the info. I got the balls out of the pop out in the upper right
> and the clacking relay stopped. Both the upper digital displays are dead. I
> can now get all the audits codes up on the display but don't see light bulb
> test , solenoid test, etc I am used to seeing on my Kings Of Steel pin. Any
> quick insite in what could be the issue with the top two displays? Any quick
> way to test them?

Check to ensure all the various voltages are getting to them (via the
connectors). If all is good, then I'd suspect the displays are goosed.
If you are missing a voltage here or there, I'd troubleshoot that first.