A Disk Read Error Occured. Press CTRL+ALT+DEL to restart

i am not able to boot the computer due the caption mentioned above
3 answers Last reply
More about disk read error occured press ctrl restart
  1. time to look for another hdd if you have acces to this one save all you data while you can if the disc restart .
  2. shashi_05 said:
    i am not able to boot the computer due the caption mentioned above

This can be a number of things.

1. It could truly be the HDD going bad.
    2. It is simply a bad sector on the drive that needs to be pushed along.

As far as solutions:

1. If you have the installation media, you can boot to Recovery Console (WinXP) and run a chkdsk /r to identify any buggy sectors and attempt to repair them.
    2. If you do not have it, I would recommend trying to locate a friend or family member that does and attempt the aforementioned step.
    3. Stick the drive in a freezer for about 1 hour and then move it right to the computer and attempt to boot. IF it works, it may only boot once which I would recommend using to back up any data you may want.
    NOTE: It is to be said that this has been proven to work but doesn't always work in all cases. Putting the HDD in a freezer will cause the heads in the HDD to decrease in size since there apparently is something that is causing the HDD to return the error in the first place.

There are several tons of help online simply by googling the error which several different resolutions.

With Windows 7 and Vista it essentially works the same way just by different methods.
  3. Check power cable and sata/ide cable has any damage.if damaged change cables.
Ask a new question

Read More

Disk Read Error Computers Boot Windows 7