Downloading Files from 32-bit Vista to 64-bit Windows 7

Tags:
  • Windows 7
  • Backup
  • Windows Vista
  • Hard Drives
Last response: in Windows 7
December 14, 2012 2:15:10 AM

I just rebuilt my system -- new motherboard, CPU, memory, HDD and OS. My previous hard drive died. Fortunately, everything was backed up onto a portable hard drive using Windows Backup in Vista.

I went with a new full retail version of 64-bit Windows 7 on my rebuilt system. I now need to create the other User Accounts and restore all our files from the Vista backup. I want to make sure I don't mess things up, so I have two questions:

(1) Is there anything I need to do to make sure my Windows settings don't get messed up when I use that 32-bit Vista backup to restore my files onto my new 64-bit Windows 7 system?

(2) There are 4 user accounts on the backup (mine and 3 others). My account was, of course, created during the installation of W-7. Should I create the other 3 user accounts before running Restore, or do they get created automatically during the restore process?

Thanks! -Rich

More about : downloading files bit vista bit windows

December 15, 2012 12:35:22 AM

Thought I might inform whomever might be reading this thread that I learned via a Microsoft chat that there are no issues using a 32-bit backup from Vista to restore files to a 64-bit W-7 and nothing special needs to be done before doing the restoration.

As for my second question, I learned it is not necessary to create the other user accounts in advance, as they will be recreated during the restore process.
m
l
!