Should I Upgrade? *UPDATED*

ragtop63

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2002
****** UPDATE *******
I guess I also forgot to mention the fact that I'm really not happy with the frame rates I get when encoding to DivX. I use VirtualDub and all that with 2-pass encoding. I am not happy with only 10-18FPS on the 1st pass. The 2nd pass doesn't really matter much since all it does is use the information gathered from pass 1 to encode. One of the main reasons I built this machine was to see better than real-time DivX encoding. I have yet to see this. Please don't tell me to use Xmpeg. It's a crappy program that crashes on every single system I have.
****** UPDATE ******

I am contemplating building a new PC for myself. I am on a medium budget so I will be using some of my existing parts as well as staying with my current technology.

A little background on my usage behaviors:
I do a lot of audio/video compression (divx, xvid, mp3, etc). I am also a pretty avid gamer. I play a lot of the newest games out there when they are released. Of course, I surf the web, use MS Office, create a lot of zip and rar files, etc.

My Current System:
Intel P4 3.0Ghz overclocked to 3.06Ghz (Family 15 Model 2 Stepping 9, whatever that means)
Corsair TWINX1024-3200LLPT (2x512)
MSI MS-6758 (875P Neo-FISR)
ATi Radeon 9800 Pro 128MB
All other hardware (HDD, Floppy, etc..)

My plan is to reach the limit of the Socket 478 technology at a clock speed of around 3.5Ghz +/- by taking advantage of overclocking but keeping the memory latency to a minimum. I don't see any benefit to increasing my clock/FSB speed if the latency becomes counter-productive.

1) Which CPU should I purchase? I am considering a P4-3.4E
Is there any benefit to the 3.4 as opposed to the 3.2? Taking into consideration the cost/performance ratio
2) I am going to be using a Asus P4C800-E Deluxe
The reason is because I really like it's features
3) Memory: Should I stick with my current DDR's or will I need to purchase new ones?
According to my datasheet, my DDR's have been tested up to 250Mhz.
I am not sure how accurate that is.

Any advise will be greatly appreciated.
As a side note, I will most likely be upgrading my video card to the Asus AX800 XT/TVD 256 in the future.<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ragtop63 on 12/08/04 02:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Don't upgrade.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

Chop

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
I also see no need for you to upgrade .
ur running a 3.0 northwood ? 512 l2 ? I have the Asus P4P800e delux . Great board . I think the c is the 765 chipset , and the P is the 865 . I had a 2.8 c on it at 3200 and am now running a 3E prescott @ 3500 . I had enough parts to build another box minus the cpu . So I bought the 3 gig and used the 2.8 to complete the other system . Other wise the 2.8 was fine , and I do all the stuff you listed

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
No need to upgrade CPU/Mobo/RAM. However, if you get a GeForce 6800GT, you will get significant gaming performance boost with latest games at high resolutions (like 1600 x 1200), especially if you use 4x Anti-Aliasing.

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>

WOOOOOOOO! Extreme overclock d00d.

ROFL :lol:

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Use XviD instead of DivX. XviD provides better quality and encodes faster than DivX

------------
<font color=orange><b><A HREF="http://www.mozilla.org/products/firefox" target="_new">Rediscover the web</A></b></font color=orange>