Sign in with
Your question

Looking at Velocity Micro. Please give me advice.

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
December 8, 2004 1:23:26 PM

Hello I was looking at their Gamer's edge setup, as the Raptor is way too expensive, and I want to go SLI and AMD. I would like some advice on the setup. I want to get the best "bang for my buck" and be able to upgrade for a long time, but i don't want to upgrade a lot. I will get one video card(6800 GT) now and the other later.

http://www.velocitymicro.com/wizard.php?iid=1

1) Has anyone heard about these guys? They seem to be reviewed very well.

2) Of course, I would love an FX-55 but they are *way* too expensive. How does the 3800 + compare? Should I go with that or the 3500+ for me being a pretty hardcore gamer and wanting to leave it alone upgrade-wise for a while?

3)Is the Antec power supply worth the extra $100? I know it's important, but when I asked the customer service person, he said that Antec is a great brand, but they would "never skimp on a PS, their generic option is good because a PS is too important.

4) Is the generic RAM choice OK? 1024 MB PC3200 DDR400(They said it was Buffalo) or should I go with the Mushkin 1024 MB PC3200 DDR400 for $70 more?

5) Should I go with the default AMD heatsink or the Zalman?

6) They have an option to overclock the video card, warranty and all. Should I go for it for an extra $70? It includes extra cooling and other things.

Thanks for all of your help as usual!

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by kaspel on 12/08/04 10:24 AM.</EM></FONT></P>
December 9, 2004 9:36:45 PM

If you are going to drop hard $$$ for a pre-fab, maybe you should consider <A HREF="http://www.falcon-nw.com/index.asp" target="_new">Falcon Northwest</A>. They most certainly will NOT use low end, sub-par components. Some may say Alienware is good, but two of my brothers who went that route, were extremely unhappy with both perfomance and quality. 0 for 2 in my family does not get you repeat business nor referrals. Antec makes some good PSUs, but not one I'd consider a gamer's top notch. None of my Antec PSUs made it past 2 years w/o going tits up.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>
!