Can't See File Location on Network

Last response: in Networking
Share
September 20, 2004 11:08:09 AM

Having a strange problem involving two pentium 4
computers each running Windows XP Home version, an MN700
Wirless Router, a Cable Modem, and a Sound Blaster
Wireless Music device.

Cable Modem connected to the router, router connected to
computer "A", computer "B" and Sound Blaster device each
connect wirelessly to the router (router running
in "mixed compatibilty mode" since the Soundblaster is an
802.11b device, but the adater at Computer "B" is a
Lynksys 802.11g device).

The router sees all the devices just as it should with
separate IP addresses. Music device receives media and
plays just fine. When I am on either computer "A"
or "B", I can read e-mail, and surf the Internet just
fine. Adapter at computer "B" shows "Execllent"
connection at 54Mps.

My problem: When on computer "B" (wireless connection),
I can no longer see the workgroup or computer "A" or
shared files on computer "A" in Network Neighborhood. In
the left payne there is a link to "View Workgroup" and
when I click it I just get a beep after about 30 seconds,
with no error or dialogue box ever appearing.

When on computer "A" (Connected at the router) and I go
into Network Neighborhood, I can see computer "B", but
when I click on it is says it cannot connect and I might
not have permission to do so. I and usnig an account
with full administrative permissions on each computer.
Ther eused to be an "Entire Network" link in Network
Neighborhood" at both locations that is now gone from
both locations as well.

I have uninstalled and re-installed the router at
computer "A", the wireless adapter at computer "B", "File
and Print Sharing on Microsoft Networks" on both
computers several times, and have also un-shared and re-
shared files on each computer several times.
Installations occur without event, but still the same end
result.

Bottom line is the router sees both computers; each
computer correctly sees the wireless network with correct
SSID, channel, WEP, etc., and I have connectivity at all
devices.

Then why can't I see/acess the workgroup and shared files
at each computer.

More about : file location network

September 20, 2004 11:23:40 AM

Sorry this is such a huge post. A couple of other
things. I am running Winodws XP Home with SP2 on both
computers, and Norton Internet Security 2004 (with Norton
Anti-Virus 2004) on both computers. I have done a manual
scan for viruses, as well and scans with Ad-Aware and
Spybot S&D and all clean. I am also using the update
software for the MN-700 that was posted to fix SP2 issues.

Anonymous
September 20, 2004 7:49:05 PM

Troubleshooting File and Printer Sharing in Microsoft Windows XP:
http://microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=fd...

"Fred" wrote:

> Having a strange problem involving two pentium 4
> computers each running Windows XP Home version, an MN700
> Wirless Router, a Cable Modem, and a Sound Blaster
> Wireless Music device.
>
> Cable Modem connected to the router, router connected to
> computer "A", computer "B" and Sound Blaster device each
> connect wirelessly to the router (router running
> in "mixed compatibilty mode" since the Soundblaster is an
> 802.11b device, but the adater at Computer "B" is a
> Lynksys 802.11g device).
>
> The router sees all the devices just as it should with
> separate IP addresses. Music device receives media and
> plays just fine. When I am on either computer "A"
> or "B", I can read e-mail, and surf the Internet just
> fine. Adapter at computer "B" shows "Execllent"
> connection at 54Mps.
>
> My problem: When on computer "B" (wireless connection),
> I can no longer see the workgroup or computer "A" or
> shared files on computer "A" in Network Neighborhood. In
> the left payne there is a link to "View Workgroup" and
> when I click it I just get a beep after about 30 seconds,
> with no error or dialogue box ever appearing.
>
> When on computer "A" (Connected at the router) and I go
> into Network Neighborhood, I can see computer "B", but
> when I click on it is says it cannot connect and I might
> not have permission to do so. I and usnig an account
> with full administrative permissions on each computer.
> Ther eused to be an "Entire Network" link in Network
> Neighborhood" at both locations that is now gone from
> both locations as well.
>
> I have uninstalled and re-installed the router at
> computer "A", the wireless adapter at computer "B", "File
> and Print Sharing on Microsoft Networks" on both
> computers several times, and have also un-shared and re-
> shared files on each computer several times.
> Installations occur without event, but still the same end
> result.
>
> Bottom line is the router sees both computers; each
> computer correctly sees the wireless network with correct
> SSID, channel, WEP, etc., and I have connectivity at all
> devices.
>
> Then why can't I see/acess the workgroup and shared files
> at each computer.

September 21, 2004 3:20:35 PM

Hi,

I posted here because it seems to be a problem specific
to the MN700 Other people posting here are having
similar problems after installing SP2 it appears.

FamilyID=fd7fd48d-6b4a-448e-a632-
076f98a351a2&displaylang=en