folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
My friend gave me a P4M 2ghz 512k L2 so I decided to upgrade my mom's computer from her lowly PIII 800mhz. I bought an MSI 865PE Neo2-V motherboard and 1gb of mushkin pc3200 (the lowend mushkin) off newegg bec all my mom does is email and websurfing so she doesn't need very high end stuff :)
I put it all together and the cpu only runs at 12x100 at 1.55v. I figured the motherboard wouldn't really know what to do with a mobile but I figured it would at least see the multiplyer right. Any idea how I can get it to 20x100? I'd just up the fsb to compensate but that mobo doesn't let me lock the agp/pci frequencies. And am I murdering that proc bec the mobos vcore won't go under 1.55v? That proc is only speced for 1.3v. The cpu temp has not gone above 40C idle with an old stock intel cooler so it seems to be doing ok.
I've never delt with a mobile pentium proc in a desktop machine before so I'm sort of clueless. If it is stuck at 1.2ghz that is ok, after all it is only an email/websurfing computer. I just figured I might as well try and get the most out of it.
Thanks,
Folken

My Mom's Comp:
P4-M 2ghz 512k L2
MSI 865PE Neo2-V
1GB Mushkin PC3200 DDR
40GB 7200rpm Maxtor
8x4x32 Sony CD-RW
Geforce3 Ti500
Antec SL300S 300watt psu

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If you set AGP/PCI speed to automatic it should lock down. Also, the board should run that CPU at 2.4GHz using 200MHz FSB, which is a standard setting for the 2.4C. Yeh, that's right, tell the board it's a 2.4C, 12x200. The core should tollerate the same voltages as the 2.4C does too, 1.65v should be easy on it but 1.60v should be enough to reach that clock speed. Heck, it might even work at 1.55v.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
It starts getting unhappy after 150mhz fsb. It would't boot at 166fsb and wouldn't post at 200fsb. I tried upping the vcore but it didn't change anything. I have the worst luck with overclocking so I guess I should be happy I got it anywhere above 100, lol. 1.8ghz should be good enough, if you can think of anything more I should try I'd be up for it.
The bios didn't have an auto option for the agp/pci but I found that if I upped it one notch to 67/34 it would stay there. I don't think a 1mhz oc would hurt anything.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I believe it was your CPU that Anandtech used to test the ability of SiS's P4 chipsets to do 200MHz FSB prior to the release of P4C's. And the reason they chose it is because it defaults to the lower multiplier when installed on desktop boards!

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Hm... I'll mess with it a little more but with my past overclocking adventures in mind I doubt I'll get very far, lol. I guess I'm just cursed with suckage :)
I've NEVER had a machine that would do 200fsb. Even with a barton 3200 and a lanparty nfII UltraB mobo I couldn't do 200fsb, lol. I'd be a little ticked if my mom's email comp could do 200fsb and my gaming machine couldn't, lol.
I'd be tempted to give her my 3.06ghz 533fsb pooper on a ga8inxp mobo and steal her machine :)

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
I think I figured out why it can't get to 200fsb. I noticed in cpuz that the fsb/dram ratio is set to 3:4. I can't find anything in the bios that would let me set it to 1:1 so I guess I'm just out of luck. That is what I get for going for a cheap mobo.
If you can think of a way of gettin it to 1:1 please let me know! :)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nah, that's probably the automatic setting for your bus speed and RAM, ie, the board detects the CPU bus is 166 and the RAM is DDR400, and automatically assigns the 3:4 ratio. Were you to set the CPU bus at 200 it would still detect the RAM is DDR400 and set it at a 1:1 ratio.

So it looks like you're still searching for your answer.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
If it is automatic then shouldn't the ratio change if I change the fsb? When I leave it at default (100fsb) the ratio is still 3:4, Shouldn't it go to 1:2 or something? It stays at 3:4 no matter what fsb I choose, except for ones it doesn't post on of course :)
Or is this cpu seen as 166fsb regardless of what it defaults too or is set at?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Good question! All MY boards would allow me to set the RAM speed in BIOS.

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
Yea, this is the only board I have come across that doesn't have that feature :(
It was a cheap board but I couldn't imagine that adding that little feature could cost enough to warrent not including it.