Sign in with
Your question

CPU pinned @ 100%

Last response: in Windows 7
December 14, 2012 4:28:35 AM

My CPU has been been stuck at 100% for about a week now. I checked processes and saw system idle process running high, so I figured it was normal. But it has been constant, and I'm starting to see effects on my system. It used to go down on a restart, then ramp back up. Now even on a fresh boot it starts at 100%. It's slowing down black ops 2, my cursor moves sluggish, and feels almost like my old laptop trying to run a game it had no business running.

I've run Avast, Malwarebytes, Spyware S&D, cleaned junk files, cleaned the registry, and removed everything that was installed since the problem started. Any ideas?

i5-2500k (stock clock)
8gb ram
Samsung 830 256gb
Seagate 2tb (storage and misc apps)
gtx 460

More about : cpu pinned 100

a b à CPUs
December 14, 2012 4:52:02 AM

- Maybe someone/something disabled the L1 cache on the CPU?
- It might also be that DMA Mode is disabled, but since you're using a SATA system I highly doubt that would be the cause.

In Resource Manager what percentage of your CPU time is spent processing Interrupts?
m
l
December 14, 2012 11:14:15 PM

Scott_D_Bowen said:
- Maybe someone/something disabled the L1 cache on the CPU?
- It might also be that DMA Mode is disabled, but since you're using a SATA system I highly doubt that would be the cause.

In Resource Manager what percentage of your CPU time is spent processing Interrupts?

Actually kind of embarrassed to say I've never used resource manager. So forgive the question, but where would I find the data you're asking for in there?

Nevermind, I took the time to actually look and found it. Average cpu on interrupts is arpund .25
m
l
December 22, 2012 5:08:11 AM

It's odd because it'll stay at 100% all the time. If I open the task manager, it drops right back to normal, then goes straight back to 100% when I close it. My biggest concern, aside from a slightly sluggish system, is that my cpu temps are in the high 40's when they're normally below 30. The system idle process shows around 98 while cpu usage will be in the 50's. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I'm about to say screw it and do a fresh install.
m
l
!