Reboot and Select Proper Boot Device infinite loop

theaznguylol

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Hello,

I have the Asus A55A EB71 (although I can't find it on Asus website itself, probably known under another name)

So long story short, this is what I did that is causing my current problem:

F8 Boot, repair mode, restarted during the middle of "loading files" (yes, I know, bad idea)
If I try the safe modes or repair, it says windows is loading files, then it says to repair etc etc (recommended), and start windows normally. Start windows normally sends me to Reboot and select rproper boot device.

Anyway, I get the reboot and select proper boot device screen. I checked BIOS, boot option 1 = "windows boot manager...", #2 = dvd, so not boot option priority issue

I tried F9 Boot (to do this: http://www.ehow.com/how_6960619_restore-asus-laptop-factory-settings.html), however, only option is Windows 7, and windows memory diagnostic.

The laptop did not come with a recovery disk, nor did I make one. I had a system restore file on an external hard drive, but I just formatted the drive today for a Mac thinking, "hey, I never have those problems, I'll just make a system restore when I get home."

What can I do? It's a relatively new laptop so i can factory reinstall, although I dont know how. I tried this: http://www.ehow.com/how_6960619_restore-asus-laptop-factory-settings.html, but there is no recover windows to entire HD option.

weaselman

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
Got a windows xp disk anywhere? if so pop it in the Dvd drive, boot off it.
press R for repair mode, you will need to drop into the command line interface.Once there type fixmbr. and then fixdisk. Make sure your in the root of the drive though C: so type CD..

prasadk22

Honorable
Nov 19, 2012
Dear,
It is advisable not to format recovery partition

Cause could be
Hard disk failure
MBR corrupted
Memory is loose
Malfunction of software

Please try following steps
Remove battery / adapter press power button for 5 min
Install battery / connect adapter (never run windows/os installation on battery mode as power schemes were different and may cause software to fail.)
Boot the laptop/pc go to bios
Perform HDD smart test if its pass- if fail remove HDD as hdd got malfunctioned
Chk for the device boot order, use proper bootable media
Bootable xp will be good option to chk for the existing partitions
Try to install /repair the same using resp OS desk
if unable to repair -perform clean istall of os

theaznguylol

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011

I did press F8

I get:
Repair Your Computer (does the loop)
Safe Modes (Windows is loading file, repair your computer)

etc
I don't see a factory restore option, and I popped in win7 disk - said it wouldn't work or something because the "operating systems were different," i dont remember message. Probabaly because from Asus and the boot drive? thing in BIOS was like "Windows Boot Manager" or something

theaznguylol

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011

Format recovery? I do not think I was trying to do that, haha. I'd like to clean install the OS but I only have one copy of win7 (desktop) and, well, I wasn't able to repair the OS using the disk.

theaznguylol

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011

I'lll try getting into safemode via command prompt - I doubt it's going to do much though (everytime I jump into safemode, it just says loading files as if i pressed repair)

I chose repair on win7. It wouldn't allow it because the OS on the laptop (win7, from Asus) was "different" or something. Anyway, it wouldn't allow me to repair.

Using your Win 7 Install disk, select repair, but when you get to the System Recovery Options, make sure that your OS is NOT selected, ie not highlighted, and choose 'Next'
You should be presented with a list of options, CMD at the bottom.
At the prompt type C: then enter
fixmbr then enter

theaznguylol

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011

This is what I did:

Put CD In
BIOS, override boot, boot to CD Drive
"Install Windows...language to install etc etc...NEXT"
"Install Now....what to know before installing windows..REPAIR YOUR COMPUTER"
When i press repair your computer, I get:

System Recovery Options
This version of system recovery options is not compatible with the version of Windows you are trying to repair. Try using a recovery disc that is compatible with this version of Windows.

I don't have a recovery disc...what do i do?

sakalu

Honorable
Nov 2, 2012
Dear,
It is advisable not to format recovery partition

Cause could be
Hard disk failure
MBR corrupted
Memory is loose
Malfunction of software

Please try following steps
Remove battery / adapter press power button for 5 min
Install battery / connect adapter (never run windows/os installation on battery mode as power schemes were different and may cause software to fail.)
Boot the laptop/pc go to bios
Perform HDD smart test if its pass- if fail remove HDD as hdd got malfunctioned
Chk for the device boot order, use proper bootable media
Bootable xp will be good option to chk for the existing partitions
Try to install /repair the same using resp OS desk
if unable to repair -perform clean istall of os
good word

Meanwhile I think I found support for your Laptop. Here are some useful links
http://support.asus.com/download/options.aspx?SLanguage=en&type=1
http://support.asus.com/download.aspx?SLanguage=en&m=A55A&p=3&s=385&os=30&hashedid=u2i06QJXcAFoMa3E
http://support.asus.com/Troubleshooting/detail.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=3&m=A55A&s=385&hashedid=u2i06QJXcAFoMa3E&os=30&no=1775

You'll need to download drivers if you have to re-install Windows with the DVD you hopefully managed to create. If not contact Asus for Recovery disks

theaznguylol

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2011
Thanks everyone for the help -

I tried all of these options, and they did not work, unfortunately. Some things here and there were missing, so they weren't available options.

I just did a clean install, using the win7 key on the bottom of my laptop (I had a near panic attack when it didn't work -realized it was because I typed one letter wrong)

Now just installing drivers and whatnot.

Should I keep the Asus "recovery partition?" I'm not sure if it can be used now that I deleted all the partitions besides that one...