Which warranty?

I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get an extended warranty when I
buy a new notebook. I feel comfortable fixing both hardware and software
problems but my present notebook needed an expensive display replacement.
That made me wonder if I should make an exception to my personal rule of not
buying any extended warranties for products that I purchase. Do notebooks
break enough to justify the extra cost of an extended warranty?

hicow wrote:

> I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get an extended warranty when I
> buy a new notebook.
<Deleted>

I agree with Jupiter Jones - Get the extended warranty. There are just
too many things that can go wrong, and far more things that can happen
to a laptop than a desktop (due to it's portable nature). (I also agree
with his take on desktops - don't bother with an extended warranty.)

Case in point: I have an I8500 that's less than a year old.

I've had the motherboard replaced twice (once after four months, and
again after eight months), and I'm not alone. On the DellTalk forum,
several other users have complained about similar problems.

See
http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_apr&message.id=4914
and go to the last three or four pages of postings.

I'm *really* glad I got the extended warranty. If things continue like
this, I figure that in another 18 months or so (well before my warranty
runs out), Dell will no longer have replacement motherboards for my
system, and they'll have to give me a new, top-of-the-line laptop!

Bob Pownall

Get the warranty to cover the expected life of the laptop up to three
years.
To many proprietary and expensive parts.

Desktops are different and often very little warranty is needed.

--
Jupiter Jones
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"hicow" <hicow@att.net> wrote in message
> I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get an extended warranty
when I
> buy a new notebook. I feel comfortable fixing both hardware and
software
> problems but my present notebook needed an expensive display
replacement.
> That made me wonder if I should make an exception to my personal
rule of not
> buying any extended warranties for products that I purchase. Do
notebooks
> break enough to justify the extra cost of an extended warranty?

Dave

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2003

On Fri, 02 Jul 2004 00:00:50 GMT, "hicow" <hicow@att.net> wrote:

>I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get an extended warranty when I
>buy a new notebook. I feel comfortable fixing both hardware and software
>problems but my present notebook needed an expensive display replacement.
>That made me wonder if I should make an exception to my personal rule of not
>buying any extended warranties for products that I purchase. Do notebooks
>break enough to justify the extra cost of an extended warranty?

Consumer Reports recommends against getting an extended warranty on
electronics. With one exception......notebook computers.

Dave

LOL don't worry... they still have old parts... even for computers older
than the 3y warranty....
No chance for you to get another laptop in 3 years

"Bob Pownall" <repownall@netscape.net> wrote in message
> hicow wrote:
>
> > I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get an extended warranty
when I
> > buy a new notebook.
> <Deleted>
>
> I agree with Jupiter Jones - Get the extended warranty. There are just
> too many things that can go wrong, and far more things that can happen
> to a laptop than a desktop (due to it's portable nature). (I also agree
> with his take on desktops - don't bother with an extended warranty.)
>
> Case in point: I have an I8500 that's less than a year old.
>
> I've had the motherboard replaced twice (once after four months, and
> again after eight months), and I'm not alone. On the DellTalk forum,
> several other users have complained about similar problems.
>
> See

http://delltalk.us.dell.com/supportforums/board/message?board.id=insp_apr&message.id=4914
> and go to the last three or four pages of postings.
>
> I'm *really* glad I got the extended warranty. If things continue like
> this, I figure that in another 18 months or so (well before my warranty
> runs out), Dell will no longer have replacement motherboards for my
> system, and they'll have to give me a new, top-of-the-line laptop!
>
> Bob Pownall

Molly

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2004

I take out an extended warranty on a desktop for two years, and a notebook
for 3 years.
A HD fails in a desktop, will covers the cost of the warranty.

"hicow" <hicow@att.net> wrote in message
> I'm having a hard time deciding if I should get an extended warranty when
> buy a new notebook. I feel comfortable fixing both hardware and software
> problems but my present notebook needed an expensive display replacement.
> That made me wonder if I should make an exception to my personal rule of
not
> buying any extended warranties for products that I purchase. Do notebooks
> break enough to justify the extra cost of an extended warranty?

Vijay

Molly wrote:
> I take out an extended warranty on a desktop for two years, and a notebook
> for 3 years.
> A HD fails in a desktop, will covers the cost of the warranty.

Hard drives are relatively cheap, specially the smaller ones. But the
lost data--Dell will not recover that for you. I would be concerned
more about other failures such as mobo. If it was just the hard drive on
a desktop I will forsake the extended warranty, but not on a laptop.