Loss of CPU power

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
When i first built my computer i ran a couple benchmarks just to see what i had just paid all that money for. and recently when i put in my new 6800GT, i ran them all again.

the first time i ran it i saved my numbers online, they were:
Cpu 7500
Gfx 8019
Total score 52258

Now when i run it it comes out at:
CPU ~3,200
Gfx ~7,100
Total ~31,000

I changed NOTHING from one run to the next. The first one was about 3-4weeks ago and now all i can get for my CPU score is 3,200 or less. I ran adaware and spybot S&D to disable the spyware and i shutdown everything but Aquamark.

my scores on 3DMark05 also dropped by about 2000.

Now since the Gfx section in Aquamark are pretty close i think something is wrong with my CPU somehow.

I have the lastest drivers from Nvidia and DirectX9.0c installed in case that matters.

Please help me....

P.S. I dont have my computer for benchmark scores, but i think a significant drop in two benchmarks would mean something is wrong.

The streakbreaker....

Your CPU is getting too hot and throtling back (lowering its clockspeed) in an attempt to cool itself.

Try reseating the Heatsink with a brand name thermal paste, such as Artic Silver 5.

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Somethings not kosher in Denmark. Put your old card back in and see what happens. Two possibilities:

1 - Your power supply is too short on the 12v rail to drive the 6800GT.

2 - Wrong drivers/Card configured wrong

3 - BIOS incorrectly configured. Aperature too small.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
Lol, i have a A64 2800+ not a prescott i know i should have said what i had for a setup. Sorry i spaced it.

I doubt it is throtling back, i have never seen the temps on it above 55C.

A64 2800+ (runs cool)
Chaintech VNF3-250 board(latest drivers installed)
512 Kingston RAM (had no problems before when i got the first measurement.)
BFG 6800GT (latest drivers and DirectX9.0c)
Thermaltake 420W (all rails runnning well)

The streakbreaker....

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
all three of those things would explain why my GFX score would go down....BUT my Gfx score went down only a little. And i suspect that if my cpu score went down 3500+ that its starving my Gfx card.

I think its a CPU problem....i dont know why my cpu score would go down if it was a Gfx problem.

The streakbreaker....

davemar14

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2003
Like reccomended earlier, put your old card back in. See if you get your scores back to normal. What video card did you have before the 6800GT? If your scores are normal with your old card, reinstall the new card, then reinstall the video drivers and the motherboard chipset drivers.

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I put my old card in and ran it. It scored a 412 on the Gfx....lol.....rediculously funny.
My CPU score was up to 8,300.....

I already uninstalled my card completely and used Det. R.I.P. to remove it completely, put it back in and reinstalled all drivers and DirectX9.0c(which i had problems with but is now installed properly.)
I have the latest drivers my chipset has.

Maybe i am missing something, everyone keeps talking about my video drivers, my video card, and all kinds of solutions if i was lacking in Gfx. Is there some way that my Gfx card could sabotage my CPU in these benchmarks? What do my video card drivers have ANYTHING to do with my CPU? Maybe i am missing something. I could be lost....but who knows?

The streakbreaker....

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Let's try this again, s-l-o-w-l-y. Your CPU and the 6800GT pull hard off of the 12v rail. I've seen recommendations for nothing less than 18a on the 12v rail with your rig. Most guys want 20a plus. Watcha puttin' out on that rail, sport? :lol:

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
I can check the V in the bios but how do i check the A under load?

The streakbreaker....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
d00d, it doesn't matter because nobody uses the same standard to rate their rails. The only way he could truely know if a power shortage is causing a voltage sag is to monitor the voltage!

And if a bad voltage sag did happen, the system would hang or reboot.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

pickxx

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2004
my board does not support C&Q, and i set the computer up like 5months or so ago.
I put the video card and new power suppoly in like a month ago.

but after the PSU and the Gfx card went in i could run all tests normally. Its just recently that i have noticed this problem.

The streakbreaker....