Question Regarding BNU not Needed

I am just wondering why it is being said that the Broadband Networking
Utility is not needed when running WindowsXP? I have the mn100 basestation
which i recently converted to bridging mode and mn500 wireless basestation.
I use the BNU although just this weekend I put in a new hard drive in my
computer B and loaded windowsXP with SP2 and i do see strange connections in
my network connections page that i have never seen before not Home Gateway
MN100 and Home Gateway MN500 as well as my usuall lan connection. I have
computer B running into the mn100 bridged and that connected to my mn500.
now i can not access my router thru the base staton utility from my computer
b it just goes into my mn100 base station that has been converted to bridge.
i can access thru IE with ip address. everything is working fine just
wondering so i might better understand.

Thanks, Jeff
3 answers Last reply
More about question needed

    The BNU is needed because the functionality already exists in Windows XP, if
    that's what you're running, and secondly the BNU is subject to problems from
    third-party programs like graphics card software which runs special desktop
    modes. Check your Gateway address on the system which cannot have full
    access.
    --
    Chris H.
    Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC

    "JEFF" <jefffby@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >I am just wondering why it is being said that the Broadband Networking
    > Utility is not needed when running WindowsXP? I have the mn100
    > basestation
    > which i recently converted to bridging mode and mn500 wireless
    > basestation.
    > I use the BNU although just this weekend I put in a new hard drive in my
    > computer B and loaded windowsXP with SP2 and i do see strange connections
    > in
    > my network connections page that i have never seen before not Home Gateway
    > MN100 and Home Gateway MN500 as well as my usuall lan connection. I have
    > computer B running into the mn100 bridged and that connected to my mn500.
    > now i can not access my router thru the base staton utility from my
    > computer
    > b it just goes into my mn100 base station that has been converted to
    > bridge.
    > i can access thru IE with ip address. everything is working fine just
    > wondering so i might better understand.
    >
    > Thanks, Jeff

    Thanks for the reply. Now not trying to be stupid here but could you tell
    me what you mean by the gateway cannot not have full access?

    Thanks, Jeff

    "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    > The BNU is needed because the functionality already exists in Windows XP,
    if
    > that's what you're running, and secondly the BNU is subject to problems
    from
    > third-party programs like graphics card software which runs special
    desktop
    > modes. Check your Gateway address on the system which cannot have full
    > access.
    > --
    > Chris H.
    > Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    > Associate Expert
    >

    > "JEFF" <jefffby@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    > >I am just wondering why it is being said that the Broadband Networking
    > > Utility is not needed when running WindowsXP? I have the mn100
    > > basestation
    > > which i recently converted to bridging mode and mn500 wireless
    > > basestation.
    > > I use the BNU although just this weekend I put in a new hard drive in my
    > > computer B and loaded windowsXP with SP2 and i do see strange
    connections
    > > in
    > > my network connections page that i have never seen before not Home
    Gateway
    > > MN100 and Home Gateway MN500 as well as my usuall lan connection. I
    have
    > > computer B running into the mn100 bridged and that connected to my
    mn500.
    > > now i can not access my router thru the base staton utility from my
    > > computer
    > > b it just goes into my mn100 base station that has been converted to
    > > bridge.
    > > i can access thru IE with ip address. everything is working fine just
    > > wondering so i might better understand.
    > >
    > > Thanks, Jeff

    Not stupid at all, Jeff, but rather than a long explanation here, I'd
    suggest you take a look at MVP Barb Bowman's Expert Zone column on networks
    and segments. She has a great explanation of how they're supposed to
    function and how to set them up. Here is the URL:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/networking/expert/bowman_segnet.mspx
    --

    > Thanks for the reply. Now not trying to be stupid here but could you tell
    > me what you mean by the gateway cannot not have full access?
    >
    > Thanks, Jeff
    >
    > "Chris H." <winxpnews@hotmail.com> wrote in message
    >> The BNU is needed because the functionality already exists in Windows XP,
    > if
    >> that's what you're running, and secondly the BNU is subject to problems
    > from
    >> third-party programs like graphics card software which runs special
    > desktop
    >> modes. Check your Gateway address on the system which cannot have full
    >> access.
    >> --
    >> Chris H.
    >> Microsoft Windows MVP/Tablet PC
    >> Associate Expert
    >>

    >> "JEFF" <jefffby@yahoo.com> wrote in message
    >> >I am just wondering why it is being said that the Broadband Networking
    >> > Utility is not needed when running WindowsXP? I have the mn100
    >> > basestation
    >> > which i recently converted to bridging mode and mn500 wireless
    >> > basestation.
    >> > I use the BNU although just this weekend I put in a new hard drive in
    >> > my
    >> > computer B and loaded windowsXP with SP2 and i do see strange
    > connections
    >> > in
    >> > my network connections page that i have never seen before not Home
    > Gateway
    >> > MN100 and Home Gateway MN500 as well as my usuall lan connection. I
    > have
    >> > computer B running into the mn100 bridged and that connected to my
    > mn500.
    >> > now i can not access my router thru the base staton utility from my
    >> > computer
    >> > b it just goes into my mn100 base station that has been converted to
    >> > bridge.
    >> > i can access thru IE with ip address. everything is working fine just
    >> > wondering so i might better understand.
    >> >
    >> > Thanks, Jeff

Routers Networking