Sign in with
Your question

Computer goes straight to sleep mode

Last response: in CPUs
December 12, 2004 1:38:10 PM

My system starts up, but about .5 seconds after it turning on, goes straight into sleep mode: the fans all stop spinning, and the power led starts blinking. There is no display on the monitor, and the same thing happens w/o a video card. I found a thread on anandtech about keyboard problems, but I've tried about 3 keyboards, both USB and PS2, and it still has the same problem.

I have a new processor in the system too, as well as a new PSU. Mobo was rma'ed due to not starting up at all, and is a new one of the same model.

I've tried two different power supplies.

The system turns on propertly without a processor/with the 12v rail unplugged, but as the processor is new I dont think it is the problem, and I dont have another system to test it on .

System: MSI K8N Neo Platnium
AMD Athlon64 3000+
1gb Corsair XMS pc3200cl2 ram
Geforce 6800gt
Aspire Turbo Case 520watt PSU
Sound Blaster Audigy 2zs

please help me!
December 12, 2004 2:28:29 PM

Hi,

Are u experienced in building systems?
1-Did you plug in the extra 4 pin power connector to the motherboard?
2-Did you plug in the extra power to the graphics card?
3-Reset the Bios?
4-Try one stick of memory in the proper slot?

The loving are the daring!
December 12, 2004 3:02:23 PM

1-Did you plug in the extra 4 pin power connector to the motherboard?-Yes, ive checked and rechecked it. The funny part is that if it isnt connected, the fans all spin up and stay on, but it obviously doesnt post.

2-Did you plug in the extra power to the graphics card?-Yes, it even happens w/o the graphics card

3-Reset the Bios?-yup

4-Try one stick of memory in the proper slot?-I've tried it with no sticks, and it still happens.
Related resources
December 12, 2004 3:12:02 PM

Standard test is to test everything outside of the case.
Minimal components, no IDE devices or floppy attached.
(Unscrew the PSU from the case if cable is of inconvenient length.)

Jump the mobo power switch with s screw driver.

The loving are the daring!
December 12, 2004 4:30:46 PM

Is a fan attached to the CPU fan header? What do the lights say on the MSI bracket?

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
December 12, 2004 5:29:03 PM

everythings connected properly. The msi bracket flashes red lights when the computer turns on, but when ti goes to sleep mode everytghing goes off except for the flashing power light.
December 12, 2004 6:29:07 PM

What about a sticky ATX power switch? Try unhooking the ATX power switch and starting it with a small piece of metal to connect the power on pins.

Dichromatic for your viewing plesure...
December 12, 2004 6:30:36 PM

something is grounded in your case and the PSU protection kicks in to protect the whole thing. take the board out and check for anything underneath the board making contact with it, apart from the standoff you use to screw it there. Maybe you put one too many standoff that has no hole for it.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
December 12, 2004 7:03:42 PM

Ok, thx, ill try that.

But would that protection not kick in w/o the cpu being in the socket or the 12v rail being disconnected?
December 12, 2004 9:34:51 PM

grr no change...

I disconnnected everything, and ran it outside the case, and the problem still existed.
December 12, 2004 11:51:05 PM

well, if it was a ground, maybe the protection did not kick fast enough and the board died...

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!
Anonymous
a b à CPUs
December 27, 2012 7:26:06 PM

I have a fujtsu computer with the same problem. 3 x 1 GB RAM (PC2 - 5300U).

The monitor goes to sleep on startup (after post picture).

I took out 2 of the RAMs and the computer started to work (extremely slow though).

I will now try to find out if any of the RAMs is broken.

At least i can probably save whats on the Hard Drive.

(I am from sweden and i am not familiar with the tech language and appologize for that.)
!