Organizing SD Card?

December 29, 2004 1:44:14 PM

Is there some kind of master list or documentation that shows you where each
type of file should be put on an SD card so that programs will find it
easily?

For instance, I tried putting a JPG and a GIF on my new SD card but the
'Photos' application that comes with my Tungsten E didn't see the pictures.
I checked the Help in the 'Photos' application but it didn't say where it
was expecting to see the pictures. After nosing around a bit online, I
discovered that it was expecting the pictures to be in a directory named
/DCIM.

Is there some simple way to discover the proper placement of files on an SD
card so that I don't have to spend significant time surfing just to find out
something so basic? Obviously, the smart place to put this information would
be in the Help for the application that was reading the files but this is
clearly not a sure thing since 'Photos' certainly doesn't contain this
information.

I tried Googling and found documentation about SD by the SD consortium and
things of that kind but none of this documentation said that photos should
be in /DCIM, MP3s should be in /AUDIO, etc. etc.

I'm hoping that documentation of the kind I am describing exists, otherwise,
every time I have a new file type that I want to put on the SD card, I am
going to have to do some extensive searching just to figure out where the
file has to go on the SD card in order to be found.

Frankly, I'd like to give the developers of programs like 'Photo' a slap
upside the head for not putting this essential information in their Help
system but what I REALLY want is to solve the question of where to put files
as painlessly as possible.

--
Rhino
---

More about : organizing card

Anonymous
December 29, 2004 1:44:15 PM

How About..... Read the instructions!

There's a PDF file with everything you should know. You can even
search the PDF file on the word "photo" so you don't have to read too
much.

If you manually copy photos to the SD Card, they must be in a specific
folder (create it if it does not exist already).

If you use the desktop Palm software to install the photos, the folder
will be fcreated and all will go well.

George
Dallas
December 29, 2004 4:32:33 PM

"GeorgePSW" <GeorgePSW@azone.net> wrote in message
> How About..... Read the instructions!
>
> There's a PDF file with everything you should know. You can even
> search the PDF file on the word "photo" so you don't have to read too
> much.

And where would I find this PDF file? I didn't get any PDFs with the card or
with the reader/writer....

> If you manually copy photos to the SD Card, they must be in a specific
> folder (create it if it does not exist already).

You're begging the question: I'm trying to figure out which specific folder
I need to put the files in. The 'Photos' application does NOT say; I checked
the Help already.

> If you use the desktop Palm software to install the photos, the folder
> will be fcreated and all will go well.

And how do I create a folder with the Palm? I know how to do it with the
reader/writer but I'd be interested in knowing how I could do it with the
Palm.

Rhino
December 29, 2004 8:21:33 PM

Rhino wrote:

> Is there some kind of master list or documentation that shows you where
> each type of file should be put on an SD card so that programs will find
> it easily?

The problem is that this is not a limitation of the SD card itself; it's a
limitation of particular Palm applications. Thus:

- You're at the mercy of the documentation created by applications
developers.

- Any file saying "put .JPG files in X, .MP3 files in Y, etc." would be
incorrect, since it's dependent on the applications, not the file
types. It'd have to go something like "Palm Photos expects files on the
SD card to be in X. RealOne Player expects files to be in Y." As should
be obvious, the latter version is going to be a much, much longer list,
since there are often several applications that can read a particular
file type.

- Different versions of the same application might well have different
requirements, multiplying the problem.

AFAIK, there's no such list anywhere. This seems like a good application
for a Wiki page somewhere, though...

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)
December 29, 2004 8:21:34 PM

"Travis Casey" <efindel@earthlink.net> wrote in message
> Rhino wrote:
>
> > Is there some kind of master list or documentation that shows you where
> > each type of file should be put on an SD card so that programs will find
> > it easily?
>
> The problem is that this is not a limitation of the SD card itself; it's a
> limitation of particular Palm applications. Thus:
>
> - You're at the mercy of the documentation created by applications
> developers.

I suspect you're right since I haven't seen a comprehensive list anywhere
either so far.

However the application developers seem to be a little lax as far as
supplying this information. For example, the 'Photos' application on my
Tungsten E does not mention that /DCIM is the directory in which I should
put GIFs and JPGs. And if the application doesn't tell me, how am I going to
guess? Answer: I'd probably never guess the right directory name so I end up
having to post about each different file type in order to know where to put
it on the SD card. That seems pretty lame so I thought there might be some
kind of list somewhere. It's starting to look like I was wrong....

Considering how many brilliant and convenient things you can find in the
world of high-tech, I find it astonishing that there is not an easier way to
determine the directory where a file needs to go.

> - Any file saying "put .JPG files in X, .MP3 files in Y, etc." would be
> incorrect, since it's dependent on the applications, not the file
> types. It'd have to go something like "Palm Photos expects files on the
> SD card to be in X. RealOne Player expects files to be in Y." As
should
> be obvious, the latter version is going to be a much, much longer list,
> since there are often several applications that can read a particular
> file type.

I agree that the list would be long but it shouldn't really be that hard to
do. I've already learned that JPGs and GIFs need to be in the /DCIM
directory for 'Photos' to find them. I have also heard that some
applications can find the files they need on any directory, not just a
particular one. A proper list would be organized on the application name and
the second column would list all the directories where that application can
find its files on an SD card.

> - Different versions of the same application might well have different
> requirements, multiplying the problem.

Yeah, that's certainly true.

> AFAIK, there's no such list anywhere. This seems like a good application
> for a Wiki page somewhere, though...

Now THAT is a useful idea! I'm tempted to do exactly that, although I'm not
sure how I'd publicize the wiki and get people to use it to build up the
list. I'm also not sure how to verify that everything people contribute is
accurate: you'd only need a couple of incorrect entries in the table to sour
people on the wiki. If they can't trust it to be right, word will get out
fast that it is a waste of time.

Still, it's a darned good idea ;-)

I'd also like to find some way to beg all developers to specify the
locations where their application will find the files that are handled by
that application. Hmm, I may put an appeal to that effect on the Palm
developer forums; maybe that will have some effect....

Rhino
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:20:14 PM

Rhino wrote:

> However the application developers seem to be a little lax as far as
> supplying this information. For example, the 'Photos' application on my
> Tungsten E does not mention that /DCIM is the directory in which I should
> put GIFs and JPGs. And if the application doesn't tell me, how am I going
> to guess? Answer: I'd probably never guess the right directory name so I
> end up having to post about each different file type in order to know
> where to put it on the SD card. That seems pretty lame so I thought there
> might be some kind of list somewhere. It's starting to look like I was
> wrong....

In my case, I did it on my Zire by using Photos to save a picture to my SD
card. I knew it could find the pictures it saved, so I then checked to see
where it had put the file. No guessing involved, just a little bit of
searching to figure out where it put it.

With RealOne Player, I used their software to put a file on the SD card,
then checked where it put it. Once I knew, I could simply use my SD card
reader to transfer the files. (Which is much, much more convenient for me
because I run Linux at home. Using RealOne's application means having to
reboot the computer...)

So, my general methodology is to use something that I know will work with it
to put a file on the card, and see where it puts it. Other than those two
and the Launcher, though, I haven't really run into any Palm apps that
require files on the SD card to be in a particular place.

> I agree that the list would be long but it shouldn't really be that hard
> to do. I've already learned that JPGs and GIFs need to be in the /DCIM
> directory for 'Photos' to find them. I have also heard that some
> applications can find the files they need on any directory, not just a
> particular one. A proper list would be organized on the application name
> and the second column would list all the directories where that
> application can find its files on an SD card.

For an individual person, it would be... well, not difficult, but very
time-consuming. That's why I recommended a Wiki, where the effort could be
divided across lots of people easily.

>> AFAIK, there's no such list anywhere. This seems like a good application
>> for a Wiki page somewhere, though...
>>
> Now THAT is a useful idea! I'm tempted to do exactly that, although I'm
> not sure how I'd publicize the wiki and get people to use it to build up
> the list.

Advertising it here would be a start...

> I'm also not sure how to verify that everything people
> contribute is accurate: you'd only need a couple of incorrect entries in
> the table to sour people on the wiki. If they can't trust it to be right,
> word will get out fast that it is a waste of time.

That's part of the reason to put it on a Wiki. If someone turns out to be
wrong, it's easy for someone else to put a "didn't work for me with version
X" note... or if they're feeling more helpful, to find out what does work
and put up a correction.

> Still, it's a darned good idea ;-)
>
> I'd also like to find some way to beg all developers to specify the
> locations where their application will find the files that are handled by
> that application. Hmm, I may put an appeal to that effect on the Palm
> developer forums; maybe that will have some effect....

Could definitely be helpful. :-)

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)
Anonymous
December 29, 2004 11:40:13 PM

Rhino wrote:
> "GeorgePSW" <GeorgePSW@azone.net> wrote...

>> How About..... Read the instructions!
>>
>> There's a PDF file with everything you should know. You can even
>> search the PDF file on the word "photo" so you don't have to read too
>> much.
>>
> And where would I find this PDF file? I didn't get any PDFs with the card
> or with the reader/writer....

I'd guess he means the PDF manual that came with the Palm. There's no
reason why the SD card or SD card manufacturer would tell you anything
about it... after all, they have no idea whether you're going to use it
with a Palm, a Windows Handheld, a desktop PC running Windows or Linux, a
Mac, or what. Would you expect a hard drive to come with a folder telling
you were applications running under Windows put their files?

> And how do I create a folder with the Palm? I know how to do it with the
> reader/writer but I'd be interested in knowing how I could do it with the
> Palm.

The included software won't do it. You'll need to get a file manager for
your Palm. FileZ is a free one, and you can get it from PalmGear (and
probably the other usual places as well).

--
ZZzz |\ _,,,---,,_ Travis S. Casey <efindel@earthlink.net>
/,`.-'`' -. ;-;;,_ No one agrees with me. Not even me.
|,4- ) )-,_..;\ ( `'-'
'---''(_/--' `-'\_)
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 12:43:47 AM

"Rhino" <rhino1@NOSPAM.sympatico.ca> wrote in

> Is there some kind of master list or documentation that shows you
> where each type of file should be put on an SD card so that programs
> will find it easily?

The developer of each program decides where to search for his files.
AFAIK there is not, and cannot be, a complete master list of every
program, because more are being written daily, and the developer is free
to put his data files anywhere he likes. The (more or less) standard
locations seem to be /Palm/Programs/Program Name, /Program Name,
/Palm/Program Name, and the ever-popular /Palm/Launcher. There are
certainly others.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 12:45:49 AM

> And where would I find this PDF file? I didn't get any PDFs with the
> card or with the reader/writer....

Usually in the distribution package that included the .prc and .pdb
files. You have to read the manual for each software package, because
the files could go anywhere, and the manual will tell you where they
should be. In short, RTFM, for the app you're installing. That's the
*only* way to find out.

--
Regards,

Stan
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:04:33 AM

On 29 Dec 2004 21:43:47 GMT, Stan Gosnell
<me@work.com> wrote:
> "Rhino" <rhino1@NOSPAM.sympatico.ca> wrote in
>
>> Is there some kind of master list or documentation that shows you
>> where each type of file should be put on an SD card so that programs
>> will find it easily?
>
> The developer of each program decides where to search for his files.
> AFAIK there is not, and cannot be, a complete master list of every
> program, because more are being written daily, and the developer is free
> to put his data files anywhere he likes. The (more or less) standard
> locations seem to be /Palm/Programs/Program Name, /Program Name,
> /Palm/Program Name, and the ever-popular /Palm/Launcher. There are
> certainly others.

But photos are a little different, because you can take pictures with a
digital camera, then pop the SD card into your Palm and view the
pictures, use them as backgrounds or add them to your contacts.
Likewise I assume there may be MP3 player/recorders that can exchange SD
cards with a Palm.

--
"Cow fault??? Have you progressed from BSD to BSE?"
cowsay -b "Prepare to be assimoolated! "

Bill Marcum <bmarcum@iglou.com.urgent> wrote in

> But photos are a little different, because you can take pictures with
> a digital camera, then pop the SD card into your Palm and view the
> pictures, use them as backgrounds or add them to your contacts.
> Likewise I assume there may be MP3 player/recorders that can exchange
> SD cards with a Palm.

Not really different, because you can put any files you like on an SD
card, whether they can be read by anything on the Palm or not. You just
have to put the photos into the proper directory, depending on what you
use to view them. Some viewers will search the entire card, so you can
put them anywhere, and some require a specific directory. Thus you have
to read the documentation for the viewer or other application you're
using.

--
Regards,

Stan