Buying a new laptop, please assist!

Status
Not open for further replies.

alexcheng

Distinguished
Dec 12, 2009
Hey guys! It's Alex here...

As the title suggests, I'm buy a new laptop and is in need of suggestions and advices! Here's what I need:

1. My budget is around 950 dollars to 1000 dollars.

2. It's not suppose to be a desktop replacement, I need it to be portable but it does not have to be super light, anything like ~2.2-2.5KG would work.

3. Monitor = ~14"

4. Battery life... The longer the better it is, but I don't want to sacrifice performance for battery life! Well the battery life really wouldn't matter much... around 3 hours would be good.

6. I just quited computer games a few months ago (I have a Pentium 4 desktop, I ought to quit = =), but I would like to game sometime in the distant future, so I would need a decent graphics card. Settings at medium in games like DiRT 2 and CoD: MW would be good.

*Add: I don't really know what kind of resolution I should choose, so throw in any of your suggestions!

7. HDD, RAM, Optical Drives: HDDs and RAMs shouldn't really be any trouble, I can upgrade it anytime. As for optical drive, I don't need blu-ray, a decent DVD Combo would do the job.

8. I would like the most up to date technologies because I want to be able to use this laptop for a long time.

9. Preferable brand: ASUS, but don't think twice to give me any better suggestions!!!!!!!

10. I live in Thailand, but still don't make that stop you, throw in your suggestions and I'll see if I can get my hands on it :D:D:D:D:D:D

Thank you for your time and answer in advance!!!!!! AlexCheng

sidewinderx2

Distinguished
Jul 19, 2010

I don't know how much this costs in thailand, but you can try the Acer as4820TG here: http://www.acer.co.th/acer/product.do?link=oln85e.redirect&changedAlts=&kcond48e.c2att101=-1&CRC=2759084358#wrAjaxHistory=0 Just make sure you get the version with the 5650 HD graphics card

Unfortunately I don't really know what else you can get in Thailand :(

Since you like Asus, I would also recommend the N82JV (NOT the N82JQ), as it'll get you your 3 hours of use + a comparable graphics card to the 5650 HD, but on the Nvidia side (which also includes Optimus, a bonus). In the US at least, it is $100 more expensive than the similarly equiped Acer model i posted above, but it's still within your budget limits, so it's probably just down to your personal choice :) However, I havent been able to locate it on Asus Thailand or Taiwan or China's website... although that doesn't mean that they dont sell it. Good luck? :)

Status
Not open for further replies.