Upgrading Advice

InsaneMoose

Distinguished
Dec 5, 2003
Just wanted some advice on how to upgrade my comp. I built it about 6mo's ago or so.
Current specs:
P4 3.0c
Abit IC-7 Max III mobo
512mbx2 OCZ pc3500
80gb western digital hd
160 gb western digital hd
Geforce fx 5600 ultra
Aspire X-Dreamer II case of crap
Antec 450 psu

The comp definatly isn't a peice of crap, but since christmas is coming around i thought it would be fun to upgrade.
My first thought is to ditch that crap case and get a Thermaltake Xaser V, since the one I have doesn't cool for crap. T
he 3.0ghz is doing fine as of now I guess, and the ram also seems fine.
Im not sure how good my mobo is anymore compared to whats out, but when I bought it, it was the best one abit had.
My powersupply seems fine but I didnt know if I needed a better one.
And last but not least, my vid card which I KNOW I need to replace. The only problem was deciding what to replace it with. My friend offered to sell me his x800 modded to xt platinum, but I wasn't sure how much that runs for. Or I could get a Geforce 6800 ($299) because I work at circuit city and thats the best thing we sell and of course I could get a discount off the 299. But then again, would that just be a waste of money for a geforce 6800?
Any advice is welcome, go go go!

Just because im a hardware newb, doesn't mean I cant break things with a hammer.

pat

Expert
the cpu/mobo are good...small gain in % for performance with a new doesnt worth the upgrade, unless you need feature that your board doesnt have. So dump that video card and get a newer x800 or gf6800 serie, the best one you can afford and that computer will be very good.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get a 6600GT and Overclock that 3.0C. If that's OCZ Performance you should get to 3.4ghz or so. Worry about upgrade next year.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If your looking at the Thermaltake cases, take a serious look at the Thermaltake Shark. I have three different Thermaltake cases, they are all good but none of them come close to the Shark! If you have any questions let me know!

Good luck!