Video card for Dimension 8200

I've had a Dimension 8200 for a year and a half now
and I've been very happy with it. The video card is
a GeForce Ti4200 which seems pretty decent but I would
like to replace it something that is truly better without
breaking the bank. I've been reading some video card
reviews but it is difficult to make direct comparisons to
the old Ti4200. I see the GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700
and 5800 series cards, but I wonder if they really are
that much better than my Ti4200. I'm sure the 5900
series cards are awesome, but a little to expensive for
me. Any recommendations?

TIA,

Dave
4 answers Last reply
More about video card dimension 8200

    "dstaffor[SpamNot]" <"dstaffor[SpamNot]"@calpoly.edu> wrote in message

    > I've had a Dimension 8200 for a year and a half now
    > and I've been very happy with it. The video card is
    > a GeForce Ti4200 which seems pretty decent but I would
    > like to replace it something that is truly better without
    > breaking the bank. I've been reading some video card
    > reviews but it is difficult to make direct comparisons to
    > the old Ti4200. I see the GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700
    > and 5800 series cards, but I wonder if they really are
    > that much better than my Ti4200. I'm sure the 5900
    > series cards are awesome, but a little to expensive for
    > me. Any recommendations?

    I also have an 8200 but with a NVidia GForce 3Ti 2000. It came with the
    computer from Dell and does everything I need. I'm not a serious gamer. What
    is lacking in your card? If you have or plan to have a LCD digital (flat
    screen) monitor, be sure go get a digital (DVI) connection on your new
    video card. It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you find
    lacking in your present video card.

    "dstaffor[SpamNot]" <"dstaffor[SpamNot]"@calpoly.edu> wrote in message news:cc4790$cnn$1@cscnews.csc.calpoly.edu...

    > [] The video card is
    > a GeForce Ti4200 which seems pretty decent but I would
    > like to replace it something that is truly better without
    > breaking the bank. [] Any recommendations?

    Performance Comparisons:
    http://graphics.tomshardware.com/graphic/20031229/index.html

    Street prices:
    http://www.pricewatch.com/h/mn.aspx?i=37&f=1

    Hot deals:
    http://www.fatwallet.com/forums/categories.php?catid=18
    http://forums.anandtech.com/categories.cfm?catid=40

    "Lenny Bruce" <spamme@devnul.com> wrote in message

    > "dstaffor[SpamNot]" <"dstaffor[SpamNot]"@calpoly.edu> wrote in message
    > >
    > > I've had a Dimension 8200 for a year and a half now
    > > and I've been very happy with it. The video card is
    > > a GeForce Ti4200 which seems pretty decent but I would
    > > like to replace it something that is truly better without
    > > breaking the bank. I've been reading some video card
    > > reviews but it is difficult to make direct comparisons to
    > > the old Ti4200. I see the GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700
    > > and 5800 series cards, but I wonder if they really are
    > > that much better than my Ti4200. I'm sure the 5900
    > > series cards are awesome, but a little to expensive for
    > > me. Any recommendations?
    >
    > I also have an 8200 but with a NVidia GForce 3Ti 2000. It came with the
    > computer from Dell and does everything I need. I'm not a serious gamer.
    What
    > is lacking in your card? If you have or plan to have a LCD digital (flat
    > screen) monitor, be sure go get a digital (DVI) connection on your new
    > video card. It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you
    find
    > lacking in your present video card.

    Just remember the 8200 only has 4 x AGP capability

    Many of the cards are compatible with the 4X. The question is how much cash
    to put into a card.

    "Mary Queen of Scots" <postmaster@127.0.0.1> wrote in message

    > "Lenny Bruce" <spamme@devnul.com> wrote in message
    > >
    > > "dstaffor[SpamNot]" <"dstaffor[SpamNot]"@calpoly.edu> wrote in message
    > > >
    > > > I've had a Dimension 8200 for a year and a half now
    > > > and I've been very happy with it. The video card is
    > > > a GeForce Ti4200 which seems pretty decent but I would
    > > > like to replace it something that is truly better without
    > > > breaking the bank. I've been reading some video card
    > > > reviews but it is difficult to make direct comparisons to
    > > > the old Ti4200. I see the GeForce FX 5200, 5600, 5700
    > > > and 5800 series cards, but I wonder if they really are
    > > > that much better than my Ti4200. I'm sure the 5900
    > > > series cards are awesome, but a little to expensive for
    > > > me. Any recommendations?
    > >
    > > I also have an 8200 but with a NVidia GForce 3Ti 2000. It came with the
    > > computer from Dell and does everything I need. I'm not a serious gamer.
    > What
    > > is lacking in your card? If you have or plan to have a LCD digital
    (flat
    > > screen) monitor, be sure go get a digital (DVI) connection on your new
    > > video card. It's hard to make a recommendation without knowing what you
    > find
    > > lacking in your present video card.
    > >

    > Just remember the 8200 only has 4 x AGP capability

Dell Graphics Cards Dimension Geforce Computers Product