Can I flip the windows license between 2 computers?

dannyritz

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hello. I bought the retail version of Windows 7 Home Premium last year and am currently using it on my mbp via bootcamp. I am now building my own computer.

I want to know if I can install and activate windows 7 on my new pc and deactivate but not uninstall it on my current macbook. So I want to keep windows 7 installed on my laptop and I don't mind losing the updates and anti virus.

The second part of my question is that will it be possible to deactivate it from my to be built computer and reactivate it on my laptop a year later?

I won't be using the laptop for now but I will be using it later and my pc will be left unused for some months.

Can I keep windows 7 installed on both my macbook and my pc and switch the license between the 2 of them when I need to?

redeye

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2005
no, one computer ONLY. but if you "Trash" your computer ever three months... you could. unwritten rule... but that means you can not use the old computer, and and must use the new computer...

although, not sure if it is true any more... once you install in on a laptop and your desktop home computer...

game junky

Distinguished
If you're asking if it's possible to deactivate from 1 computer and activate on another, yes.

If you're asking if that is legal in the spirit of the law, I think you'll find though you would never be prosecuted it is intended to only be installed on one computer at a time.

I had to bounce a license from my laptop to my desktop but I purchased a new OS for the laptop so I am back to legal.

dannyritz

Honorable
Dec 9, 2012
Hmm.. I think I will just buy a new copy of windows 7. I was looking to see if I could save some money. But just in case, how did you transfer the license from the laptop to the desktop?