cpu overheating?

andrewy3k

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
I posted somethign similar in another section of these forums.. anyways here it the original problem..

http://forumz.tomshardware.com/software/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=49080#49080

anyways I am pretty sure I fixed that problem.. anyways I am posting in this section because I think it could be CPU overheating problem.. so I was playing colin mcrae rally and my system froze before when it was happening with games like call of duty where the system was freezing it was becuase of a system error with my parrelle port so i fixed that now under event viewer there is no error report when my system froze whikle playing colin mcrea rally.. now could this be a CPU overheat problem.. I have a prescott 3.2 HT CPU so it normal if it gets very hot because im using the original heatsink and fan.. if so why is my system freezing.. is it the motherbaord i have which is casuing the system to "reeze" or shutdown becuase it senses the high temperatures? (I have a ASUS P4P800 SE) .. if there is a feature like that becuase i noe some bopards have featues like that is there a way to turn it off or is it not even a cpu over heat problem?.. someone help.. here are my specs.. also btw.. never have i experinced any freezing in my OS which leads me to belive it is a cpu overheat problem..

p4 3.2 HT Prescott
1 GIG ddr 440
256 mb radeon 9600 pro
4 internal fans
original cpu heatsink and fan
asus p4p800 se motherboard
any other info needed can be provided.. thanks..

...well maybe if you posted your temps...

<A HREF="http://www.moviewavs.com/MP3S/TV_Shows/Simpsons/flanderssong.mp3" target="_new">Audio Sig</A>|<A HREF="http://community.tomshardware.com/images/logo_black_xmas2.gif" target="_new">I made this!</A>

andrewy3k

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
opps sorry.. well im not 100% sure.. but when im not doing anythingn which is right now it shows 41 - 45 C .. i set it to record my temps (the program im using that is) and when it freezes next time i will post the temp but i have a feeling it is in the 60's C range..

andrewy3k

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
Game froze again but the cpu maxed out only at 55 C and the motherboard maxed out at 36 C before it froze according to the program I use which is ASUS Probe 2 .. could it be video card settings because 55 C is not that high for cpu temp..

andrewy3k

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
It cant be my PSU, i have a 550 watt and its brand new.. its not a name brand though..

I think i might have solved the problem but im not 100% sure.

I changed the aperature size of my vuid card in my bios from 256 to 128 and in the ati control panel i changed it from 8x to 4x and turned fast write "off" been playing colin mcrae rally 04 for 2 hours no freezing yet but dont want to speak too soon..

i will keep you guys updated..

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I hope you have solved your problem, but dont be so sure about the PSU. Even name brand PSU's will have a bad one come down the line sometimes. As for PSU's in general, there just doesnt seem to be anything effective in place that regulates or sets a standard for quality or performance.

andrewy3k

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
Your right like 1 mintue after this post i went to go install somthing, popped a cd in my drive and system froze.. what was weird though was that everything froze but the light on my optical mouse was still on.. could this a PSU problem?? cant be my mobo, its brand new, video card settings should be fine.. dosent make sense.. optical drives malfunctioning? that dosent fit eitehr because it works most of the time..

andrewy3k

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
i dont even know what timing its running at.. i just leave it to auto detect.. everything is auto.. all i know is that its cl 3 .. my freezing problem is weird though since my last post of reported freezing i have been playing games since and no freezing.. i dont get it beenplaying colin mcrae rally for 6 hours straight eairlier..

download and run(in DOS from a bootable floppy) a program called memtest86

<A HREF="http://www.moviewavs.com/MP3S/TV_Shows/Simpsons/flanderssong.mp3" target="_new">Audio Sig</A>|<A HREF="http://community.tomshardware.com/images/logo_black_xmas2.gif" target="_new">I made this!</A>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
If you set it to auto then that should be fine becuase it's using the timing found in SPD on the RAMs PCB
My mobo doesnt get the same timings that my ram is suppose to be when set at SPD. Its Corsair Ram. Shouldnt the MOBO set the timing at what Corsair says it should be?

andrewy3k

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
first off this ram is brand new.. and i have tested already with windows memory diagnostic.. it passed 22 tests.. second do you really think it has to do with voltages? its a very very odd problem.. actually before this I had almost the same problem but it was happening more frequent so thats why i changed my baord to ASUS P4P800 SE ... cause i thought it was the board.. now that i changed it happens only if i pop in a cd sometimes it will freeze or if im playing a game for a long period of time.. so it cant be mobo/cooling/cpu/video card (wouldnt cause freezing from what i know)/... has to be either ram or psu.. but it cant be psu or ram they are both new.. even if my psu is not top quality it is 550 w i dont have anyting hooked up anyways just a couple of fans.. PLUS I really dont wanna try changing voltages cause i dont wanna screw up my ram like i did with my last pc2100 ram that i did that to..

OMG!!! I HATE COMPUTERS!! I HAVE BEEN STRUGGLING WITH THIS SAME PROBLEM SINCE THE SUMMER!!! :( :( :( :( I THOUGHT A NEW BOARD WOULD FIX IT :(

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Well, I wish I had the answer for you but I dont. The thing about PSU's is that what is stamped on the lable doesnt mean that much in many cases. You can have a quality 350W that will run a board stable while a piece of junk 700W may not. Im not saying your PSU is junk, I have no way of knowing. Can you go into your BIOS or some other monitoring program and see what the readings are on your 12V, 3V, and 5V rails? If you can, then watch each of them for a few mins and write down the highs and lows of each. It may be that your PSU is not putting out a stable current on one or all of the rails.

andrewy3k

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
Okay I understand what your saying about the PSU so I did what you said, I looked at each value for my PSU for about 5 minutes using EVEREST Home Edition.. (hope thats good enough :) ) .. here are the readings i got..

CPU CORE
HIGH - 1.44 V

LOW - 1.36 V
+3.3 V
HIGH - 3.36 V

LOW - 3.33 V
+5 V
HIGH - 5.08

LOW - 5.05
+12 V
HIGH - 12.04 V

LOW - 11.80 V
+5 V Standby
HIGH - 5.14 V

LOW - 5.08 V

Actually whats funny is the max my +12v line was reaching was only 11.98v but as a test I opened my cd tray and it jumped to 12.04v.. now with that in mind could somthing like that be happening at the wrong time, when i say that I mean lets say could teh 12v line be sitting at lets say 12.00 on the dot i open my tray to stick in a cd, it reads the cd,therfor spiking the 12v line to 12.10 and casuing the system to freeze? could this be the reason why it happens so randomly or infrequently sometimes?

Thanks and I hope you can answer my question and i hope the readings i gave help too..

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. Good job on the voltages. Im going to get another opinion on your 12V rail. To rule this PSU out however we really need to get the readings that you posted from your BIOS. The program you used may be correct, but I would trust the Bios first. My software monitoring program is no where close. Im not sure if the Bios is either, but at least I can compare the fluctions of each rail 2 times. I will be here watching for you to respond or better yet just send me a PM and I will talk you through the steps of how to get the readings in BIOS.

andrewy3k

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
well actually when I had this problem originally before I switched motherboards.. I did try and removed BOTH of my CD drives from my system but it didnt help.. I guess I could try again, nothing else for me to do anyways :( im so sad and mad that everytime I build a system I have problems.. probably the motherboard I switched would have still been good because obviously it was not the motherboard.. so Is it safe to say its not the PSU now??

Also like 30 mins ago it me system froze while it was idle...

And Yes I will get back to you with some readings from my BIOS.. thanks..

andrewy3k

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2004
I will actually be gone for 2-3 hours but I will have the readings as soon as I get back.. thanks for the help.. I seriously hope that if I do replace the PSU if that is what is causing this that it really fixes the problem.. you dont even wanna know how much I spent just to fix this problem.. I bought new RAM and MOBO.... and the place where I bought my PSU is gunna get all hell for selling me a POS PSU cause I spent a lot on it..