tungsten E

December 29, 2004 8:10:00 PM

Boy do I need help. I have a I book G4 with the panther operation.
Everytime I install the palm disc, the computer will not hotsync it
will come up busy. I have called the company, but they never satisfied
the problem. I use the palm all the time and have it backed up with my
EMAC. I book is the only machine that has a problem with this. Is it
because of the panther or what? If any could could help, I sure would
appreciat it. tom

More about : tungsten

December 29, 2004 10:00:17 PM

Guy, I am using MAC 10.3 and have installed with the disc that came
with the palm. I have done this many times, and tonight I just tried it
again. I am checking out the web page you suggested. My palm works
with my imac and emac. It just comes up busy anytime I try to Hotsync
it. Any other ideas? tom
Guy Bannis wrote:
> In article <1104369000.470908.186530@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"tom"
> <mwwt@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
> > Boy do I need help. I have a I book G4 with the panther operation.
> > Everytime I install the palm disc, the computer will not hotsync it
> > will come up busy. I have called the company, but they never
satisfied
> > the problem. I use the palm all the time and have it backed up
with my
> > EMAC. I book is the only machine that has a problem with this. Is
it
> > because of the panther or what? If any could could help, I sure
would
> > appreciat it. tom
>
> Tom, can you describe what you're doing step-by-step?
>
> You say, "everytime I install," have you installed it once before and
it
> worked. Or are you trying to install for the first time?
>
> Also, does the Palm Desktop install on your computer? If so, is your
> problem with Hotsync and not with the operation of the Desktop?
>
> What Mac OS is your eMac running?
>
> Have you checked the knowledge base at www.palmone.com to see if
there are
> any issues with Panther?
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 4:44:47 AM

<mwwt@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Boy do I need help. I have a I book G4 with the panther operation.
> Everytime I install the palm disc, the computer will not hotsync it
> will come up busy. I have called the company, but they never satisfied
> the problem. I use the palm all the time and have it backed up with my
> EMAC. I book is the only machine that has a problem with this. Is it
> because of the panther or what? If any could could help, I sure would
> appreciat it. tom

Tom, can you describe what you're doing step-by-step?

You say, "everytime I install," have you installed it once before and it
worked. Or are you trying to install for the first time?

Also, does the Palm Desktop install on your computer? If so, is your
problem with Hotsync and not with the operation of the Desktop?

What Mac OS is your eMac running?

Have you checked the knowledge base at www.palmone.com to see if there are
any issues with Panther?
December 30, 2004 6:38:44 AM

Tom, you have given no new information to go by. For example, what does
"comes up busy" mean? What do you see on the screen?

So I'll take a shot in the dark: have you checked the Connection Settings
in HotSync Setup? And in those Connection Settings, have you checked
"USB"?

In article <1104375617.167581.322830@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "tom"
<mwwt@earthlink.net> wrote:

> Guy, I am using MAC 10.3 and have installed with the disc that came
> with the palm. I have done this many times, and tonight I just tried it
> again. I am checking out the web page you suggested. My palm works
> with my imac and emac. It just comes up busy anytime I try to Hotsync
> it. Any other ideas? tom
> Guy Bannis wrote:
> > In article <1104369000.470908.186530@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> "tom"
> > <mwwt@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> > > Boy do I need help. I have a I book G4 with the panther operation.
> > > Everytime I install the palm disc, the computer will not hotsync it
> > > will come up busy. I have called the company, but they never
> satisfied
> > > the problem. I use the palm all the time and have it backed up
> with my
> > > EMAC. I book is the only machine that has a problem with this. Is
> it
> > > because of the panther or what? If any could could help, I sure
> would
> > > appreciat it. tom
> >
> > Tom, can you describe what you're doing step-by-step?
> >
> > You say, "everytime I install," have you installed it once before and
> it
> > worked. Or are you trying to install for the first time?
> >
> > Also, does the Palm Desktop install on your computer? If so, is your
> > problem with Hotsync and not with the operation of the Desktop?
> >
> > What Mac OS is your eMac running?
> >
> > Have you checked the knowledge base at www.palmone.com to see if
> there are
> > any issues with Panther?
Anonymous
December 30, 2004 6:48:28 AM

I too read your message Tom (many hours ago), but I thought it lacked
detail. The USB option that Guy mentioned tripped me up for the first time
yesterday, after 2.5 years of Palm use. Luckily, it burned only 10-15
minutes of my time.

Earlier I was going to suggest to you that you reset the Palm; even a hard
reset. Then, try looking at the error logs for some clues. What is the
exact message that you get? Try Googling it...

Roy

--
Roy Schestowitz
http://schestowitz.com

Guy Bannis wrote:

> Tom, you have given no new information to go by. For example, what does
> "comes up busy" mean? What do you see on the screen?
>
> So I'll take a shot in the dark: have you checked the Connection Settings
> in HotSync Setup? And in those Connection Settings, have you checked
> "USB"?
>
> In article <1104375617.167581.322830@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>, "tom"
> <mwwt@earthlink.net> wrote:
>
>> Guy, I am using MAC 10.3 and have installed with the disc that came
>> with the palm. I have done this many times, and tonight I just tried it
>> again. I am checking out the web page you suggested. My palm works
>> with my imac and emac. It just comes up busy anytime I try to Hotsync
>> it. Any other ideas? tom
>> Guy Bannis wrote:
>> > In article <1104369000.470908.186530@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

>> satisfied
>> with my
>> it
>> would
>> >
>> > Tom, can you describe what you're doing step-by-step?
>> >
>> > You say, "everytime I install," have you installed it once before and
>> it
>> > worked. Or are you trying to install for the first time?
>> >
>> > Also, does the Palm Desktop install on your computer? If so, is your
>> > problem with Hotsync and not with the operation of the Desktop?
>> >
>> > What Mac OS is your eMac running?
>> >
>> > Have you checked the knowledge base at www.palmone.com to see if
>> there are
>> > any issues with Panther
December 30, 2004 8:54:28 AM

Roy and Guy,
I will try to explain it again, but going through the process I just
completed. I installed the disc for the palm. I started the hotsync and
it came up file busy. I have been using palms for more than 6 years,
but this computer has a panther operation. One of the Palm people
thought that was the problem. I went to the palm information on busy.
They game me many things to do, but none worked. I down loaded palm
one permissions fixer, but that did not seem to help. I really
appreciate your help. I am not great at making things too clear. I
hoped this helped. I am going to check the usb connection. Happy New
Year, and I hope you have more ideas. tom
Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> I too read your message Tom (many hours ago), but I thought it lacked
> detail. The USB option that Guy mentioned tripped me up for the first
time
> yesterday, after 2.5 years of Palm use. Luckily, it burned only 10-15
> minutes of my time.
>
> Earlier I was going to suggest to you that you reset the Palm; even a
hard
> reset. Then, try looking at the error logs for some clues. What is
the
> exact message that you get? Try Googling it...
>
> Roy
>
> --
> Roy Schestowitz
> http://schestowitz.com
>
> Guy Bannis wrote:
>
> > Tom, you have given no new information to go by. For example, what
does
> > "comes up busy" mean? What do you see on the screen?
> >
> > So I'll take a shot in the dark: have you checked the Connection
Settings
> > in HotSync Setup? And in those Connection Settings, have you
checked
> > "USB"?
> >
> > In article <1104375617.167581.322830@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
"tom"
> > <mwwt@earthlink.net> wrote:
> >
> >> Guy, I am using MAC 10.3 and have installed with the disc that
came
> >> with the palm. I have done this many times, and tonight I just
tried it
> >> again. I am checking out the web page you suggested. My palm
works
> >> with my imac and emac. It just comes up busy anytime I try to
Hotsync
> >> it. Any other ideas? tom
<1104369000.470908.186530@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,
> >> "tom"

> >> satisfied
> >> with my
Is
> >> it
> >> would

> >> it

> >> there are
December 30, 2004 5:03:09 PM

I installed a new desk top from Palm and when I hotsync it went busy.
I am getting frustrated. tom
tom wrote:
> Roy and Guy,
> I will try to explain it again, but going through the process I just
> completed. I installed the disc for the palm. I started the hotsync
and
> it came up file busy. I have been using palms for more than 6 years,
> but this computer has a panther operation. One of the Palm people
> thought that was the problem. I went to the palm information on busy.
> They game me many things to do, but none worked. I down loaded palm
> one permissions fixer, but that did not seem to help. I really
> appreciate your help. I am not great at making things too clear. I
> hoped this helped. I am going to check the usb connection. Happy New
> Year, and I hope you have more ideas. tom
> Roy Schestowitz wrote:
> > I too read your message Tom (many hours ago), but I thought it
lacked
> > detail. The USB option that Guy mentioned tripped me up for the
first
> time
> > yesterday, after 2.5 years of Palm use. Luckily, it burned only
10-15
> > minutes of my time.
> >
> > Earlier I was going to suggest to you that you reset the Palm; even
> hard
> > reset. Then, try looking at the error logs for some clues. What is
> the
> > exact message that you get? Try Googling it...
> >
> > Roy
> >
> > --
> > Roy Schestowitz
> > http://schestowitz.com
> >
> > Guy Bannis wrote:
> >
> > > Tom, you have given no new information to go by. For example,
what
> does
> > > "comes up busy" mean? What do you see on the screen?
> > >
> > > So I'll take a shot in the dark: have you checked the Connection
> Settings
> > > in HotSync Setup? And in those Connection Settings, have you
> checked
> > > "USB"?
> > >
> > > In article
<1104375617.167581.322830@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

> came
> tried it
> works
> Hotsync
> <1104369000.470908.186530@z14g2000cwz.googlegroups.com>,

> operation.
> hotsync it
> up
> Is
> sure

> before and

> your
Desktop?

December 30, 2004 5:09:48 PM

It is stating that Conuit Manager file is busy. tom
December 30, 2004 5:21:46 PM

I got the solution for the web - Just so Roy and Guy know . Thanks
guys.
PROBLEM --

Since I've installed a newly announced(4/8/04) Virex 7.5. I get "File
Busy"
when I Quit Palm Desktop 4.1, and or try to HotSync to my Tungsten T3,
and
then HotSync Quits.

I've also noticed that my programs launch slower after I installed
Virex 7.5

SOLUTION --

I've Deleted Virex Log in Item, and I was still getting File Busy when
Quitting PD, and I CAN'T HOTSYNC -- I am SCREWED!

I re-installed PD from the CD that came with my Tungsten T3. The
PROBLEM
STILL EXISTS.

In Finder I search for items containing "Virex", and Deleted them, with
the
exception of a couple of Saved Virex Reports. After Restart, the
PROBLEM IS
GONE! I.e. Open-Quit Palm Desktop is OK, and HotSync is fine.

I've Secure Deleted Virex 7.5, then I logged into my .Mac, and
downloaded
and Installed my previous version of Virex 7.2 (free Download) -- NO
PROBLEMS!!!

CONCLUSION --

Virex 7.5 is Beta. Whether it protects against the newly announced Mac
OS X
Trojan Horse http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/2004/04/08/trojan/ I
don't know.

This explanation from a friend, a former Apple employee put my mind
somewhat at ease:

-----------------------
Looks like you're safe. Here is the skinny on the virus for OS X and
the virus on your computer:

The virus for OS X is found within MP3 files. And just having it on
your machine does nothing. As of yet, it is not out, its just something
that can happen. Here is a quote from Symantec, "It is a proof of
concept Trojan that does affect the Mac platform, however it is
currently not present in the wild. Symantec Security Response will
continue to closely monitor this and any other potential threats to the
Mac OS X platform." Note that they used the phrase 'not present in the
wild', this means that it can be done, but hasn't been done yet.

The Viruses on your mac are Windows viruses, and cannot affect your
computer at all. Here is a link for details on the virus on your
machine: http://vil.nai.com/vil/content/v_100662.htm

Basically, the only way someone would get the virus from you is if you
forwarded the virus manually. Since it is a windows virus, it cannot
compromise your machine. It also appears to be in your deleted mail
folder. So if you compact empty, or expunge that folder (depending on
the term used by your mail program), it will go away....

If your virus software uses a similar resource/file as the Palm
software, it may cause a conflict when palm software tries to quit. I
would recommend sending the Virex people a note and see if they are
aware of any issues with the software... Sounds like a
standard software conflict that needs to be addressed by the software
vendors, and since it has only occurred after installing Virex, I would
talk to them first.
-----------------------

So, the way I understand it, in plain English, there is
"bus-train-plane-Tojan Horse" possible, that Windows SPECIFIC
Virus(es) can
take into Mac-OSX-Land:) , but, since no Mac SPECIFIC Viruses have been
discovered, yet:) , this "bus-train-plane-Tojan Horse" can only deliver
Windows SPECIFIC Virus(es) that can't harm Mac OSX computers.

Whether Mac SPECIFIC Viruses will be discovered, and when, only time
will
tell!!! Hopefully Apple will close the "holes", so that those
"bus-train-plane-Tojan Horses" can't get in...

HOPEFULLY, .Mac will provide a Virex Update that can protect us against
those "bus-train-plane-Tojan Horses", without EFFECTIVELY DISABLING
Palm
Desktop Software, and HotSync. Bad enough, we are already on a €death
row€,
given that Palm Source has OFFICIALLY dropped Mac OS Support, higher
then
10.2.6...

As to Virex 7.5 Beta, it looks like it had a lot more Options in its
Preferences, but they were quite CONFUSING! The SEEMED to be no way to
disable it from running on the Log In(Restart), or Always in the
Background,
which slowed down my Powerbook 17, 1.33Mghz.

MY ADVICE --

DO NOT INSTALL VIREX 7.5 IF YOU ARE USING PALM DESKTOP 4.1, OR AND
HOTSYNC
TO PALM PDA!!!

HOPEFULLY Virex Folks will respond to this email, as well as post a
statement on http://MacMinute.com , http://MacCentral.com and other
major
Mac News Outlets...

· Arkady