CPU heatsink from manufacturer?

Simpleton

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
I am buying an AMD ATHLON XP 3200+ Barton 400 Mhz and I wonder if I should buy the OEM version and buy a separate brand heatsink or I should buy Retail Verison that comes with its own heatsink and fan.

The CPU is goin on an ABIT NF7-S mobo and will work in conjuction with either a Radeon 9800Pro or an NVIDIAGe Force 6600GT video card.

Thanks for the opnions

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Get the retail for the better warranty. Get a Mobile OEM 2500+ for overclocking. Not overclocking, stick with stock as it will run fine with either video card you have speced.

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
The extra 5-12 bucks are always worth the 3 year warranty. OC or not, retail warranty cannot be beat.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

sobelizard

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Retail hsf is not too shabby as of late. Lots of great aftermarket hsf's, but you can use the retail one.

<font color=green><b><i>Lizards</font color=green></b> do <b>not</b> taste like <b><font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b>,<b> <font color=yellow>chicken</font color=yellow></b> tastes like <font color=green><b>lizard.</b></font color=green></i>

tweebel

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2004
Also, if you decide to buy the retail version, check what kind of cooler comes with it. I was very disappointed when I installed my "boxed" CPU, AMD had shipped it with a 5000rpm Chinamade very noisy fan and a low quality heatsink. Anyway, for about $ 10 you can buy a quiet heatsink+fan with a better cooling performance (of course not for OCing).

Simpleton

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
WUZY...wow...those pictures of your video card...I figure you had to take out the existing heatsink and fan assembly and did you use the same holes to install the one from the CPU ?...and that fancy soldering on the back of the card is yours?...why?

Simpleton

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2004
OK...how about this idea in case the CPU I order comes with a heatsink and fan other than the AVC brand as Endyen sugests...

I can ad the Thermaltake Silent Boost,,,will that be better
than the original?

endyen

Splendid
The silent boost really is more for quiet, than for cooling. If you want better cooling, the vantec aeroflow is good, or any of the zalmans that are rated for your chip. Wait till you get the chip though, and see how it runs.