Upgrade now or wait?

ChrisG27

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I'm looking to upgrade my system but I'm wonder what is coming out in the near future that would be worth waiting. I know you can always be waiting for something new to come out then, end up not upgrading at all.

Right now I'm leaning toward a AMD64 3500, 1 gig of ram (dual channel) and either a Abit or Asus motherboard.

Thanks

I would try selling your old system intact. Upgrading leaves you with spare parts, which can be hard to unload. Amd might cut prices around valentines day, according to one report. By then, nforce4 boards may be a little cheaper.

AMD101

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2004
The new revision of the A64 is the only real thing worth waiting for and its supposed to be out in jan. That would put u on sckt 939 which would leave u a lot of room for future upgrading.

pat

Expert
A hint!! hit the reply button of the message you want to reply to...not the last in the thread. I dont really care that "The new revision of the A64 is the only real thing worth waiting for and its supposed to be out in jan. That would put u on sckt 939 which would leave u a lot of room for future upgrading."

See?

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Wider availability of nForce 4 chipsets in about a month.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

ChrisG27

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2002
I am currently running a AMD 2500XP with 768ram. Motherboard is a Soltek 75drv5 (not 100% of mb model number). 9800pro AIW

Thanks for the advice.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ChrisG27 on 12/21/04 12:49 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

pat

Expert
Well,if you dont really need the AIW, then a better vid card would be a better option for now as your system is not that weak. that probably what hold your system from better performance in game.

You have enough memory as of today's standard and the board you use, while being old and based on the kt333 chipset was one of the fastest of it's kind. May not be as fast as the newer nforce2 board but surely enough. And the 2500+ in a really good performing CPU too.

The only thing that I could see is that the motherboard doesnt have a lot of ATA connectors (2) nor it has USB 2.0..

If you need more device port or usb 2.0, then an upgrade could be usefull. But if you're satisfied with your overall system speed, I would wait.

-Always put the blame on you first, then on the hardware !!!