thermal pad or silver compound

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
quick question, my new mb/cpu should be coming in soon, an AMD 64 4000+ Should i use the thermal pad that comes with it or some silver compound? on my older pentium i tossed the pad but now im hearing they're actually usually a better choice

endyen

Splendid
If you are not OCing, the pad is usually good enough. The TIM that intel uses is better than Amd's, but the Amd warranty requires you to use thier stuff. I always run it up and check temps with the stuff they send, just in case I get a bad chip.

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I used my pad at first on my A64 just to make sure I didn't void the warranty till I made sure I had a good chip. Then I scraped it off and went to silver paste. It lowered the CPU temps just a couple of degrees... so that's about the difference.

You might get a bit more difference on a chip that fast... mine was a 2800+ but I had it overclocked.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

kenshindono

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2004
so for now just use the pad eh.. how do i make sure i have a good chip? im replacing this because either my mb or old intel chip went bad so i want to make sure this ones good =P

endyen

Splendid
To make sure your chip is good, join the folding team, and run the prog for a week @ 100% cpu usage. ( it will autodetect what you are doing, and hold cpu usage at 100% so it's a great burn-in prog)

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Like he said... just use it for a while and stress it out is the really the only way to make sure.

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

endyen

Splendid
Just trying to get you to contribute to the team. Folding is a good stress test, but 24hrs will tell you if your chip will handle it. Even 1 hr will give a good indication.
You should know that a crash or two during burn-in is no big deal. The on die memory controler need a bit of a workin with the memory.