Need help - daughter's notebook won't boot !

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
My daughter phoned - in a panic - her notebook (Win2K and all her school stuff on it) won't boot-up! She tells me all she gets is a message to the extent that her 'restoration image is corrupt'. Naturally, she doesn't have a backup or emergency repair disk, so is she S.O.L.?

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
it might have something to do with a resume feature (coming out of hibernate, etc.) If she could possibly force a hard boot from scratch that may fix it. Probably something in the BIOS if it's not easily seen. Which model notebook is it?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Compaq Armada M300... Since she's away from home (college), I don't have access to it... Told her to see if anyone in the IS dept. can help her.

<b>God bless the <font color=red>U</font color=red><font color=white>S</font color=white><font color=blue>A</font color=blue></b>

jasen

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2001
I'm sure there's plenty of nerds at her school that would trip over themselves to help a girl out. :) I probably would have.
But I agree, it does not sound like a win2k error, but rather a hibernation wake-up error. The "image" it's referring to is the RAM snapshot it takes before hibernating.

pvsurfer

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
Yup, she did find a few 'nerds' on campus who simply F8'd her notebook to bootup and cleared up the slight problem. She is now back to where she was before the incident (except that I have talked her into making an ERD, just in case). :wink: