IBM T42 hard drive failure

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkwonman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
One day, the laptop wouldn't turn on, so I installed windows 7. The first 2 times, it said the files were corrupt, and failed. But the third time, it finally worked, and I got it all working. Then I restarted it, and it wouldn't go past the Windows loading screen. I got a Best Buy PC-Check CD, and it passed every category except the hard drive read. The hard drive is a 2.5" IDE, so I can't connect it to my main desktop. Can I fix this, or do I need a new hard drive?

Once they start to go it's time to rescue the data and buy a new disk on which to reinstall a system. There's a hatch held on with a couple of screws and the hard disk cylibnder graphic printed on it and that's where you'll find it. Replacements are very inexpensive - just don't look in e-Bay for a T42 drive - they're all the same with the distinction of PATA and SATA[/#000ff]

I couldn't condemn it out of hand - especially at this distance. I still recommend taking your files off while you can but then run Windows Checkdisk facility. In Mu Computer, right click teh C:\ drive and go to Propertes then Tools and press theCheck Now button. Select both the options to fix and hit OK. A message will appear tha it can't be done but should it do the check on the next restart. OK that and restart the machine.

If Windows can find and fix bad sectors or even clusters, fine and so be it but I would never really trus that drive again so I would back everything up twice as frequently as I used to.

jkwonman

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010

The problem is that I can't access Windows at all.. It always freezes at the loading screen. Is there a way a boot from a CD then check for errors?

Yes you can. Load eth CD and tipi the BIOS off to boot from that first then watch carefully for the brief message to "Hit any key to boot from CD". Let the system run as far as the part where it prompts you to hit Function 8 to accept the terms of the ELAU then the options appear either to install or repair. Hit R for Repair and at the next screen, type 1 and hit Enter. Here's where you pray to whoever that no-one set an Administrator Password without telling you.

If you get in to a Command Prompt, type chkdsk /r (including eth space) and the R switch will have the effect of finding and repairing any errors the check finds. It's a five stage process and can't be hurried but when it completes, type exit and the machine will restart and that's when you get to see if that made any difference.

kingnoobe

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2008
you shouldn't have to type nothing. If you got a windows cd *anybodys will work as long as it's the same xp/vista/7*. And do a repair I've had the same problem a few times after a power failure. And it usually works.

Status
Not open for further replies.