just read this review and watched the thg video

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
<A HREF="http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041114/index.html" target="_new">http://www20.tomshardware.com/cpu/20041114/index.html</A>

the dumb asses should really use a case with the air duct that intel says is required over 3ghz if they're gonna do this. i'm gonna get a 3.6 prescott and try the same thing... with the proper case of course.

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
Finally someone knows about air ducts other than me :p

I have a P4 2.8Ghz Prescott with air duct and right now my cpu idles at 38c

Starfishy

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2004
I am surpised to hear that you guys think it matters that much. I'm not saying that it doesn't matter, cause I really don't know if it does. I'm just saying that it surprises me. I guess this means that in the future we will have to upgrade our case every time we upgrade our CPU, and pretty much everyone upgrades their mobo already when they upgrade their CPU. Upgrading is soon going to become "buying a new computer" everytime we "upgrade".

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
the dumb asses should really use a case with the air duct that intel says is required over 3ghz if they're gonna do this.
Perhaps. Keep in mind that "special" case requirements like this are a bit of a liability (<i>see also</i> <b>BTX</b> :tongue: ). Also keep in mind that a similar ducting arrangement could be used with an AMD64 system (and should if you want a proper comparison).

i'm gonna get a 3.6 prescott and try the same thing... with the proper case of course.
Go right ahead.

<i>"Intel's ICH6R SouthBridge, now featuring RAID -1"

"RAID-minus-one?"

"Yeah. You have two hard drives, neither of which can actually boot."</i>

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
it may not matter at all but how would we know? the point is they should follow the spec when they do tests even if they don't think it matters.

ZER0

Distinguished
Mar 9, 2001
i sell a ton of them and we've been using cases with air ducts for over a year, ever since the 3.06/533 came out.

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
Not to be an ass, but the only reason they even tried that experiment was because they were having problems WITHOUT any case!!! Ducts make little to no difference as long as you know what you're doing when you set up your case fans.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.