THG Stress Out Test One brings two

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
The Intel system crashed again after only 1 day since the last reboot, I guess when a problem happens it means more will come faster.

Horay to AMD and MSI.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/hardware/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=196402#196402" target="_new">Dupe</A>

What happened to your website?

<A HREF="http://www.moviewavs.com/MP3S/TV_Shows/Simpsons/flanderssong.mp3" target="_new">Audio Sig</A>|<A HREF="http://community.tomshardware.com/images/logo_black_xmas2.gif" target="_new">I made this!</A>

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
Intelreviews.com was ran by me and hawk16.

It was hosted in <A HREF="http://www.zoneserv.com" target="_new">www.zoneserv.com</A> which <A HREF="http://www.zoneserv.com/dearall.html" target="_new">suffered a hack</A> that deleted the entire zoneserve content including our site.

Because hawk16 paid for intelreviews.com domain, it is up to him if he wants to bring intelreviews.com back.

Have a good one.

poindexter

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2004
I've been building pc's since the 8086 days and have never seen one that reboots instantly like your mysterious Intel system has done twice. Please explain how it's possible to reboot a system twice during a test and accumulate no "down" time.

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Did they not state it was the power supply.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

Xeon

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2004
Sure they very well might have had the better PSU, but regardless the PSU failed as stated in the article.

Xeon

<font color=red>Post created with being a dickhead in mind.</font color=red>
<font color=white>For all emotional and slanderous statements contact THG for all law suits.</font color=white>

BeyRevRa

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2004
Yeah the article pretty clearly states that the PSU failed on the Intel. To be honest I can't see either of the processors failing, the quality and stability of processors is really not a concern to me anymore. As for the temperatures... that is DEFINITELY incorrect. I have worked with both processors... scotty and the 64... and the 64 runs much much cooler. Something has to be wrong with the readings.

AMD 64 3200+ (939) (Working on overclocking it)
MSI K8N Neo2 Platinum
1 GB OCZ El Platinum clocked at 2.5-4-4-10
EVGA Geforce 6800 GT
2x WD Raptor 74GB Raid 0

yesdiseases

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2002
So basically, this whole "stress test" has been useless due to the power supply. I especially like the paragraph:

"Tagan's weaknesses are not new to us. A total of five power supplies suddenly failed in our labs during the past year. A newly designed and rubberized casing is unlikely to improve the reliability of the devices."

And yet they decided to use the power supplies in a STRESS test. I mean, cmon...are you trying to test the crappiness of the power supply or the stability of the processors?

I think this whole test is useless and says nothing about Amd or Intel

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
As for the temperatures... that is DEFINITELY incorrect. I have worked with both processors... scotty and the 64... and the 64 runs much much cooler. Something has to be wrong with the readings.
Maybe, or maybe not. They aren't operating inside of a case and they don't even have identical HSFs. So who knows how that might affect things? :\

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

slvr_phoenix

Splendid
Dec 31, 2007
And yet they decided to use the power supplies in a STRESS test. I mean, cmon...are you trying to test the crappiness of the power supply or the stability of the processors?
I have to agree. It seems to me that they had more than fair indication of poor quality from Tagan. I can't imagine why they thought that now would be a good time to see if Tagan improved any. :\

I think this whole test is useless and says nothing about Amd or Intel
I have to agree. It makes no sense to me. I guess that they just wanted some sort of wizzy high-tech article or something. Too bad that it looks to be completely meaningless.

I miss the old days when THG actually had in-depth articles explaining technologies and detailed overclocking studies. You know ... when it was technical instead of marketing.

<pre><b><font color=red>"Build a man a fire and he's warm for the rest of the evening.
Set a man on fire and he's warm for the rest of his life." - Steve Taylor</font color=red></b></pre><p>

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
yeah i relaly htink this wa sa waste of time for them. and i also think they realize that now, sort of wiht egg on thier face by doing it live in fornt of everyone. they cant even get the intel system stable enough to do real testing. maybe they will learn somehting form all of this lol.

it is kind of funny that through all of this its been one thing or another about the intel system that causes a failure, from power supply to thier own bad install.

one thing i missed, do both systems use the same type of power supply? if so, that would mean it seems the amd system is easier on the power uspply then the intel system is, if the amd one is using a tagan power supply as well.

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
THG had said they had problems with tagan psu in the past but they thought tagan fixed those problems.

So maybe it not because AMD is easier on the tagan psu, it is because there are random faulty units floating around.

Or could be both reasons together, AMD is easier on psu and there are some tagan psu that work fine with Intel and some that will crash.

<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>

darko21

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2003
<<But why did THG chose a Tegan PSU>>

Don't be so quick to blame the Tegan PSU, 3rd reboot just happened.

If I glanced at a spilt box of tooth picks on the floor, could I tell you how many are in the pile. Not a chance, But then again I don't have to buy my underware at Kmart.

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
that 3rd reboot is part of the plan of THG, notice AMD and Intel both reboot at the same time.

They said they gonna switch the video cards at the some point and later they said they will case the systems.

So that 3rd reboot was not a system fault, was the user :)

georgebeee

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2003
and why did they have to use the sli mobo for the intel when they can't use a similar mobo for the amd. they should have removed as many variables as they could to make the test fair.

but of course, isn't it ovious the intel is harder on psu than amd? how much power does the intel proc use compared to the amd proc. just lucky it wasn't in a case or the temp woulda had to be factored in to the stress placed on the psu also

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
I believe their idea was to use the latest offerings of both AMD and Intel platforms.

That's why they didn't use AGP for the Intel system. And it ain't SLI motherboard like you said, it is only one PCI Express x16.

trooper11

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2004
um that doesnt make sense though.

if they were using the best form both, then they would have used sli from both. the asus sli board for amd is avialable and anyone can buy them, and im sure they could have gotten a sample. i really just think this looks like a half done job that they slapped together at the last minute without thinking things through first.

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by trooper11 on 12/24/04 05:12 PM.</EM></FONT></P>