FreeDOS

Last response: in Computer Brands
July 3, 2004 8:37:01 PM

I notice that Dell is offering some computers with FreeDOS installed. Of
what use is FreeDOS?

dj tuchler

More about : freedos

Anonymous
July 3, 2004 8:37:02 PM

"Dennis J. Tuchler" <dennis.tuchler@earthlink.net> wrote:

>I notice that Dell is offering some computers with FreeDOS installed. Of
>what use is FreeDOS?

Not installed. The computers are shipped OS-less, with a FreeDOS
disk. Intended for people who want to install their own, non-MS
OS.

See the "Dell - Linux desktops" thread started by that famed
comedian, the late Lenny Bruce. Someone posted a link to the
Dell "n" Dimension pages.
--
OJ III
July 3, 2004 11:31:37 PM

"Dennis J. Tuchler" <dennis.tuchler@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:p an.2004.07.03.18.42.59.447784@earthlink.net...
> I notice that Dell is offering some computers with FreeDOS installed. Of
> what use is FreeDOS?

It supposedly allows Dell to stay in compliance with a Microsoft
contract that requires them to only sell PC's with an OS.

http://news.com.com/2100-1001-949671.html
Anonymous
July 4, 2004 2:44:59 AM

FreeDOS is what its name implies. It is a royalty-free implementaion of DOS,
more or less compatible with DOS 6.2 or maybe DOS 7.0. Yes, Micro$oft still
collects royalties from people who want to license DOS.

A lot of the self-contained and free software (e.g. a flash BIOS diskette) that
comes available these days uses either a FreeDOS or DR-DOS kernel as the basis
for a bootable floppy diskette. That way, Micro$oft doesn't get its royalty for
every copy downloaded... Ben Myers

On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:37:01 GMT, "Dennis J. Tuchler"

!