FreeDOS

I notice that Dell is offering some computers with FreeDOS installed. Of
what use is FreeDOS?

dj tuchler
3 answers Last reply
More about freedos

    "Dennis J. Tuchler" <dennis.tuchler@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >I notice that Dell is offering some computers with FreeDOS installed. Of
    >what use is FreeDOS?

    Not installed. The computers are shipped OS-less, with a FreeDOS
    disk. Intended for people who want to install their own, non-MS
    OS.

    See the "Dell - Linux desktops" thread started by that famed
    comedian, the late Lenny Bruce. Someone posted a link to the
    Dell "n" Dimension pages.
    --
    OJ III

    "Dennis J. Tuchler" <dennis.tuchler@earthlink.net> wrote in message news:pan.2004.07.03.18.42.59.447784@earthlink.net...
    > I notice that Dell is offering some computers with FreeDOS installed. Of
    > what use is FreeDOS?

    It supposedly allows Dell to stay in compliance with a Microsoft
    contract that requires them to only sell PC's with an OS.

    http://news.com.com/2100-1001-949671.html

    FreeDOS is what its name implies. It is a royalty-free implementaion of DOS,
    more or less compatible with DOS 6.2 or maybe DOS 7.0. Yes, Micro$oft still
    collects royalties from people who want to license DOS.

    A lot of the self-contained and free software (e.g. a flash BIOS diskette) that
    comes available these days uses either a FreeDOS or DR-DOS kernel as the basis
    for a bootable floppy diskette. That way, Micro$oft doesn't get its royalty for
    every copy downloaded... Ben Myers

    On Sat, 03 Jul 2004 16:37:01 GMT, "Dennis J. Tuchler"
    <dennis.tuchler@earthlink.net> wrote:

    >I notice that Dell is offering some computers with FreeDOS installed. Of
    >what use is FreeDOS?
    >
    >dj tuchler

Dell Computers