Problems with crossover cable

Last response: in Networking
September 20, 2004 11:44:16 PM

I am having trouble with a crossover cable under windows
xp. The system doesn't recognize that the cable is
connected to the nic, but on a win98se computer, it works
perfectly fine. I have tried switching the NICs so that
is not the problem and I am suspecting that Windows XP
has issues with crossover cables. Is there a patch or fix
for this?
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 4:06:04 AM

How are you using the crossover cable? What is it doing under Win98SE that
you're happy with? I'm pretty sure you can't "mess up" the cable's
functionality with an operating system, but if you're using it to connect
two computers directly for peer services (e.g. sharing folders) then you
need to have static IP addresses on each machine. This may be your setting
in '98 that's not set in XP. Just an educated guess from what you said
above!
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 4:54:04 AM

Windows XP doesn't have any problem with crossover cables.

<anthonyvidal@prodigy.net> wrote in message
>I am having trouble with a crossover cable under windows
> xp. The system doesn't recognize that the cable is
> connected to the nic, but on a win98se computer, it works
> perfectly fine. I have tried switching the NICs so that
> is not the problem and I am suspecting that Windows XP
> has issues with crossover cables. Is there a patch or fix
> for this?
September 21, 2004 5:52:30 PM

Well, under Xp, there isn't any ip address for the NIC so
the first replyer was right. I have it set to
automatically get the ip but when I go into ipconfig from
the comand prompt, there is no ip address for any nic
that I put into any Xp system(home, pro, sp1, and sp2,
OEM, or Microsoft product I have tried)
Anonymous
September 21, 2004 5:59:44 PM

I just have one end connected to the NIC is either
computer. Under ipconfig, it says that the media is
disconnected from my NIC
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 1:17:04 AM

I set up the ip numbers, but under ipconfig, the only
thinds undr my NIC in my XP computer is it's physical
adddress and it says media disconnected, and yes, it is a
crossover cable.
Anonymous
September 22, 2004 3:33:55 AM

That won't work. Where will it get the IP address from?

"Automatically get IP address" requires a DHCP server, which only runs on
routers and a server OS like Windows Server 2003. You have to manually
assign IP addresses when using a crossover cable. Make sure they're in the
same subnet - for instance, assign one computer 192.168.1.10 and the other
192.168.1.11.

And you're sure that this is a crossover cable? Look at the plugs on teh
cable - is the middle pair switched? If not, it's not a crossover cable.

> Well, under Xp, there isn't any ip address for the NIC so
> the first replyer was right. I have it set to
> automatically get the ip but when I go into ipconfig from
> the comand prompt, there is no ip address for any nic
> that I put into any Xp system(home, pro, sp1, and sp2,
> OEM, or Microsoft product I have tried)
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 4:42:35 AM

> I set up the ip numbers, but under ipconfig, the only
> thinds undr my NIC in my XP computer is it's physical
> adddress and it says media disconnected, and yes, it is a
> crossover cable.

Hmmm. Usually "media disconnected" is a hardware issue (that is, cord
unplugged), but if it worked for '98 then it can't be that. If you set each
computer to use a specific IP address, those should come up in ipconfig/all.
Can you post the result of ipconfig/all (of course blotting out any specific
information you feel you need to keep secure, but leaving the line title.
Nothing in that report should be sensitive, but I want you to feel secure),
because since Windows NT 3.5 ipconfig usually helps for this kind of thing.

> And you're sure that this is a crossover cable? Look at the plugs on
> teh [sic] cable - is the middle pair switched? If not, it's not a
> crossover cable.

As far as the correct wiring, it should be right if it worked under '98, but
the correct order is:
plug 1: orange, orange/white, green, blue/white, blue, green/white, brown,
brown/white and
plug 2: green, green/white, orange, blue/white, blue, orange/white, brown,
brown/white,
OR
plug 2: green, green/white, orange, brown/white, brown, orange/white, blue,
blue/white.
That's from memory, so if it's wrong someone correct me. Otherwise, if
that's not the order of the wires when you look through the clear part of
the plug, I don't know what kind of crazy moon network was working on your
'98 setup :)

Assuming your cable and NIC card are good (that is, work under Win98) then
we're to the Network Settings dialog, which should be diagnosed by the
ipconfig/all results.
Anonymous
September 23, 2004 8:55:18 AM

C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ANTHONY-
U5839H9
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media
disconnected
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
RTL8139 Family PCI Fast Ethe
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-47-04-
06-DE

PPP adapter SBC Yahoo! (Troy):

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : WAN
(PPP/SLIP) Interface
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-53-45-00-
00-00
Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : No
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . :
255.255.255.255
206.13.28.12

I am sure it is a crossover cable, the wiring in it goes:
plug 1: green, green, white, blue, blue, orange, brown,
brown
Plug 2: orange, orange, green, blue, blue, green, brown ,
brown
Anonymous
September 24, 2004 1:37:07 AM

> Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media disconnected
> Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek ...
> Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-47-04-06-DE

You're right about the cable, it's a crossover.

Assuming you do not have any spyware dialers, nor any broadband utilities
installed, read on. If you do have broadband utilities (e.g. PPPoE virtual
adapters), they hijack these settings and I can't help you. If you are
clean, then...

Right-Click on "Network Neighborhood" and choose properties. In the network
connections window, choose your Realtek adapter ("Local Area Connection"
will be the name), right-click and choose properties. In the "General" tab
there should be a scrolling box with several items, one of which is
"Internet Protocol(TCP/IP)." Click on that, and then the bright
"Properties" button directly beneath the scrolling box. In the general tab
choose the "Use the following IP address" bullet, and fill in:

IP Address: 168.192.2.5
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway: 168.192.2.1 (will be ignored, but I don't think they like
it blank).
Then choose the "Use the following DNS Server addresses"
Preferred DNS Server: 131.183.1.4
Alternate DNS Server: 131.183.1.1 (These will also be ignored, but shouldn't
be blank).

Click "OK" about 25 times, then restart. On the other computer, do the same
EXCEPT make the IP Address 168.192.2.6 instead (same first three numbers,
different last one). Reboot there too.

The specific numbers aren't that important (so you can use variants you know
work), but I can see that they're not there in IPConfig. After you do this,
then your IPConfig results should have more info for this adapter.

If this doesn't clear up the media disconnected, then there's a 99% chance
you've got a hardware problem (again, assuming there's not something
chomping up your Ethernet protocol like a PPPoE driver or spyware dialer).
Anonymous
September 25, 2004 1:57:27 PM

This is till what I get in ipconfig after entering that
info and rechecking it three times:

C:\Documents and Settings\Anthony>ipconfig /all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : ANTHONY-
U5839H9
Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Media State . . . . . . . . . . . : Media
disconnecte
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Realtek
RTL8139 F
rnet NIC
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-90-47-04-
06-DE

go here to see some images:
http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/anthonyvidal/br666network...
n.html
Anonymous
September 27, 2004 3:00:43 AM

> This is till what I get in ipconfig after entering that
> info and rechecking it three times:
> go here to see some images:
> http://www.angelfire.com/alt2/anthonyvidal/br666network...

You couldn't have done better! The following article suggested that you
disable your firewire (1394) network connection,
http://www.annoyances.org/exec/forum/winxp/1076593857 , but I don't know
that this is actually necessary. If I were over someone's house and this
was on their screen like it is on yours, I'd conclude that you had a
hardware problem (either a bad conductor in the crossover, or one of the
Ethernet cards bad). I'm sorry I can't give you anything better!
!