Sign in with
Your question

Blue Screen Common Denominator: ntoskrnl.exe

Last response: in Windows 7
December 14, 2012 6:39:30 PM

Hi, I have been experiencing very frequent BSOD recently for about the past month or two, increasing in frequency over the past week or so.
It seems to occur mostly during the times that I play games like tf2 on steam, but it has occurred simply during times when I was using steam or closing it.

I have installed a program called Blue-Screen View so I have all the information for my crashes, the BSOD that seems to occur the most (7 out of 15 times) is Memory Management. I'll put down some information about the different BSOD that I have experienced below with their frequency on the end out of the 21 I have experienced:

Bug Check String: Bug Check Code: Caused by Driver: Crash Address: Times Occured
MEMORY_MANAGEMENT:0x0000001a:ntoskrnl.exe:ntoskrnl.exe+7efc0 (10/21 times)
IRQL_NOT_LESS_OR_EQUAL:0x0000000a:tdx.sys:tdx.sys+1b01 (2/21 times)
ATTEMPTED_WRITE_TO_READONLY_MEMORY:0x000000be:ntoskrnl.exe:ntoskrnl.exe+7efc0 (1/21 times)
PAGE_FAULT_IN_NONPAGED_AREA:0x00000050:ntoskrnl.exe:ntoskrnl.exe+7efc0 (5/21 times)
NTFS_FILE_SYSTEM:0x00000024:Ntfs.sys: Ntfs.sys+48d8 (1/21 times)
BAD_POOL_HEADER :0x00000019:ntoskrnl.exe:ntoskrnl.exe+7efc0 (3/21 times)

If you need me to list any other information please do ask and I will!
I have yet to run Memtest86+ but Windows Memory Test revealed no errors.

I run Windows Home Premium (64 bit) on an Intel I7 2700k CPU overclocked to 4.4Ghz on a Asus P8P67 Deluxe Motherboard.
My Case is The Cooler Master HAF-X Blue Edition, and my graphics Card is one MSI N560GTX-Ti Twin Frozr II 2GD5/OC card.
My Ram totals at 16gb: consisting of 2 sets of G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 cards.
I have one Western Digital WD Black 1.5 Terabyte Hard-drive and one SAMSUNG 830 Series MZ-7PC128D/AM 2.5" 128GB SATA III MLC Internal Solid State Drive (SSD).
Lastly, My Disk Drive is an ASUS 24X DVD Burner.

Please any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for reading and I am open to any suggestions about how to fix this! My computer has constantly been doing this and it is really getting worrisome, anything to stop this would be amazing!
Thanks!
December 14, 2012 8:45:39 PM

Is there a working RAM stick outside of your system you can use to test? As you already know, BSODs are common signs of faulty memory blocks.

1x2GB or 1x4GB stick will suffice.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 14, 2012 9:09:46 PM

If you don't have known good memory from outside the memory, try this:

- Remove the 2nd set of 4Gb sticks from the secondary memory slots and attempt to recreate the issue.
- If the issue occurred again, it is possible you have either a bad set of memory or it may be the sockets themselves.
- If the error did not occur, it is likely that there is an issue with the secondary set of memory. Install that set in the first set of slots and see if the issue occurs again to re-confirm your suspicions
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2012 1:23:32 AM

I will test the second option next chance I get! I'll update this with any results once completed
m
l
January 9, 2013 9:42:09 PM

Updated my Thread with new crashes and numbers on which ones are occuring, going to test the recreation of the issue with the 2nd set of sticks removed.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
January 9, 2013 10:00:19 PM

Cheeseluigi said:
Updated my Thread with new crashes and numbers on which ones are occuring, going to test the recreation of the issue with the 2nd set of sticks removed.

With the blue screens being related to ntoskernal as well I'm beginning to wonder if it's not something to do with one of the HDDs in the computer.

I would recommend creating a Hirens Boot CD and utilize some of the options available to attempt to resolve your issue. Namely run memtest86+ and even run some of the HDD diags to see if anything kicks up.
m
l
January 9, 2013 11:04:58 PM

Already made a memtest+ boot disk, I am actually running it right now! I'll make a Hirens right after this one, going to let it run for 4 + hours
m
l
January 19, 2013 9:52:18 PM

Ok so I ran memtest+ and it got through 9 passes before it became unresponsive.

I'll test the HDD next
m
l
January 19, 2013 9:53:14 PM

Also if has been blue screening almost every time I play tf2 now.
m
l
!