Driver Install Issues Asus R503U-RH21

gamechief

Distinguished
Jun 7, 2011
Hello Everyone,

I bought this laptop at my local microcenter took it home set it up and after 3 hours of time with windows 8 I thought it was just simply trash and i moved to unload. Popped in the Win7 installation disc and removed all partitions and installed win7 on the drive by itself. After installation finished, and 100's of updates later i move to try to install the win7 atk drivers off the asus support website and bam i get hit with an error.(See Below)

Untitled.png

Could anyone provide any insight as to what needs to be done to resolve this issue. I am contemplating that something has to be changed in the Hardware.ini file but im not sure on the process.

Link to Laptop R503U Specs:
http://www.frys.com/product/7345134?source=googleps&gclid=CPrzvpL5mrQCFcxAMgodCGAAGA

cellis

Honorable
Dec 23, 2012
I just finished doing the exact same thing. I ended up using the drivers from AMD's website for the GPU, Chipset, and SATA controller. Then flashed the bios to update and installed the rest of the drivers from asus' support site for the touchpad and hotkeys etc. With 8 gb of ram and windows 7 this is actually a very quick little machine.

Also I recommend doing a clean install again and leaving out the ASUS bloatware.

peter_59

Honorable
Mar 1, 2013

dear cellis –

if you have a minute I have a similar situation, but not exactly the same.
my son’s hp laptop died – it was running windows 7 with a 320 gb sata laptop drive. we replaced the hp with the asus r503u rh21 laptop (it too has a sata laptop hard drive). it is a nice machine, but windows 8 is abit difficult and really all the software and data files he needs for school are on the hp laptop hard drive that we removed from the hp.

thus, basically what we would like to do is pull the hd out of the asus and replace with the previous hp hard drive, but it appears the asus is ‘formatted’? for windows 8 and won’t handle the hp hard drive with windows 7 operating syste.

as you seem to have sorted this out by flashing the bios to allow the rh21 to accept windows 7, do we also need to reset the bios to handle windows 7?, and if so, could you itemize the steps we need to take to locate the files and flash the machine to accept the hp hard drive swap.

thanks very much – peter.