NASCAR Just Over 100 plays dimples?

Last response: in Video Games
September 7, 2005 8:22:45 PM

i have dimples a lot of them just over 100 plays what should I do?
thx guys
derek
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 9:54:51 PM

Just wait to a 1000 plays
September 7, 2005 10:14:25 PM

I saw one today that had hundreds of dimples with very low play. What
is Stern making these pf's out of, balsa?

Al
September 7, 2005 10:17:59 PM

IT,s all about cost good wood cost more,english speaking help same
thing more money
Anonymous
September 7, 2005 10:34:03 PM

Get the new and improved harder foam for behind the stand up targets to cut
down on air balls. LTG :)

<bigd849498@cs.com> wrote in message
> i have dimples a lot of them just over 100 plays what should I do?
> thx guys
> derek

Anonymous
September 7, 2005 11:00:08 PM

probably the same wood wms did since their games dimpled like a
golfball as well. it is a fricking metal ball people, IT -WILL- DIMPLE
WOOD!!! :-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:46:29 AM

ROFLMAO!

Kevin L'Heureux wrote:

> There is only one logocal thing you can do, sell it!
>

> --
> Pins - M*M - M*B - A*FM - R*FM - ST*TNG - L*OTR - R*F
>
> Vids - D*nkey Kong
>
> Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C - C*V - W*H20
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:54:46 AM

Is it just me or has Koz done an about face since his trip to the Stern
factory I remember seeing on here awhile back? Seems he used to rail on
them as much as anyone here, now one bad word and he rides out on his
horse carrying the Stern standard to defend the kingdom. My point isn't
Stern is so bad but he sure seems to be drinkin' the Stern koolaid
these days. 8-)

Al

BTW, is Stern koolaid grape or cherry? ;-)

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> probably the same wood wms did since their games dimpled like a
> golfball as well. it is a fricking metal ball people, IT -WILL- DIMPLE
> WOOD!!! :-)
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:23:28 AM

How does language impact pinball manufacturing?

Usually I ignore such statements, but come on.

Andrew

BUYBEST@AOL.COM wrote:
> IT,s all about cost good wood cost more,english speaking help same
> thing more money
September 8, 2005 2:05:16 AM

Pinball has enough problems pushing it to the grave. Low quality is
one more big shove. Way to go Stern.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:07:51 AM

Im surprised it even lasted 100 plays - stern must be crankin up the
Quality control.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:21:27 AM

Wouldn't some of that real nifty 'automotive clearcoat' help? What
would it cost to them throw down on a coat or two? Stern PF's are
garbage. I think they sub out to crayon wielding grade schoolers.

-Gregg B
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:06:47 AM

15. PinDude Sep 8, 1:21 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: "PinDude" <gixxerdude1...@yahoo.com> - Find messages by this
author
Date: 7 Sep 2005 22:21:27 -0700
Subject: Re: NASCAR Just Over 100 plays dimples?
original | Report Abuse

Wouldn't some of that real nifty 'automotive clearcoat' help? What
would it cost to them throw down on a coat or two? Stern PF's are
garbage. I think they sub out to crayon wielding grade schoolers.

-Gregg B

hey smarts, the automotive clear won't help. in fact, those syrup cc
pf's will dimple just as much. so get a new theory :-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:09:29 AM

14. Cayle George Sep 8, 1:07 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: "Cayle George" <caylegeo...@gmail.com> - Find messages by this
author
Date: 7 Sep 2005 22:07:51 -0700
original | Report Abuse

Im surprised it even lasted 100 plays - stern must be crankin up the
Quality control.
sooo, either you don't own a pinball machine or you don't play the ones
you have, which is it? you mean to tell me pins in your collection
don't dimple? obviously you must not own cv, mm, ngg, cc, mb, or any
other wms cookine cutter games ;-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:11:08 AM

13. JDix Sep 8, 1:05 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: "JDix" <jennysti...@yahoo.com> - Find messages by this author
Date: 7 Sep 2005 22:05:16 -0700
original | Report Abuse

Pinball has enough problems pushing it to the grave. Low quality is
one more big shove. Way to go Stern.
are you really this ignorant? yes, i guess you are. try and learn a
little before you open your music box huh? :-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:16:59 AM

12. Kenbo Sep 8, 12:28 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: Kenbo <K...@NOqsolvJUNKMAIL.com> - Find messages by this author
Date: Wed, 07 Sep 2005 21:28:24 -0700
original | Report Abuse

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 03:43:16 +0000 (UTC), d...@xmission.xmission.com

(Daina Pettit) wrote:

>The ball's normal action is like an occasional soft tap on the playfield
>with a ball peen hammer!

I dropped a ball on oak hardwood floors and it dimpled (Wife wasn't
too happy). Surely a playfield would do the same. The only wood that
wouldn't dimple would probably be something like Ipe, and then a
playfield would cost about $200 just for the wood.

so true. i guess when cars get dings from rocks the bitchers stop
driving them or buy from a different car company whose cars don't ding,
huh ;-)

people on this board act like dimples on pf's havn't been happening for
the last decade+.

it's funny how no-one bitched when t-2's started to look like
orbitor's, AND THOSE PF'S DID TOO with all the lifting inserts to boot.
;-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:28:37 AM

10. Superpin Al Sep 7, 11:54 pm show options

>>>Is it just me or has Koz done an about face since his trip to the Stern
factory I remember seeing on here awhile back?

it is you, and what stern factory trip would you be talking about? last
expo? the expo before that? the dozen+ times before that? or back when
they were sega? try to be specific.

>>>Seems he used to rail on
them as much as anyone here, now one bad word and he rides out on his
horse carrying the Stern standard to defend the kingdom.

wtf are you talking about? WE ARE TALKING D-I-M-P-L-E-S HERE. you have
never seen dimples in playfields before? are you a freaking NEWBIE?
because anyone who says dimples are some stern creation due to poor
quality is a f-ing IDIOT. PERIOD. END OF STORY :-)

>>>My point isn't
Stern is so bad but he sure seems to be drinkin' the Stern koolaid
these days. 8-)

yeah, i never rip on stern. NEVER. you absolutely right.

are you a newbie or something?

ever see the word R.I.P.leys before? yeah, i made that up. it is SOOO
PRO STERN HUH? i call things as i see them, always have, always will.
you are just too uneducated in pinball to KNOW that pf dimples have
been around longer than your presence here on rgp. A LOT
L---O---N---G---E---R ;-)

>>>Al

>>>BTW, is Stern koolaid grape or cherry? ;-)

well, i do know the cake batter is "stupid" and you licked the bowl
clean. give me a break...

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> probably the same wood wms did since their games dimpled like a
> golfball as well. it is a fricking metal ball people, IT -WILL- DIMPLE
> WOOD!!! :-)

> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:07:45 AM

Back then (T2 time) people played it at the local arcade so they didn't
care if the game was damaged or didn't held up well.. it wasn't their
investment.
All people wanted was 50cent worth of gameplay.
Now they own a machine and want $4000 worth of gameplay.
That's a big difference.

Aeneas.
--http://www.flippers.be
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 5:10:19 AM

On 2005-09-07 16:22:45 -0700, bigd849498@cs.com said:

> i have dimples a lot of them just over 100 plays what should I do?
> thx guys
> derek

There is only one logocal thing you can do, sell it!

--
Pins - M*M - M*B - A*FM - R*FM - ST*TNG - L*OTR - R*F

Vids - D*nkey Kong

Past Pins - H*S#1 - T*Z - H*S #2 - C*C - S*C - C*V - W*H20
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:18:03 AM

21. Aeneas Verhe Sep 8, 4:07 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: "Aeneas Verhe" <ave...@gmail.com> - Find messages by this author

Date: 8 Sep 2005 01:07:45 -0700
original | Report Abuse

Back then (T2 time) people played it at the local arcade so they didn't

care if the game was damaged or didn't held up well.. it wasn't their
investment.
All people wanted was 50cent worth of gameplay.
Now they own a machine and want $4000 worth of gameplay.
That's a big difference.

Aeneas.
LOL, well they ain't gonna get it. if they don't like it, don't buy it.
it's pretty simple. even if stern went to a wood as hard as oak, it
would still dimple. you guys are asking for something that will NEVER
happen. do you honestly think their is a sliver of a chance that stern
is going to use a different kind of playfield material when pinball
companies have been using the same stuff for DECADES? WAKE UP!

what is next, not wanting playfields to chip? lol.

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 7:43:16 AM

In article <1126135365.065720.31080@g43g2000cwa.googlegroups.com>,
<bigd849498@cs.com> wrote:
>i have dimples a lot of them just over 100 plays what should I do?
>thx guys
>derek

Either relax or freak out! This is normal. I've seen brand new games in a
showroom with dimples in the playfield.

If you relax, you'll enjoy your game. If you freak out, you'll not want to
play it too much for fear of damaging the playfield and you'll eventually
sell the game with low mileage.

The ball's normal action is like an occasional soft tap on the playfield
with a ball peen hammer!

--
Daina Pettit=daina@xmission.com, voice: (801)277-6296, msg: (801)277-0888
UNIX Consulting Salt Lake City, Utah http://www.MrPinball.com

On Thu, 8 Sep 2005 03:43:16 +0000 (UTC), daina@xmission.xmission.com
(Daina Pettit) wrote:

>The ball's normal action is like an occasional soft tap on the playfield
>with a ball peen hammer!

I dropped a ball on oak hardwood floors and it dimpled (Wife wasn't
too happy). Surely a playfield would do the same. The only wood that
wouldn't dimple would probably be something like Ipe, and then a
playfield would cost about $200 just for the wood.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 9:35:15 AM

Yes, sadly more folks are worried about their
"investment" than the game or gameplay. "Cabinet
play" is also big on the older pins...

Fred
TX
CARGPB#8
================================

Aeneas Verhe wrote:
> Back then (T2 time) people played it at the local arcade so they didn't
> care if the game was damaged or didn't held up well.. it wasn't their
> investment.
> All people wanted was 50cent worth of gameplay.
> Now they own a machine and want $4000 worth of gameplay.
> That's a big difference.

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 10:47:18 AM

Kevin L'Heureux wrote:
> On 2005-09-07 16:22:45 -0700, bigd849498@cs.com said:
>
> > i have dimples a lot of them just over 100 plays what should I do?
> > thx guys
> > derek
>
> There is only one logocal thing you can do, sell it!

You are SO bad!!

A full playfield mylar would help, but not entirely elminiate the
problem.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 10:57:01 AM

Isn't Stern getting their pfs from the SAME SOURCE as WMS did?
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:01:23 AM

Superpin Al wrote:
> Is it just me or has Koz done an about face since his trip to the Stern
> factory I remember seeing on here awhile back? Seems he used to rail on
> them as much as anyone here, now one bad word and he rides out on his
> horse carrying the Stern standard to defend the kingdom. My point isn't
> Stern is so bad but he sure seems to be drinkin' the Stern koolaid
> these days. 8-)

Well, Koz has been cutting them more slack ever since the rights to
some american pinball country were sold down under. ;)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:02:13 AM

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> sooo, either you don't own a pinball machine or you don't play the ones
> you have, which is it? you mean to tell me pins in your collection
> don't dimple? obviously you must not own cv, mm, ngg, cc, mb, or any
> other wms cookine cutter games ;-)

True, but there's a difference between dimpling a LOT and merely
occasional dimpling. It's just like scoop wear; when have you _ever_
seen a H*unted Ho*se with scoop wear?

I've _never_ seen one with scoop wear!

The WMS factory guys will admit that somewhere in the 90's, they
started using wood that definitely wasn't up to the previous standard.

With that said, it's not really in Stern's best interest to produce a
bulletproof game. Just as in it's not in the automaker's best interest
to produce cars that run for 250K miles.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:04:27 AM

Checked my RIB@ON. It's got printed on the side "Weber playfield,
Churchill Cabinet Co. KODDWKZABC Made in the USA".

Hope this helps...

Ping

azpinlawyer wrote:
> Isn't Stern getting their pfs from the SAME SOURCE as WMS did?
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:14:34 AM

Okay, this is driving me nuts :)

Koz, if you click on the "Show Options" link next to the post, and THEN
click Reply, it will pre-populate the previous message for you, so you
don't have to cut and paste the entire previous message for a quote
like you have been doing. It's hard to see where the quoted text ends
and your reply begins, with the way you've been doing it so far.

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> 14. Cayle George Sep 8, 1:07 am show options
>
> Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
> From: "Cayle George" <caylegeo...@gmail.com> - Find messages by this
> author
> Date: 7 Sep 2005 22:07:51 -0700
> Subject: Re: NASCAR Just Over 100 plays dimples?
> Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
> original | Report Abuse
>
> Im surprised it even lasted 100 plays - stern must be crankin up the
> Quality control.
> sooo, either you don't own a pinball machine or you don't play the ones
> you have, which is it? you mean to tell me pins in your collection
> don't dimple? obviously you must not own cv, mm, ngg, cc, mb, or any
> other wms cookine cutter games ;-)
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:30:31 AM

bigd849498@cs.com wrote:
> i have dimples a lot of them just over 100 plays what should I do?

If you want to preserve the value of the machine, the best thing to do
is not to play it heavily. Also, avoiding shots that cause lots of
airballs is probably best... I'd try not to get multiball very often,
personally.

Strategies like this have kept my HUO MM looking excellent and I'm sure
that they'll work great for you, too!
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:54:34 AM

pinballjim wrote:
> bigd849498@cs.com wrote:
> > i have dimples a lot of them just over 100 plays what should I do?
>
> If you want to preserve the value of the machine, the best thing to do
> is not to play it heavily. Also, avoiding shots that cause lots of
> airballs is probably best... I'd try not to get multiball very often,
> personally.
>
> Strategies like this have kept my HUO MM looking excellent and I'm sure
> that they'll work great for you, too!

Yeah, suuuure buddy. You don't stink at playing, you're just trying to
save your playfield.

Uh huh. :)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 11:56:08 AM

azpinlawyer wrote:
> Isn't Stern getting their pfs from the SAME SOURCE as WMS did?

Dodge makes both the Neon and the Viper, but I don't expect the parts
quality to be the same in both.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 12:32:34 PM

Rather than quote Koz's excessive verbage I'll just say,

Yes, I am a newb, compared to you guys. Couple years collecting, even
less time on RGP.

Wow, such heated reply to a little ribbing, though it does seem lately
you have been very pro-Stern and it's just funny because I'm used to
you always having a bad word for somebody or everybody. Which I enjoy
actually as I am a smart ass myself at times.

Lastly, the post I was referring to is below:

Cheers,
Al

Jul 25, 10:41 pm

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> just wanted to give props to stern for their new packing system. i
> unboxed a tspp this past weekend and the cab was FLAWLESS. after 300
> miles in the back of my pick-up, the new packing system with the foam
> pieces really came through.
>
> i figured it was worth posting since their was so much negative press
> before the new system was implemented.
>
> THNAK YOU STERN! :-)
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 1:23:06 PM

I think he was being sarcastic.
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 2:41:22 PM

Agreed, every pinball machine I have ever seen has dimples on the PF.
The more you get, the more uniformed it looks. Its fine, play it and be
happy.

--
-Doug

"Koz Pinlicious" <pinlicious@gmail.com> wrote in message
> probably the same wood wms did since their games dimpled like a
> golfball as well. it is a fricking metal ball people, IT -WILL- DIMPLE
> WOOD!!! :-)
>
> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:03:03 PM

Actually, even our favorite William's games had dimples after a few
plays. It's just a property of playing on wood.

-wolffy

Al wrote:
> I saw one today that had hundreds of dimples with very low play. What
> is Stern making these pf's out of, balsa?
>
> Al

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:20:41 PM

So let me make sure I am understanding you correctly...

The best way to enjoy the money you spend on a pinball machine is not to
play it?

okay..... Who looks at their playfield that closely to see if there is
dimpling? I though every restorer knew it was there. That's why you
see more attention to lifted inserts and damage to the artwork. High
impact areas should be protected with a small patch of mylar. TZ, WW
and HS2 all have dimpling everywhere on the playfield and no one has a
problem with playing those.

-wolffy

pinballjim wrote:
> bigd849498@cs.com wrote:
>
>>i have dimples a lot of them just over 100 plays what should I do?
>

> If you want to preserve the value of the machine, the best thing to do
> is not to play it heavily. Also, avoiding shots that cause lots of
> airballs is probably best... I'd try not to get multiball very often,
> personally.
>
> Strategies like this have kept my HUO MM looking excellent and I'm sure
> that they'll work great for you, too!

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:29:37 PM

Wolffy,

Jim is trolling (again). Don't feed the trolls, it only encourages
them :)

Wolffy wrote:
> So let me make sure I am understanding you correctly...
>
> The best way to enjoy the money you spend on a pinball machine is not to
> play it?
>
> okay..... Who looks at their playfield that closely to see if there is
> dimpling? I though every restorer knew it was there. That's why you
> see more attention to lifted inserts and damage to the artwork. High
> impact areas should be protected with a small patch of mylar. TZ, WW
> and HS2 all have dimpling everywhere on the playfield and no one has a
> problem with playing those.
>
> -wolffy
>

> pinballjim wrote:
> > bigd849498@cs.com wrote:
> >
> >>i have dimples a lot of them just over 100 plays what should I do?
> >

> > If you want to preserve the value of the machine, the best thing to do
> > is not to play it heavily. Also, avoiding shots that cause lots of
> > airballs is probably best... I'd try not to get multiball very often,
> > personally.
> >
> > Strategies like this have kept my HUO MM looking excellent and I'm sure
> > that they'll work great for you, too!

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:45:36 PM

13. Superpin Al Sep 8, 11:32 am show options

From: "Superpin Al" <al.kues...@gmail.com> - Find messages by this
author
Date: 8 Sep 2005 08:32:34 -0700
original | Report Abuse

>>>Rather than quote Koz's excessive verbage I'll just say,

>>>Yes, I am a newb, compared to you guys. Couple years collecting, even
less time on RGP.

well, it shows you didn't know what you were talking about. thanks for
at least admitting it.

>>>Wow, such heated reply to a little ribbing, though it does seem lately
you have been very pro-Stern and it's just funny because I'm used to
you always having a bad word for somebody or everybody. Which I enjoy
actually as I am a smart ass myself at times.

sure, i'll give some when deserved, but since you admitted you were
clueless, i'll let it slide. it was total garbage for anyone to bag on
stern for dimpled playfields. this isn't something brand new that has
never happened before.

>>>Lastly, the post I was referring to is below:

man, you are a newbie. the WHOLE POINT of that post was because no-one
had really said anything about the success of sterns new packing system
that a lot of people got their first look at at last years expo. before
then, their were countless JUSTIFIED gripes about games cabinets
getting screwed up from rubbing and paint loss. i am not talking a
little, i mean a lot.

all i did was post on my own expirienece of driving a tspp 300 mile
back to detroit in the back of a pick-up truck with super tight
suspension and share that the game had ZERO issues with paint smears or
scratches. DON'T YOU THINK THAT AFTER STERN COMPLETELY CHANGED THEIR
PACKING SYSTEM THAT THE POST IS JUSTIFIED?
:-)

anyway, mad props to the guy who helped stern implement that new
packing system, i forget his name, it is really making a difference.

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
(who gets tagged for ass kissing for pointing out the obvious ;-)

>>>Cheers,
Al

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> just wanted to give props to stern for their new packing system. i
> unboxed a tspp this past weekend and the cab was FLAWLESS. after 300
> miles in the back of my pick-up, the new packing system with the foam
> pieces really came through.

> i figured it was worth posting since their was so much negative press
> before the new system was implemented.

> THNAK YOU STERN! :-)

> Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 3:50:23 PM

15. TheKorn@TheKorn.net Sep 8, 10:01 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: "TheK...@TheKorn.net" <TheK...@TheKorn.net> - Find messages by
this author
Date: 8 Sep 2005 07:01:23 -0700
original | Report Abuse

Superpin Al wrote:
> Is it just me or has Koz done an about face since his trip to the Stern
> factory I remember seeing on here awhile back? Seems he used to rail on
> them as much as anyone here, now one bad word and he rides out on his
> horse carrying the Stern standard to defend the kingdom. My point isn't
> Stern is so bad but he sure seems to be drinkin' the Stern koolaid
> these days. 8-)

Well, Koz has been cutting them more slack ever since the rights to
some american pinball country were sold down under. ;)

really has NOTHING to do with it. if wayne makes a good game, it would
be fact and even i would admit it. jusdging from whitewood designs and
artwork for his latest and greatest, i am not worried ;-)

i guess calling TSPP an INSTANT CLASSIC was due to wayne buying bally
too huh? oh wait, that was long before ;-)

if you don't think i can bag on stern when i feel they deserve it, go
back and read my lotr review, i think it is safe to say i dish it when
nec. :-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:03:35 PM

26. TheKorn@TheKorn.net Sep 8, 10:02 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: "TheK...@TheKorn.net" <TheK...@TheKorn.net> - Find messages by
this author
Date: 8 Sep 2005 07:02:13 -0700
original | Report Abuse

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> sooo, either you don't own a pinball machine or you don't play the ones
> you have, which is it? you mean to tell me pins in your collection
> don't dimple? obviously you must not own cv, mm, ngg, cc, mb, or any
> other wms cookine cutter games ;-)

>>>True, but there's a difference between dimpling a LOT and merely
occasional dimpling. It's just like scoop wear; when have you _ever_
seen a H*unted Ho*se with scoop wear?

which scoop are you referring to? the secret passage shot? that shot o
would not call a scoop at all. lmk what you were thinking...

>>>I've _never_ seen one with scoop wear!

read above....

>>>The WMS factory guys will admit that somewhere in the 90's, they
started using wood that definitely wasn't up to the previous standard.

first off, let me say that if you know this to be a fact, drop some
names or tell your story and add some info to this post. because from
what i know, baltic birch (5ply, 7ply, and even 9ply) has been used for
decades. but reguardless, i am simply addressing that dimples have been
around a lot longer than stern.

>>>With that said, it's not really in Stern's best interest to produce a
bulletproof game. Just as in it's not in the automaker's best interest

to produce cars that run for 250K miles.

nice conspiricy theory on the playfields there. IT IS WOOD, you tell me
what wood they could switch to that is gonna hold up forever? besides,
if pinball playfields were meant to self distruct quicker, why do all
of us own games decades old? why would stern MODIFY their cc process to
have a thicker coat after people started to bitch on mono? i don't buy
into the "games need to fall apart after so many plays theory". sorry.

also, on cars falling apart after 250K, i personally think it is
AMAZING that someone can design an ultra high wear item like cars to
last as long as they do or even stay in one piece at all. if cars were
like computers, which really get no wear at all, the roads would be
littered with broken down ones.

think computer companies design software to self destuct ;-) same idea
:-)

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:13:41 PM

38. TheKorn@TheKorn.net Sep 8, 10:56 am show options

Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
From: "TheK...@TheKorn.net" <TheK...@TheKorn.net> - Find messages by
this author
Date: 8 Sep 2005 07:56:08 -0700
original | Report Abuse

azpinlawyer wrote:
> Isn't Stern getting their pfs from the SAME SOURCE as WMS did?

Dodge makes both the Neon and the Viper, but I don't expect the parts
quality to be the same in both.
you don't? you think dodge tempers the steel in their engines
differently in the neon than it does in the viper? or that it uses a
cheaper plastic for car interiors? i can pretty much guarentee the
parts quality is the same, maybe you meant cosmetics?

Pinlicious ( ...there is no spoon.)
September 8, 2005 4:25:20 PM

> > With that said, it's not really in Stern's best interest to produce a
> bulletproof game. Just as in it's not in the automaker's best interest
> to produce cars that run for 250K miles.>>

As long as the art doesn't come off, it still is sort of bulletproof.
I guess I'd rather take a game that dimples but doesn't wear off over
something like an old EM that didn't dimple but half the paint is
missing. I'd rather not take either but dimpling is
preferable...Frenchy
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:29:39 PM

Why not?

(The quality is the same, BTW....)

--
Fred
TX

<TheKorn@TheKorn.net> wrote>

> Dodge makes both the Neon and the Viper, but I don't expect the parts
> quality to be the same in both.

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:56:12 PM

frenchy wrote:
> > > With that said, it's not really in Stern's best interest to produce a
> > bulletproof game. Just as in it's not in the automaker's best interest
> > to produce cars that run for 250K miles.>>
>
> As long as the art doesn't come off, it still is sort of bulletproof.
> I guess I'd rather take a game that dimples but doesn't wear off over
> something like an old EM that didn't dimple but half the paint is
> missing. I'd rather not take either but dimpling is
> preferable...Frenchy

My cyclone has loads of dimples on it even with Mylar on top of it.
It's wood....My oak hard wood floors also have a dimple where I drop
something by accident. No quality control in the world is going to
stop that! I wish it didn't but it's going to happen.

http://home.comcast.net/~andymac43/index2.html
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 4:59:42 PM

Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> 26. TheKorn@TheKorn.net Sep 8, 10:02 am show options
>
> Newsgroups: rec.games.pinball
> From: "TheK...@TheKorn.net" <TheK...@TheKorn.net> - Find messages by
> this author
> Date: 8 Sep 2005 07:02:13 -0700
> Subject: Re: NASCAR Just Over 100 plays dimples?
> Reply | Reply to Author | Forward | Print | Individual Message | Show
> original | Report Abuse
>

> Koz Pinlicious wrote:
> > sooo, either you don't own a pinball machine or you don't play the ones
> > you have, which is it? you mean to tell me pins in your collection
> > don't dimple? obviously you must not own cv, mm, ngg, cc, mb, or any
> > other wms cookine cutter games ;-)

> occasional dimpling. It's just like scoop wear; when have you _ever_
> seen a H*unted Ho*se with scoop wear?
>
> which scoop are you referring to? the secret passage shot? that shot o
> would not call a scoop at all. lmk what you were thinking...

Nono, the VUK from the lower playfield to the main playfield! (4" left
of secret passage... has that big metal SCOOP sticking out from it!)

The "scoop" that when you shoot it normally, the game just pops the
ball back up onto the main playfield.

Same design as a Fnuhouse scoop, but _no_ wear. At least not on any
HH's I've seen.

> started using wood that definitely wasn't up to the previous standard.
>
> first off, let me say that if you know this to be a fact, drop some
> names or tell your story and add some info to this post.

You _know_ I can't do that without permission. Maybe Mr. Ritchie will
jump in and comment. (This comment wasn't from him, but I figure he's
good for it too. ;)  )

> because from
> what i know, baltic birch (5ply, 7ply, and even 9ply) has been used for
> decades. but reguardless, i am simply addressing that dimples have been
> around a lot longer than stern.

True, _but_ dimples seemed to get a lot worse in the early to mid 90's.
Of course, you didn't have bastard ass toys like the ringmaster
deliberately flicking the ball _into_ the playfield. :)

> bulletproof game. Just as in it's not in the automaker's best interest
>
> to produce cars that run for 250K miles.
>
> nice conspiricy theory on the playfields there. IT IS WOOD, you tell me
> what wood they could switch to that is gonna hold up forever?

Didn't say that. There's a difference between _better_ and _forever_.
I'm saying that the stuff they used to use, you know, "in the good old
days" was tougher, stronger, and more costly.

> besides,
> if pinball playfields were meant to self distruct quicker, why do all
> of us own games decades old?

Cuz we're living in the past. ;)  And really, you ask this even though
despising blown out location games? Come on, you're arguing one thing
today, and something else tomorrow!

> why would stern MODIFY their cc process to
> have a thicker coat after people started to bitch on mono? i don't buy
> into the "games need to fall apart after so many plays theory". sorry.

It's not MY theory, it's Pat Lawlor's! And for once, he's right!
(well, mostly)
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:14:16 PM

So we should be rooting for Japanese Pins?
Kinda like in the 80's when the import quality blew away the American
cars and we were forced to raise the bar to compete.

TheKorn@TheKorn.net wrote:
> With that said, it's not really in Stern's best interest to produce a
> bulletproof game. Just as in it's not in the automaker's best interest
> to produce cars that run for 250K miles.

Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:18:37 PM

NEWS FLASH Stern will replace all playfields that show wear in 7 days
Anonymous
September 8, 2005 6:50:58 PM

> > what i know, baltic birch (5ply, 7ply, and even 9ply) has been used for
> > decades. but reguardless, i am simply addressing that dimples have been
> > around a lot longer than stern.
>
> True, _but_ dimples seemed to get a lot worse in the early to mid 90's.
> Of course, you didn't have bastard ass toys like the ringmaster
> deliberately flicking the ball _into_ the playfield. :)

Korn's right.. dimpling is definitly more pronounced on later WMS
games. I noticed this years ago before I really was even into
"grading" machines. Sterns seems to be about as bad as the late WMS
games. Thing is, once the game is played enough, the dimples all merge
together and just become a slightly 'orangepeel-ish' surface.

> > nice conspiricy theory on the playfields there. IT IS WOOD, you tell me
> > what wood they could switch to that is gonna hold up forever?

Petrified wood? :)  Or, whatever Zaccaria used back in the day...
September 8, 2005 7:21:43 PM

Doesn't anybody make plywood that is 6 layers of the cheap stuff, with
one layer of the really good hard stuff, whatever wood that is? Only
that last layer matters.
!