please check my parts =)

jp03hplayer

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004
moved from the wrong forum to this one:
Hey Guys, just wanted some experts to check out this stuff im ordering tonight, see if you think it is all good choice for my new pc...thanks!!!

-Lian-Li 12-Bay Silver Aluminum Case, Model "PC-65"

-Lite-On 16X DVD Dual Drive, Model SOHW-1633S Beige, Retail

-Western Digital Raptor 74GB 10,000RPM SATA Hard Drive, Model WD740GD, OEM Drive Only

- 2 Crucial Ballistix 184-Pin 512MB DDR PC-4000, Model BL6464Z505 -Retail

-CHAINTECH NVIDIA nForce4 Ultra Chipset Motherboard For AMD Socket 939 CPU, Model "VNF4/Ultra" -RETAIL

-Aspire 520W 12V Black Triple Fan Aluminum Power Supply, Model "ATX-AS520W BLACK" -RETAIL

-AMD Socket 939 Athlon 64 3500+, 2.2 GHz, 512KB L2 Cache 64-bit Processor - OEM

- XFX nVIDIA GeForce 6600GT Video Card, 128MB GDDR3, 128-Bit, Dual DVI, PCI-Express, Model "PVT43GND" -RETAIL

Should I get a crappier case?? Do i need that good of ram, or is there just as good of stuff for cheaper?? (considering I would like to do some overclocking, also is the 90 nm architecture in the proc i picked better than the 130 nm version?? Is it worth the price difference??

Thanks sooooo much,

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by JP03Hplayer on 12/24/04 03:35 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
The smaller the micron, the cheaper it is for the fab to make cpu's, I'm not familiar with AMD prices too well but if the 90nm 512KB L2 cache is more expensive than the 130nm, it's a ripoff.

I would get cheaper memory if you could get 6800GT instead. 6800GT comes with 256-bit memory interface while the 6600GT is stuck with old 128-bit even a Voodoo 5 has :p

<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>

jp03hplayer

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004
dude if i got cheaper ramm, wouldnt that hurt performance a little. Plus, i heard it was only good to get a 6800 if u got at least a GT version, and those things are like 200 more bucks than the card i picked, you dont think that card i have would be good fow now?

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
more expensive ram will make less of a difference than a 6800GT over 6600.

6800GT will make far more noticeable difference than lower latency ram/value ram.

jp03hplayer

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004
Wusy, would you get some cheaper memory and pick up the 6800 gt?? if i cant get the gt is it still worth it to get the base model 6800? and if i do decided to get cheaper memory, how you feel about this:

Corsair XMS Extreme Memory Speed Series, (Twin Pack) 184 Pin 1GB(512MBx2) DDR PC-3200 - Retail

Part of my logic was that if i spent 200 bucks on gpu now
i could spend the other 200 and get another mid range card in a year, as apposed to spending 400 now...all of your thoughts REALLY help

jp03hplayer

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2004
ok so i get your point about the 3200 vs the 3500, and i agree that the ballistix are a good choice, and u like even the base model 6800 over the 6600, sounds good, a few more questions came to mind:

1. I realize you like that other lian li case, but it is too much for me, is mine ok, anything wrong with it, anything better for same or cheaper price?

2. Regarding the 90nanometer vs 130 nm architecture. I am currently pursueing a degree in computer engineering, but I am only half way through my sopho year, so my knowledge is rather limited. However my limited experience has lured me into some pondering. obviously when amd went to the 90 nm architecture, they had to decrease the cross sectional area of the "wires" on the chip. Assuming they used the same material in the new chip,one could assume that resistance of these "wires" increased(by the same factor that the cross sectional area decreased. I was under the impression that given a set current, which i assume must be set for the proc to run right, that heat dissapated by a wire was directly proportional to its resistance. However i understand that smaller "wires" also leaves more room for heat dissapation. Sadly I dont know which one of these factors is more significant, so i cant figure out whether the 130 nm or the 90 nm would run cooler, and I am super curius...anybody know?? I am sure I am totally off the mark, but hey, i had to ask, thanks again

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I'd go with a quality steel case and a better power supply. Aluminum looks cool, but it's kind of flimsy compared to steel, 1.0mm thick aluminum weighs nearly 50% less but with nearly 50% less dent resistance and nearly 50% less ability to isolate vibrations.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

endyen

Splendid
so i cant figure out whether the 130 nm or the 90 nm would run cooler,

You miised out on a few important details. 1- 90 nano runs at a lower voltage. 2- while wire gauge is a factor in resistance, conductor length is equally important. 3- With the new chips, Amd has further refined thier production.
As a result, the 90 nano chips can run at a very much reduced power rate. Anandtech said that at full, with a slight OC, they were running @ 50 watts.
The shift to 90 nanos seems to have been a great success for Amd.

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/article/1758/" target="_new">Not all agree</A>

peteroy

Distinguished
BANNED
Jun 14, 2004
<A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/searchProductResult.asp?Submit=advance&Range=1&catalog=7&DEPA=0&bop=or&description=air-duct+3g&InnerCata=7" target="_new">Thermally advantage chassis</A>