super_gray2001

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
Hi all, im not necessarily new here, ive been looking now and again at the guides and stuff, but ive hit a bit of a snag.

Yesterday evening i got a tad drunk (Hey! it was christmas... yeah...) anyway, my poor old bank account took a little hammering because i purchased a few things for me... uh, i mean my computer (Season of goodwill and all that).

Anyway, i ended up purchasing the AMD Athlon 3200+ (400FSB) and 1gb of Kingston memory, but today it clicked that i dont get a CPU fan for the CPU included.

Shucks. I was wondering what good fans are available for this Athlon, i would have went for the 64bit one, but i currently only have the Abit NF7-S.

Please can i state, i wouldnt like the fan to be loud (I went thru hell with the Volcano 9) but also, i dont want to have to remove the motherboard to fit the fan. If i do that i will be forced (ahem) into buying a new Lian Li case (And i realllllly dont wanna do it).

So could you give me some recommendations?

Cheers

super_gray2001

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
Well i say Lian-Li because it seems to be the case of choice among many, the cases i get are usually only £30-40 jobbies, so therefor are pretty bad with room and stuff, which is why i said i didnt want to have to remove the motherboard heh.

I have never been too inclined to do overclocking, the main reason is because im scared, i have very little money to "burn" (specially when its the CPU burning) but im not a good mathematician, with all these multipliers and things like that.

Im at the moment still wondering if i should try and do a BIOS Flash, altho again, the risk of messing it up is something im worried about :eek:.

With the Thermaltakes it seems you have to remove the motherboard, a choice i dont wanna go down :(, the Swiftech again, could cause problems because of the room in the case... Guess its pointing to the direction of a Lian Li case. Eeep heh

super_gray2001

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
Well i looked into the Swiftech, it does seem to get high ratings indeed, altho in one of the reviews they had it with the Abit NF7-S <- The board i have, and apparently the capacitors are extremely close when the Heatsink is fitted. That could cause some problems as also the CPU Fan could get close to the Power as its on top of it at the moment.

I wouldnt mind the Thermalright's since they have been known to be the best around at the moment, but having to take out the Motherboard would lead me into buying a new case, not necessarily a Lian Li, but one with good circulation and plenty of room to move

I looked into buying the Nexus AXP-3200, maybe

Cybercraig

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
A nice <A HREF="http://www.newegg.com/app/ViewProductDesc.asp?description=35-150-023&depa=0" target="_new">speeze</A> is sure to please!

Abit IS7 - 3.0C @ 3.6ghz - Mushkin PC4000 (2 X 512) - Sapphire 9800Pro - TT 420 watt Pure Power
Samsung 120gb ATA-100 - Maxtor 40gb ATA - 100
Sony DRU-510A - Yellowtail Merlot

wrugoin

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2004
From reading your post, it seems that I have close to the same setup as you're purchasing. I would say that the HSF depends if you plan to overclock. Personally I don't. I keep my settings at stock (besides my videocard) and decided to buy a HSF that would be geared twards silence instead of high performance cooling.

My system has a Thermaltake Silent Boost A1889-01 with a small layer of Artic Silver Ceramique. I found it for a good price at Zipzoomfly.com My CPU (XP 3200+ 400) runs idle at around 45C and after an hour of Half-Life 2 it'll reach about 61C. I recommend it, but if you're looking for a nice list of reviews for HSF combos, I suggest visiting this website.

http://www.frostytech.com/index.cfm

---MY RIG---
MSI Nforce2 (K7N2) w/ Athlon XP 3200+
Ultra 600W power supply
1GB PC-2700 Kingston Value
Chaintech 6800NU (360/765)
WD800JB 80GB, Maxtor 250GB
Sony DVD-RW, Pioneer 16X DVD, 15GB USB2.0 HDD
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by wrugoin on 12/26/04 05:23 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Cyrus

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2004
wusy: "To be honest flashing can't fail due to technical error(except power cuts),... " [sorry dunno how to quote]

My comp couldn't boot up once after I flashed it with lower version bios (that time I blamed the newer bios because I got BSOD everytime I installed Windows2K, but then it appeared that it was only a wrong setting :p).

super_gray2001

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
There is a question im wondering, most of these heatsinks and fans been mentioned on Review sites dont say whether they can support upto the 3200+. Does it specifically HAVE to say up to 3200+ or can you get a heatsink which supports upto, oh i dont know, 2800+/3000+ etc?

Im expecting the Chip to be sent out on Wednesday so should get it next day.

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
Go get yourself the Thermalright SP-94 or the SLK900a. Dont go for the slk947u or slk948u for it wont fit without some major tweekage. These coolers do not come with fans so go get a 92mm fan like enermax. They are pretty quiet and generate a good amount of CFM. If noise is not a concern then get the Tornado 92mm fan.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>

super_gray2001

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2004
I looked into the Thermalright SP-94 just now... But it said it was only for Pentium 4 processors? It didnt mention AMD saying it wouldnt be compatible...

Is that true or is there "ways and means" to actually get it to fit? Hmm