8300 dimension

Hi All,
Was Wednesday the last day to order an 8300 Dimension? I had an emergency
and by the time I checked back the 8300 was removed and replaced by the
8400.
Thanks
John

John Baiamonte <donotrespond@all.com> wrote:

> Was Wednesday the last day to order an 8300 Dimension? I had an emergency
> and by the time I checked back the 8300 was removed and replaced by the
> 8400.

Well, that's just great. I've had my 8300 for a few days and now they've
replaced it with a model that has "an additional front vent...for improved
air flow which keeps the chassis cooler and quieter." Had I known that,
I'd have waited. I'm really annoyed with how loud this thing is.

Colin

Douglas

You must have the ATI 9800 video card,my 6 8300s are quiet as can be! I also
installed about 50 other 8300s,all quiet.These systems run 24 hours a day.I
have also not noticed any heat problems,even with the Prescott cpus.The 8300
I'm writing this on is in a room that is 90 degrees,I have to strain my ears
to hear it!
"Colin Caulkins" <colin@caulkins.org> wrote in message
> John Baiamonte <donotrespond@all.com> wrote:
>
> > Was Wednesday the last day to order an 8300 Dimension? I had an
emergency
> > and by the time I checked back the 8300 was removed and replaced by the
> > 8400.
>
> Well, that's just great. I've had my 8300 for a few days and now they've
> replaced it with a model that has "an additional front vent...for improved
> air flow which keeps the chassis cooler and quieter." Had I known that,
> I'd have waited. I'm really annoyed with how loud this thing is.
>
> Colin

Douglas,
I have the ATI 9800 in my 8300 and the noise level is really high. What
video card do you have in the 6 "quiet" 8300s.
Charlie

>"Douglas" <.> wrote:

>You must have the ATI 9800 video card,my 6 8300s are quiet as can be! I also
>installed about 50 other 8300s,all quiet.These systems run 24 hours a day.I
>have also not noticed any heat problems,even with the Prescott cpus.The 8300
>I'm writing this on is in a room that is 90 degrees,I have to strain my ears
>to hear it!
>"Colin Caulkins" <colin@caulkins.org> wrote in message
>> John Baiamonte <donotrespond@all.com> wrote:
>>
>> > Was Wednesday the last day to order an 8300 Dimension? I had an
>emergency
>> > and by the time I checked back the 8300 was removed and replaced by the
>> > 8400.
>>
>> Well, that's just great. I've had my 8300 for a few days and now they've
>> replaced it with a model that has "an additional front vent...for improved
>> air flow which keeps the chassis cooler and quieter." Had I known that,
>> I'd have waited. I'm really annoyed with how loud this thing is.
>>
>> Colin

Charliec

Douglas <.> wrote:
> You must have the ATI 9800 video card,my 6 8300s are quiet as can be! I also
> installed about 50 other 8300s,all quiet.These systems run 24 hours a day.I
> have also not noticed any heat problems,even with the Prescott cpus.The 8300
> I'm writing this on is in a room that is 90 degrees,I have to strain my ears
> to hear it!

No, I have the NVidia GeForce FX 5200. From what you've told me, I have
to wonder if something is wrong with my 8300. It's never so quiet that I
have to strain to hear it, and the fan cranks up considerably when the
room is warm or when processor-intensive activity takes place.

Colin

"Colin Caulkins" <colin@caulkins.org> wrote in message
> John Baiamonte <donotrespond@all.com> wrote:
>
> > Was Wednesday the last day to order an 8300 Dimension? I had an
emergency
> > and by the time I checked back the 8300 was removed and replaced by the
> > 8400.
>
> Well, that's just great. I've had my 8300 for a few days and now they've
> replaced it with a model that has "an additional front vent...for improved
> air flow which keeps the chassis cooler and quieter." Had I known that,
> I'd have waited. I'm really annoyed with how loud this thing is.

As someone that works in the PC industry and having until recently always
built my own systems, I recently made my first ever (in 24 years) purchase
of 'Branded' systems. Caught me as odd that you would mention being annoyed
by the noise and wonder if you do not have a bad fan. I just purchased 3
Dell 8300's and my brother also purchased 1) and the first thing that caught
(my ear) was that I did not even realize they were turned on because they
were so quiet. In fact, I actually double-checked to be sure my fans were
operating. Now my brothers was noticeably louder (in comparison), but turned
out to be the cooler on his ATI video card that was making the noise (mine
all have the generic video). While I wouldn't have bothered, He called dell
and they sent him a replacement and it is just as quiet as mine now.

As for the extra vent, that was not the only change on the 8400 and hardly
worth mentioning in my opinion.

| Douglas <.> wrote:
| > You must have the ATI 9800 video card,my 6 8300s are quiet as can be! I
also
| > installed about 50 other 8300s,all quiet.These systems run 24 hours a
day.I
| > have also not noticed any heat problems,even with the Prescott cpus.The
8300
| > I'm writing this on is in a room that is 90 degrees,I have to strain my
ears
| > to hear it!
|
| No, I have the NVidia GeForce FX 5200. From what you've told me, I have
| to wonder if something is wrong with my 8300. It's never so quiet that I
| have to strain to hear it, and the fan cranks up considerably when the
| room is warm or when processor-intensive activity takes place.
|
| Colin

It's not just your 8300 with the FX5200 that's loud. My 8300 with the
FX5200(purchased in March 04) sounds like a freakin' truck! But I don't
necessarily think there is anything wrong with your PC. I solved the noise
problem, for the most part, but putting a thin foam bumper in the hinge of
the fan shroud. That helped considerably - I can still hear the machine -
but it doesn't sound like a truck anymore.

PC Medic <NOT@home.net> wrote:

> Caught me as odd that you would mention being annoyed
> by the noise and wonder if you do not have a bad fan.

It does seem strange that there is such a wide variance in reports -- from
being scarcely audible to sounding like a truck. The CPU fan certainly
seems to be the culprit here. Perhaps Dell uses fans from different
manufacturers, whatever they can get cheapest at the time?

Colin

"Colin Caulkins" <colin@caulkins.org> wrote in message
> Well, that's just great. I've had my 8300 for a few days and now they've
> replaced it with a model that has "an additional front vent...for improved
> air flow which keeps the chassis cooler and quieter." Had I known that,
> I'd have waited. I'm really annoyed with how loud this thing is.

I have an 8200 and it's quiet - after I had Dell send someone out to replace
a noisy fan. Call Dell. Your 8300 should run quietly.

I have a 8300 and the noisiest component on it is the CD drive when it is
spinning the CD. That is annoying, but usually what triggers that is when
it first starts up and there is a CD in the drive already. Otherwise, it is
quieter than my almost 6 year old Gateway 400.

> PC Medic <NOT@home.net> wrote:
>
> > Caught me as odd that you would mention being annoyed
> > by the noise and wonder if you do not have a bad fan.
>
> It does seem strange that there is such a wide variance in reports -- from
> being scarcely audible to sounding like a truck. The CPU fan certainly
> seems to be the culprit here. Perhaps Dell uses fans from different
> manufacturers, whatever they can get cheapest at the time?
>
> Colin

Larry

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I have an ATI 9800 video card (but the slightly slower one, not the PRO) in
my 8300 with a 2.6 Ghz CPU and it is extremely quiet, I can't even hear the
disk drive. It runs 7x24 with no problems.

"ELR" <iggier63@yahoo.comNOSPAM> wrote in message

| "Colin Caulkins" <colin@caulkins.org> wrote in message
| | Douglas <.> wrote:
| | > You must have the ATI 9800 video card,my 6 8300s are quiet as can be!
| also
| | > installed about 50 other 8300s,all quiet.These systems run 24 hours a
| day.I
| | > have also not noticed any heat problems,even with the Prescott
cpus.The
| 8300
| | > I'm writing this on is in a room that is 90 degrees,I have to strain
my
| ears
| | > to hear it!
| |
| | No, I have the NVidia GeForce FX 5200. From what you've told me, I have
| | to wonder if something is wrong with my 8300. It's never so quiet that
| | have to strain to hear it, and the fan cranks up considerably when the
| | room is warm or when processor-intensive activity takes place.
| |
| | Colin
|
| It's not just your 8300 with the FX5200 that's loud. My 8300 with the
| FX5200(purchased in March 04) sounds like a freakin' truck! But I don't
| necessarily think there is anything wrong with your PC. I solved the noise
| problem, for the most part, but putting a thin foam bumper in the hinge of
| the fan shroud. That helped considerably - I can still hear the machine -
| but it doesn't sound like a truck anymore.

Just got off the phone w/ Dell Tech. They're sending me a new
fan/shroud/heat sink assembly - not that I intend to swap the heat sink.
Lets see if that solves the noise issue. Don't want those foam donuts I
placed in the shroud hinge to melt all over the innards ;-))

" Just got off the phone w/ Dell Tech. They're sending me a new
> fan/shroud/heat sink assembly - not that I intend to swap the heat sink.
> Lets see if that solves the noise issue. Don't want those foam donuts I
> placed in the shroud hinge to melt all over the innards ;-))

If it's a defective shroud, shouldn't Dell provide someone to install the
new one? They advertise their superior at home service.

"Lenny Bruce" <spamme@devnul.com> wrote in message

| " Just got off the phone w/ Dell Tech. They're sending me a new
| > fan/shroud/heat sink assembly - not that I intend to swap the heat sink.
| > Lets see if that solves the noise issue. Don't want those foam donuts I
| > placed in the shroud hinge to melt all over the innards ;-))
|
| If it's a defective shroud, shouldn't Dell provide someone to install the
| new one? They advertise their superior at home service.

They offered to send out a tech but I declined. I can easily pop out the old
and replace it with the new (or will that be a refurb). I'm not scared!