Intel upgrade question

pentak

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2004
Hi, i was wondering if i need to check anything when upgrading a p4 cpu, like amd u have to be careful of the socket number, is this a similar concern or can i just plop any old cpu into the mobo without a problem as long as it's intel?

endyen

Splendid
With Intel, it must be the same socket format of course. S478 chips dont work on socket T mobos.
As well, some of the old chips that are s478 will not work in the new s478 boards. This is mostly just Williamette cores. It's always a good idea to check with the mobo maker, before buying any chip, or board.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
3 different P4 sockets:
Socket 423
Socket 478
Socket 775

4 different P4 bus speeds:
400 (100MHz x4)
533 (133MHz x4)
800 (200MHz x4)
1066 (266MHz x4)

Older boards don't use newer sockets. Older boards don't support newer bus speeds.

One other difference: some older 800 bus capable motherboards won't support Prescott CPU's because they were designed improperly.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>

addiarmadar

Distinguished
May 26, 2003
I got a simple way for you, just go onto the mobo manufacter's website and find your mobo and then you will be able to find what CPUs you can put on.

<i><font color=red>Only an overclocker can make a computer into a convectional oven.</i></font color=red>