Another dual boot ?

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
This post is a little lengthy,but I want to be thorough.Please bare with me.This is my configuration
hdd-0 is a 60 gig (master) with 2 partitions,with XP installed.
hdd-1 is a 40 gig (slave) with a single partition and Win 98 installed.
I had a dual boot working(without the bootloader option)by simply toggling the boot order in the bios.I then decided to do it with a bootloader screen. I re-installed XP using the advanced options,and got the dual boot screen.The problem is that it only works if hdd-1 boots. If I set
hdd-01 to boot first,I get a "please install o.s." nag message. I would like to boot from the master if at all possible.
I guess there is some kind of pointing going on that I dont fully understand.If someone could clarify this I would greatly appreciate it.
I may be the "poster boy" for having the most trouble with software. I do like to experiment though. Regular computing gets kinda boring.....Thanks in advance..:)

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.

jamdev12

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2002
First boot with a windows 98 disk and sys drive c: (This is if you are running NTFS on the WindowsXP partition) restart the computer and try to access the Windows 98 partition. If this doesn't work all I can think of is reinstalling both your OS'. First start with Windows 98. After you are done installing that install the Windows XP. This in 99% of the cases should solve the dual boot issue you are having. 1% for failure because nothing in this world is 100% insured.

My name may be Jesus, but don't go around asking for miracles.

vetplus40

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2001
the normal set up configuration works for the onme boot sequence,but not the other. I may be trying to do something that it was not intended to do.

If ya don't ask..How ya gonna know.