Sign in with
Your question

(QuickReplyNeeded) Thinkpad R50, Windows aero?

Last response: in Laptop General Discussion
August 14, 2010 9:20:16 AM

Hello, I'm looking into buying a cheap second hand laptop (under £100), therefore i was looking at the IBM Thinkpad R50, notebook.
i'm here looking for a quick reply, since on ebay, there's one, with a free 3 month warrenty from the buyer, going in an hour's time.
i just wanted to know if you could install windows 7 on this laptop, with aero and everything. it has a ATI 9000 integrated Card, and it seems it only has DirectX 8.0c with Shader level 1.2?

cheers for any replies

there are actually, other laptops from the same selller, i was also looking at, including a Toshiba Tecra M2, which has a intel 855pm, chipset, with DirectX9 and Shader Level 2.0. will this run aero?

here you go: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBM-R50-Laptop-Centrino-1-5Ghz-1G...

thanks for viewing my thread
a b D Laptop
August 14, 2010 10:41:12 AM

No, it probably will not be able to handle Windows Aero. The GPU is pretty old and out dated, not to mention that the CPU is pretty ancient as well. However, I have seen stories of some running Windows 7 on old Pentium based CPU's without issue, i.e. it should handle Windows 7, but it will not be the snappiest thing in the world.
August 14, 2010 1:33:38 PM

Aero is a DX10 and up feature only. You can run Win 7 but you will not be able to use aero.
!