(QuickReplyNeeded) Thinkpad R50, Windows aero?

Hello, I'm looking into buying a cheap second hand laptop (under £100), therefore i was looking at the IBM Thinkpad R50, notebook.
i'm here looking for a quick reply, since on ebay, there's one, with a free 3 month warrenty from the buyer, going in an hour's time.
i just wanted to know if you could install windows 7 on this laptop, with aero and everything. it has a ATI 9000 integrated Card, and it seems it only has DirectX 8.0c with Shader level 1.2?

cheers for any replies

there are actually, other laptops from the same selller, i was also looking at, including a Toshiba Tecra M2, which has a intel 855pm, chipset, with DirectX9 and Shader Level 2.0. will this run aero?

here you go: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/IBM-R50-Laptop-Centrino-1-5Ghz-1Gb-Ram-20G-Hdd-/320570099500?pt=UK_Computing_Laptops_EH#ht_3862wt_1137

thanks for viewing my thread
2 answers Last reply
More about quickreplyneeded thinkpad windows aero
  1. No, it probably will not be able to handle Windows Aero. The GPU is pretty old and out dated, not to mention that the CPU is pretty ancient as well. However, I have seen stories of some running Windows 7 on old Pentium based CPU's without issue, i.e. it should handle Windows 7, but it will not be the snappiest thing in the world.
  2. Aero is a DX10 and up feature only. You can run Win 7 but you will not be able to use aero.
Ask a new question

Read More

Laptops Thinkpad