Sign in with
Your question

How to join a new Win7 PC to 2003 Server?

Last response: in Business Computing
April 6, 2012 12:46:51 PM

Hello.

I recently started a new job. It has nothing to do with IT and the like but in my CV I mentioned I was pretty good with computers, just not with servers.

My work has a new employee starting so they asked me to buy a new PC and set it up so that he can access our windows 2003 small business server. I have no clue how to do this. I thought it was a matter of joining a network like a WiFi or something but thats not the case.

The issue is that the guy i am replacing was also the guy who looked after the server. He has emmigrated to the other side of the world and so I cannot ask him how he added new PC's/clients to the server so they can access the shared folders and such.

The new PC is on Windows 7x64 Professional and I want to allow him to access the shard folder and internet on our server.

Can anyone provide me with instructions on how to do this? I have managed to set him up a user profile which he can access from the other 20 or so terminals in the work places but he need to be able to access it from the new PC.

Please can anyone help me? I am sure this isnt a big task but i havent a clue about servers

Thanks so much for any feedback!

More about : join win7 2003 server

April 6, 2012 2:29:45 PM

Hi :) 

You need to be HONEST about this with your boss NOW....

You get this wrong (and you will with no server experience) and screw their server...you WILL be sacked....

Just be honest and say you are good with PCS but no server experience and they NEED to employ someone to do this and other server jobs....

All the best Brett :) 
Related resources
April 6, 2012 4:45:31 PM

On the server you may also have to create a new user account and put the PC into an OU group.
April 6, 2012 6:05:31 PM

Yup it is easy but you have to have domain admin rights to be able to join.

Thent
April 6, 2012 6:20:26 PM

He should usually be able to pull internet just by connecting either to your wifi or your ethernet (unless you have a domain and it's running a proxy that everyone is required to use). He doesn't need to be on any domain to use a shared drive on the LAN, either. Just net use the IP address of the machine and the name of the folder (done from the command prompt, or make a batch file):

net use z: \\ip.address.goes.here\name_of_folder password /user:username

Change z: to any drive letter you want, and if the shared folder doesn't require a username and password then don't put those two there.

I have hundreds of computers in and out of the office all the time that need shared drive access. Such batch files have made my life immensely easier when I show people where they are and what they do.
April 9, 2012 6:41:24 PM

thanks for all the responces. I have no intension of maintaing the server and I have told them this.

All I require is for the PC to be able to access the internet, shared folders and use the printers.

So from what I gather I just add the PC to the domain via computer properties? I am able to access the server via remote access and I have the admin details also.
April 9, 2012 7:01:52 PM

Brett928S2 said:

You need to be HONEST about this with your boss NOW....

You get this wrong (and you will with no server experience) and screw their server...you WILL be sacked....

Just be honest and say you are good with PCS but no server experience and they NEED to employ someone to do this and other server jobs....

C'mon, try providing help. People are here to learn, not to be ridiculed. Everyone starts fresh and he was hired into the position to likely learn how to do this. The OP is here for help. Provide assistance if you feel you want to help and leave any negative or unuseful comments to yourself.
April 9, 2012 7:10:56 PM

Skyboy88 said:
thanks for all the responces. I have no intension of maintaing the server and I have told them this.

All I require is for the PC to be able to access the internet, shared folders and use the printers.

So from what I gather I just add the PC to the domain via computer properties? I am able to access the server via remote access and I have the admin details also.

EEK! This all depends on the AD settings and if there are groups set up. This is how I add computers onto our network... it may not be the same for you, but use what you can.

Find a computer that is on the domain and find its full computer name in system properties. The domain will be the part after the computer name. Write down both of them.

i.e. Awe-som-e-0.toms.ad.com
Computer name: Awe-som-e-0
Domain Name: toms.ad.com

Go to computer management and look in the Local Users and Groups area. Open up the groups drop down and double click on admins, power users, and users. Check to see which if any domain groups are assigned. If there are then you will need to manually add these to the local machine after it is on the domain. Write down these groups and their locations.

Now go into AD and search for the computer name to find out where it is. Within that same folder you will need to add a computer, use a naming scheme similar to the one in place.

i.e.
(Old computer) Computer name: Awe-som-e-0
(New computer) Computer name: Awe-som-e-1

Go back to the computer to be added and change the computer name to the matching record in AD. Also change it from workgroup to domain. In the domain field enter the fully qualified domain name (i.e. toms.ad.com).

Click apply, you will need to enter a username and password to verify that you have permissions to apply these new settings. You should know the proper info for that.

If everything goes well, and the previous admin had group policy scripts that were in place, then you should be in a better place than before.

Heed the warnings of other posters, don't mess up your server.
April 10, 2012 9:38:42 AM

I have the network cable plugged in the unit. This new PC is being set up where another guy used to set using his laptop. I am using the same cable he used and he could connect fine.

I have tried adding the PC to the domain but it gives me an error saying “An Active Directory Domain Controller (AD DC) for the domain “myfirmsname” could not be contacted. Ensure the domain name is typed correctly”.

I have tried various domain names including ‘noblesconstruction.local’ as this is the name of the domain my computer is set upto and works fine.

In the ‘Network & Sharing Centre’ the network is ‘Unidentified Network’ and I have no internet access either, even though the cable is connected.

I have set up the guys login account fine and he is currently using it on another machine which is vacant for a few days.

This is baffling me to be honest. I cant help but think its something to do with the previous guy being sat there and something needs changed either physically on the sever or on the server management. What do you think?
April 10, 2012 11:37:54 AM

Check to see if the computers are using static IP addresses as opposed to DHCP.

You'll default to a 169.x.x.x address if you're not getting a DHCP address from the server. That should establish your network connection.

When you join the domain you need to enter credentials that has access to add. Generally, a user account can add 5 or 10 computers or something to AD if it is unmodified. Otherwise you may need to create a computer account in AD and set the permissions on the user who can join it. As mentioned previously, you would need to move the computer account to the correct OU (Organization Unit) within AD. This will ensure if any group polices are setup they will be applied and delegation (doubtful) of user rights are in place.

Verify your IP address, subnet, gateway, and DNS servers, or even WINS depending on how it is setup.
April 10, 2012 10:34:32 PM

Well you may be diving into the networking side as well.

ASSUMING IT IS STATIC:

Check the laptop and see if it is set up with a static IP. If it is, then copy the IP/SUB/GATEWAY address(es) and put them in your new machine. See if it can get online. If you can... then great. You now know that the office is using static IPs and you will need to create a new static IP or figure out the address range that has been created and just guess which IP will work.

If it still cannot, then assume that the office's network has a MAC filter, at which point you will need to remote into the router/switch and add the MAC address and assign it a static IP.

Once you get the computer on the network it will be able to communicate with the AD server.
April 10, 2012 11:10:21 PM

DHCP could also be MAC filtered which is a common thing in small environments.
April 17, 2012 12:09:24 AM

riser said:
C'mon, try providing help. People are here to learn, not to be ridiculed. Everyone starts fresh and he was hired into the position to likely learn how to do this. The OP is here for help. Provide assistance if you feel you want to help and leave any negative or unuseful comments to yourself.

It takes years and a LOT of experience to become a server admin.....he aint got it....and could well get sacked if he pretends he has....

!