Sign in with
Your question

SSD fails to boot win7

Last response: in Windows 7
December 15, 2012 8:36:09 AM

Dear community,

Recently i panned to build my system and put together the following config, all items were brand new....

1. MSI b75 motherboard (one SATA 6GB/s, Three SATA 3GB/s)
2. Intel i3-3220
3. Kingston SSD NowV100 64GB (SATA 6GB/s)
4. Corsain RAM 4GB 1600MHz, single module
5. DVD drive.
6. Cooler Master 550W

Now, during assembling i installed my new SSD on SATA 6GB/s port, DVD drive on SATA 3GB/s port and RAM, processor etc.

Then i proceeded with standard Win7 installation through DVD and completed it successfully, installed all the drivers etc, and now my system was up and running.

After few days of successful running, i am frequently encountering errors regarding boot failure and when i go to BIOS it does not show/detect my SSD drive and shows only DVD drive.
So, i figured out that, as my SSD is not detected, boot process is unable to load windows.
But strangely, when i ran my standard check procedures (i.e. i removed my PC off power supply, removed CMOS battery and reconnected all then boot again) then my system booted successfully.

Now, the problem is that, my system runs for 4-5 days continuously and then suddenly the same boot failure error occurs my SSD does not show up in BIOS and then i again have to go through the whole process of removing power and clearing CMOS by removing battery and then reboot.
This is painstaking, and i need advice regarding, what exactly is the problem.
Or, are SSDs so immature and un reliable.....

Note: I have checked my SSD firmware... it is up to date.
my BIOS is also up to date.

Regards,
Naren

More about : ssd fails boot win7

December 15, 2012 9:06:39 AM

I have an OCZ Agiity 3 120gb and i have had it for about 3 months with no problems. I think yours might be defective or there's something wrong with the sata 6gb/s port on the mobo.
m
l
December 15, 2012 9:32:04 AM

helper800 said:
I have an OCZ Agiity 3 120gb and i have had it for about 3 months with no problems. I think yours might be defective or there's something wrong with the sata 6gb/s port on the mobo.

I appreciate your answer and thanks.

But as i mentioned above.... that..when boot failure appears.... i just do nothing else except to shut UPS power supply and remove CMOS battery and re-insert and proceed to re-start successfully. I don't even touch SATA wires or port etc even accidentally....so if there is any connectivity issue it should still remain........

I have also checked it by connecting to other remaining SATA ports......the issue persists.....untill i drive out all the power down right through my mother board to SSD completely....

m
l
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 10:12:42 AM

May be faulty, but the loss of the SSD within the BIOS sometimes happens, have 2x Agility 3, one in laptop always seen, one in desktop sometimes goes walkies when PC is first started, every boot after that it is fine.

Could be a SSD firmware issue, motherboard BIOS, bad data cable, power cable, base unit pointing north and not south or just PC's being PC's.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 11:41:08 AM

Had the exact same issue with my Corsair Force 3 SSD when I bought it over a year ago. Put up with it for about 3 months, updated the firmware, and that fixed it. Been working fine for a year now without a single hiccup.
If your firmware is up to date, I would return the drive, certainly seems faulty to me.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 12:37:58 PM

Update windows .Automatically detect and install latest best driver and fix all issues. download and install intel rapid storage controller driver. change cmos battery.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 12:39:01 PM

Check powercables for any damage.
m
l
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 12:41:00 PM

Update mobo bios.
m
l