HP Photosmart 'cartridge out of date message'

trustyt

Distinguished
Nov 1, 2011
my HP Photosmart D7160 tells me two things 1. It does the low ink bit which is fine I change it when that happens. 2. It also tells me when a cartridge is out of date even when it's only been fitted a little while. As I keep spares in sealed packets as supplied it's very annoying to get this just after I've fitted it. The printer moans on about warranty but it's no where near being in warranty so how can I turn off this infuriating message. I'm so fed up with having to go and turn the out of date message off every time it starts up that I added a second printer to my network but it wasn't an HP.

There is no way that I found to shut off those messages, unless you uninstall all of the HP software, just leave the core drivers. The cartridge error is not due to how long you had them installed but how old they are. They have a "best by" date on them as the ink ages and changes viscosity over time.

I have heard of some people who have breathed new life in some of these dated cartridges by changing the date on the computer. They set the computer date back exactly one year. Personally, I can't confirm this.