Sign in with
Your question

celeron vs. P3,not speed

Last response: in CPUs
December 29, 2004 7:01:19 PM

I'm interested in people's opinions & experience with
Celeron CPU's for business use, not speed differences.
I work for a non-profit, and we really need to save money,
and I noticed they can save a lot. Will they last like P3/P4's? I'm worried about quality,crashing, & general probems. Thanks

More about : celeron speed

December 29, 2004 7:05:08 PM

Celerons are as stable as any P4, what makes them cheaper is the fact their phyiscal die size is smaller than a Pentium 4, therefore allowing to produce many more cpu's on one waffer which results in cheaper prices.

<A HREF="http://www.clancas.net" target="_new">clan CHAOS</A>
December 29, 2004 7:13:47 PM

They're not as fast as a equal-clocked P3/P4, but they're the same Intel quality inside. I'm typing this to you on a 466mhz Celeron that's been running just fine at my desk since 1999, and there are 7 similar pc's in the rest of the office that use the same CPU (or the 400mhz version). No problems whatsoever (a couple HDDs that went - but they're 5+ years old, so that's not unexpected). For business use - letters, spreadsheets, email, etc., they'll do fine.

Mike.

PS: Check the AMD Athlon XP , Duron and/or Sempron for pricing too - sometimes they can be had for even less than a Celeron, and the AMD stability problems have been taken care of as far as I can see - I have an Athlon at home that's been running pretty much 24/7 (shut down when I go away for vacation / weekends / etc.) for almost 4 yrs, equally problem-free as the PCs at work.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
December 29, 2004 8:54:23 PM

No, Celerons use the same core as their PIII/P4 counterparts. Intel physically disables part of the cache, programs the cache to add latency, and usually selects a lower bus speed/higher multiplier. This is all done after the core is manufactured, I believe by blowing bridges.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 29, 2004 9:04:45 PM

Quote:
I'm worried about quality,crashing, & general probems. Thanks

processors themselves dont cause stability problems

-------
<A HREF="http://www.albinoblacksheep.com/flash/you.html" target="_new">please dont click here! </A>
December 29, 2004 10:43:45 PM

If you need a cheap reliable system you should be looking at the Amd xp, or sempron lines. The nforce chipset is best for Amd boards.
The Amd systems will be much better than a celeron, at a lower price.
December 30, 2004 12:09:32 AM

Celerons are fine. A very rough measure of the P3 vs P3 Celeron performance is that the Celeron is about 80% of the full P3.

Couple of things help to make them suitable or unsuitable:

1) They system should have sufficient memory. 128 for Windows 98 and you may benefit up to 192MB.

2) The operating system. Windows 98 will be significantly "lighter" than Windows XP.

3) Graphics card. Even a cheap AGP graphics card rather than onboard graphics should be the watchword. I have a 1300 Celeron paired with a motherboard that has onboard graphics that I don't like half as much as a my 700 Celeron with a 8MB graphics card. The Celeron 1300 functions just fine as a server but I find it annoyingly sticky as desktop.

The loving are the daring!
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2004 12:47:02 AM

Cyrix MII processors did with a few select programs I've heard.

<font color=blue>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to a hero as big as Crashman!</font color=blue>
<font color=red>Only a place as big as the internet could be home to an ego as large as Crashman's!</font color=red>
December 30, 2004 4:56:21 PM

Thanks everyone for your postings.
Now, I just have to go convince management.
Thanks, winthrop62
a b à CPUs
December 30, 2004 9:24:58 PM

Hey, just remember, a Coppermine Celeron is a PIII core with 1/2 the cache disabled, and Celerons have been following the "reduced pentium" standard ever since, so they're the same processor with the performance intentionally reduced, not the stability.

!