Sign in with
Your question

Do you get a limited number of installations with a Windows key?

Tags:
Last response: in Windows 7
December 15, 2012 10:01:40 AM

Or can it be installed and re-installed infinitely on the same machine?

Also, how many machines are you able to simultaneously have W7 installed on? Is it just the one?

Thanks
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 10:07:59 AM

W7 OEM or W7 Retails can be installed on 1 pc as many times as you like, the OEM may need to be activated by phone by Microsoft after first install.

To install one copy of W7 you need a Volume key that is only given to big business or government or control their own licencing systems with Microsoft.
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 10:26:18 AM

W7 OEM can only ever be installed ONE PC. it is tied to the motherboard, you have to buy a new copy if you change it.

Retail you can take it off the PC and install on another but you can only have it installed on ONE PC at a time. You need a license for EACH PC
Related resources
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 12:25:57 PM

Hi

The only time I saw a legal way of using a Windows 7 key and license on more than 1 PC was the special offer of Retail Family Upgrade Pack to Win 7 Home Premium for 3 PC's. ( I have not seen them advertised recently though some can be found on Amazon etc for $ USD 256)

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/window...

(business's with domains need Professional or Utlimate or Enterprise version)

(This excludes the Enterprise & similar licenses where the same key is used multiple times but the number of PC's Licensed is controlled)

regards

Mike Barnes
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 12:46:15 PM

Study the book given with windows dvd.
December 15, 2012 1:07:15 PM

muffinz10 said:
Or can it be installed and re-installed infinitely on the same machine?

Yes it can be reinstalled indefinitely on the same machine. You also should be able to change minor parts in that PC without having any issues. But change the Motherboard, and it will require a new license if using OEM.

With Retail(the expensive version) you can change all of the parts and activate it with no problems.

muffinz10 said:
Also, how many machines are you able to simultaneously have W7 installed on? Is it just the one?

Thanks

Just 1. The family pack might be the only exception. I say might, because it could be 3 keys, I haven't seen it so I'm not sure. It also is no longer available.
a b $ Windows 7
December 15, 2012 1:22:38 PM

1) Minor correction. OEM version an Be re-used on a New MB if the orginal MB dies, Can not be eused if Orginal MB is just being upgraded to improve performance or add features. This goes away with Windows 8, Currently Win 8 OEM removes the restriction of being tied to first MB installed on.

2) Number of Re-installs on same system is generally unlimited, however to many over a specified time will trigger a "have to Call" or If you have the 3-system family pac. Only ever had to call once (it was a re-install of family pac) - Was NO problem they only asked if it was installed on more than 3 computers.
!