Socket 775 top speed?

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I am working on a new system and am curious what the top speed to date has been reported. Im using the P4 550 3.4 CPU. Ive only been working with it for a couple of hours and am getting close to 4.0. If you know what range I should be shooting for, please post some numbers. Thanks!

RichPLS

Champion
On air I would say your kicking some speed! Don't think you could get much higher than 4 Ghz on air, imo

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

Vapor

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2001
4GHz to 4.05GHz seems to be the typical max of 540s on air. SOME hit 4.1GHz, but not many--most don't even get to 4GHz tbh.

Maxtor disgraces the six letters that make Matrox.

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
Im using liquid. This system has impressed the heck out of me so far. Im using the Thermaltake BIG WATER cooling system and so far the CPU hasnt got above 38C. In fact it hasnt risen above 34C in the last 3 hours. Seems like it has actually gotten cooler after the first 24 hours. Im going to post some numbers shortly. One thing that I cant beleive is that Newegg hit me below the belt. I hope this was an honest mistake but I doubt it was. They sent me a unit that had been used. Im refering to the cooling unit. I should have realized that it was used, but the package was perfect. The pump had some minor condensation inside of it and so I thought that maybe they all had water run through them for test purposes. That was really stupid of me. When I filled the pump, it started to leak around one of the inlets. Oh well, its fixed now and doing great.

RichPLS

Champion
Wow, that sux, glad they fixed it. I use NewEgg alot, and suspect they did this unintentionally. I have had good record with NewEgg going since sometime in 2000 when I first found them.
Anyway, Next thing for me will be a water cooling kit, later in the year.

<pre><font color=red>°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°`°¤o \\// o¤°`°¤o,¸¸¸,o¤°
And the sign says "You got to have a membership card to get inside" Huh
So I got me a pen and paper And I made up my own little sign</pre><p></font color=red>

mozzartusm

Splendid
Sep 17, 2004
I should have been more clear. I fixed it, not Newegg. It wont leak again, at least not where the damage is. I got the parts in on Friday so I havent had a chance to talk to them. Im not going to even try to get them to take it back, after I went to all the trouble of mounting the heatsink to the Mobo and setting it all up, I wasnt about to take it all apart and then put it back together again. The main reason that I bought it to begin with was so that I could see the design for myself. Im sure within a couple of weeks I will replace everything but the Heatsink with something that I make myself. I get my kicks from building things.