Sign in with
Your question
Solved

911 !! Can't get past BSOD !

Last response: in Windows 7
December 15, 2012 1:31:30 PM

Any help greatly appreciated. So, I woke up this morning. Read internet, World of Tanks ... went away from computer and it went to sleep. Came back in approx 1 hour. Monitor was black and computer would "wake up" but monitor w/ power would not display. Fans were moving, mouse (death adder lighted up) ... it appeared that the video card had no output (HD 6850) but fan was moving fine. So:

1. I connected the monitor to mobo display - no difference.
2. Got another monitor. No luck ... still no display
3. Restarted computer. Got BIOS splash, then had windown start up (little balls moving), then went to "windows was not shut down properly, would you like to restart" ... yes
4. BIOS, windows balls, "would you like windown to repair" - yes ... endless loop of BIOS Splash, windows balls, "would you like to repair" yes or no same loop.
5. Can't get past BSOD
BSOD reads:
Startup repair
a processor thread ...
STOP: 0 x 000000F4

Collecting data crash ...

I''ve tired:
1. Power on / off.
2. Disconnecting and reconnecting power to psu
3. unpluggin from mobo speakers,
4. DVD opens / closes
5. Fans all work fine
6. monitor works fine from MOBO and hd 6850 ...

Questions:

1. Will putting in the win 7 disc help / hurt?
2. window "cannot repair" and goes into endless loop
3. if i don't repair - goes into endless BSOD loop

HELP !!! Thanks :cry: 

In BIOS everything looks fine. CPU, RAM, and video card all show fine. Cleared CMOS - no luck. I believe this is a windows issue.

All equip bought & assembled jun 2012
ASRock z77 ext 4
i5 3570k ( no overclock)
msi PE/oc 6850 (no overclock)
gskill sniper 1866 8 gb (4 x 2 sticks)
PSU: PC Power and cooling mk 3, 600 watts

More about : 911 past bsod

Best solution

December 15, 2012 1:45:22 PM

odiervr said:
Any help greatly appreciated. So, I woke up this morning. Read internet, World of Tanks ... went away from computer and it went to sleep. Came back in approx 1 hour. Monitor was black and computer would "wake up" but monitor w/ power would not display. Fans were moving, mouse (death adder lighted up) ... it appeared that the video card had no output (HD 6850) but fan was moving fine. So:

1. I connected the monitor to mobo display - no difference.
2. Got another monitor. No luck ... still no display
3. Restarted computer. Got BIOS splash, then had windown start up (little balls moving), then went to "windows was not shut down properly, would you like to restart" ... yes
4. BIOS, windows balls, "would you like windown to repair" - yes ... endless loop of BIOS Splash, windows balls, "would you like to repair" yes or no same loop.
5. Can't get past BSOD
BSOD reads:
Startup repair
a processor thread ...
STOP: 0 x 000000F4

Collecting data crash ...

I''ve tired:
1. Power on / off.
2. Disconnecting and reconnecting power to psu
3. unpluggin from mobo speakers,
4. DVD opens / closes
5. Fans all work fine
6. monitor works fine from MOBO and hd 6850 ...

Questions:

1. Will putting in the win 7 disc help / hurt?
2. window "cannot repair" and goes into endless loop
3. if i don't repair - goes into endless BSOD loop

HELP !!! Thanks :cry: 

In BIOS everything looks fine. CPU, RAM, and video card all show fine. Cleared CMOS - no luck. I believe this is a windows issue.

All equip bought & assembled jun 2012
ASRock z77 ext 4
i5 3570k ( no overclock)
msi PE/oc 6850 (no overclock)
gskill sniper 1866 8 gb (4 x 2 sticks)
PSU: PC Power and cooling mk 3, 600 watts

If you use the windows disk it may help restoring any corrupt windows installed files. Any chance you did a windows 7 backup and created a system image?
December 15, 2012 1:51:35 PM

I know I do a regular back up, the data goes to my D drive. So - do i just put the windows 7 disc in, F2 to go into BIOS ... then .... ???
m
l
Related resources
December 15, 2012 1:53:53 PM

Yes, I would boot from your Windows disc and trying the "Repair Your Computer" from the disc. I've seen 0x0F4 BSODs a lot from corrupted registry issues.
m
l
December 15, 2012 1:55:26 PM

TY TY TY! ... brb w/ data. I'm a newb and this type of thing bugs the hell outta me. I'm okay with the wires and building ... but windows/ software . Scarry !!! Thanks againg. brb
m
l
December 15, 2012 2:27:44 PM

Back,

All appears to be fine now. TY TY TY. Arson94 and t53186, if you're ever around eastern Iowa drop me a note (odiervr@yahoo.com). If you're of age I'll buy you an adult beverage of your choice. A couple of notes / observations.

1. I did a system repair first. Seemed "stuck" for 6 mins on, "This might take several minutes" ... blue bar moving ...
2. No change other than blue bar so restarted and then chose, "System restore"
3. Upon starting. All idications were something was happening: DVD Disc activity, Windows loading bar ...
went from, Restoring files to finalizing files, to finishing restore ... all took approx 7 min.
4. Restarted and I saw my hold "enter password" followed by looks good.

TY TY

Now,

1. What just happened? Bad sector? Currupt file ? I have an INTEL 330 SSD, 180 GB. Do these things just happen?
2. Can I just restart fm my SDD now ... all better. "nothing to see here, move along"
3. With a HDD you can defrag ... what do you do on an SDD? anything?
4. Is this an indicator of failure/pending failure?

Thanks and I have my fingers crossed.

Remember ... if in Iowa :)  "That's where the tall corn grows !!""
m
l
December 15, 2012 2:39:21 PM

1. Who knows, could be anything.
2. Yes boot away.
3. With an ssd two things. No need to defrag. Defrag speeds up file access, ssd is already fast enough. You should download intel ssd toolbox. Use to optimize ssd.
4. Not really an indication of anything until it happens with more frequency. Really should not happen at all, but stuff happens

5. Use windows 7 backup and make backups to an external source (usb drive, dvd, network) and create a system image. With that practice you can have complete failure, pop in a new drive and be up and running in a matter of minutes just as if a failure did not happen.
m
l
December 15, 2012 2:49:05 PM

ty. The morning is saved. Always learning i guess. I will follow ur rec's T53186 ... TODAY !

thanks again
m
l
December 15, 2012 2:56:44 PM

Again, I agree with t53186's advice. Make sure you mark t53186 with best answer. All I did was come in and second his advice lol.
m
l
December 25, 2012 2:38:17 PM

Best answer selected by odiervr.
m
l
!