Difference between these UPS systems?

mb

I have a basic Dell 2400 system. I am looking for a UPS system in case of
power outages.

I checked the Tripplite site and it recommended InternetOffice 500 OR
Smart550USB.

I am having a hard time distinguishing between the two. Can someone tell me
what the difference is??

Mel

Not much. The Smart550 is 10% more powerful and is only
2 or 3 dollars more. Seems worth it to me. It also will motor
on through on lower voltage brownouts without shutting things
down, 83 vs 99 volts. This may not be important to you
depending on the quality of service in your area.

MB wrote:
| I have a basic Dell 2400 system. I am looking for a UPS system in
| case of power outages.
|
| I checked the Tripplite site and it recommended InternetOffice 500 OR
| Smart550USB.
|
| I am having a hard time distinguishing between the two. Can someone
| tell me what the difference is??
|
| Mel

In general, avoid purchasing the least expensive UPS of any brand. Once you
know the difference you would want to skip-over a standby UPS design and opt
for an online type. At the very least look for a sine-wave output design.

If you can afford it the double conversion UPS variety offers some of the
best protection to electrical equipment, especially computers.

Take a look at Powerware as one source: 5115 model is sine-wave design,
9120 is double conversion. Look at APC Smart UPS or better.

The Trip lite model you are looking at is a standby model. Take a look at
the Trip Lite glossary for some definitions:
http://www.tripplite.com/support/glossary/index.cfm See Online (double
conversion), Line Interactive, and Standby.

Kevin

Also check to be sure that the model you are buying has an interface
connection (USB or serial) that connects it to your computer. Some of the
cheapest I have seen do not. That way the system can do an unsupervised
shutdown in the event of prolonged power outage. Most have software with
them and Windows XP also will supervise the UPS status through the power
scheme settings.

Regards,
John O.

"MB" <mel@prodigy.invalid.net> wrote in message
> I have a basic Dell 2400 system. I am looking for a UPS system in case of
> power outages.
>
> I checked the Tripplite site and it recommended InternetOffice 500 OR
> Smart550USB.
>
> I am having a hard time distinguishing between the two. Can someone tell
me
> what the difference is??
>
> Mel

Mike

Splendid

Good information. What's a double conversion UPS?

Mike

Mike wrote:
| Good information. What's a double conversion UPS?
|
| Mike
|
| "kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message
|| MB wrote:
||| I have a basic Dell 2400 system. I am looking for a UPS system in
||| case of power outages.
||| I checked the Tripplite site and it recommended InternetOffice 500
||| OR Smart550USB.
||| I am having a hard time distinguishing between the two. Can someone
||| tell me what the difference is??
||| Mel
|| In general, avoid purchasing the least expensive UPS of any brand.
|| Once you know the difference you would want to skip-over a standby
|| UPS design and opt for an online type. At the very least look for a
|| sine-wave output design.
|| If you can afford it the double conversion UPS variety offers some
|| of the best protection to electrical equipment, especially computers.
|| Take a look at Powerware as one source: 5115 model is sine-wave
|| design, 9120 is double conversion. Look at APC Smart UPS or better.
|| The Trip lite model you are looking at is a standby model. Take a
|| look at the Trip Lite glossary for some definitions:
|| http://www.tripplite.com/support/glossary/index.cfm See Online
|| (double conversion), Line Interactive, and Standby.
|| Kevin

In a double conversion design your computer is never running on AC wall
power and remains isolated from dips, surges, and transients as well as the
sudden switchover when power is disrupted. In this design wall AC
continously charges the batteries of the UPS. The batteries in turn run an
inverter which supplies the AC to the load. This is really the ultimate in
isolating the load from the source.

This is has been the highest standard but I see that APC now offers a
"delta" conversion.

Kevin

"kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote:

>In a double conversion design your computer is never running on AC wall
>power and remains isolated from dips, surges, and transients as well as the
>sudden switchover when power is disrupted. In this design wall AC
>continously charges the batteries of the UPS. The batteries in turn run an
>inverter which supplies the AC to the load. This is really the ultimate in
>isolating the load from the source.
>
>This is has been the highest standard but I see that APC now offers a
>"delta" conversion.

These, despite an initial higher cost, would be my suggestion to
anyone. They'll last though any number of computer replacements,
albeit requiring a new battery (typically ~$100, IME) every three
years or so. I've had one covering two computers at home for
over seven years, and the two my old boss took home along with
four computers when he closed the company are still supporting
his computers after more than 12 and 10 years respectively.
--
OJ III

Mike

Splendid

What's a delta conversion?

Will you recommend a good ups for home use: dell 8200 w/ 19" crt monitor?

> Mike wrote:
> | Good information. What's a double conversion UPS?
> |
> | Mike
> |
> | "kahout" <kevinh!delete!@tellurian.com> wrote in message
> || In general, avoid purchasing the least expensive UPS of any brand.
> || Once you know the difference you would want to skip-over a standby
> || UPS design and opt for an online type. At the very least look for a
> || sine-wave output design.
> || If you can afford it the double conversion UPS variety offers some
> || of the best protection to electrical equipment, especially computers.
> || Take a look at Powerware as one source: 5115 model is sine-wave
> || design, 9120 is double conversion. Look at APC Smart UPS or better.
> || The Trip lite model you are looking at is a standby model. Take a
> || look at the Trip Lite glossary for some definitions:
> || http://www.tripplite.com/support/glossary/index.cfm See Online
> || (double conversion), Line Interactive, and Standby.
> || Kevin
>
> In a double conversion design your computer is never running on AC wall
> power and remains isolated from dips, surges, and transients as well as
the
> sudden switchover when power is disrupted. In this design wall AC
> continously charges the batteries of the UPS. The batteries in turn run
an
> inverter which supplies the AC to the load. This is really the ultimate in
> isolating the load from the source.
>
> This is has been the highest standard but I see that APC now offers a
> "delta" conversion.
>
> Kevin

Go to APC, they have selection help. They make very good stuff.
http://www.apcc.com/products/category.cfm?id=13

TRENDING THREADS