Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Problems dell dimension 4550

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
Share
August 16, 2010 2:13:18 AM

Hi i'm having problems with a dell dimension 4550. When I power on the system Windows XP starts but the home screen starts the system freezes up. I installed the dell wireless 1450 USB and the driver has an error.
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2010 6:52:00 AM

bullbrammer said:
Hi i'm having problems with a dell dimension 4550. When I power on the system Windows XP starts but the home screen starts the system freezes up. I installed the dell wireless 1450 USB and the driver has an error.



Leave the USB wireless device out and restart into Safe Mode by tapping Function 8 as the machine starts up but before Windows loads. That should allow you to remove the Dell software.
August 16, 2010 11:47:08 AM

Saga Lout said:
Leave the USB wireless device out and restart into Safe Mode by tapping Function 8 as the machine starts up but before Windows loads. That should allow you to remove the Dell software.


Hi thanks for the advice, but I did that and still have the same problem.
Should I used a fresh Install?
How do I save my work on the system?
Related resources
a b D Laptop
August 16, 2010 6:37:11 PM

bullbrammer said:
Hi thanks for the advice, but I did that and still have the same problem.
Should I used a fresh Install?
How do I save my work on the system?


I use a version of a Linux Operating System, run as a LiveCD in RAM only so it doesn't impact on the hard disk at all. It does, however, allow access to it to retrieve your data, yea even unto letting you delete files, if that helps at all. There are dozens that can do that but my personal preference is PCLinuxOS from http://www.pclinuxos.com. Burn it to a CD so it becomes bootable then use it to boot that laptop. Select LiveCD from the menu options and in a few minutes, you'll have the machine running a new system and be online seconds later.

The My Computer icon takes you to your hard disk where you could delete that driver if you know the location. You could then take your personal; files out to flash drives in case XP still won't run and give it one more try before reinstalling or sticking to Linux forever. :D 


August 23, 2010 1:10:54 AM

try restore the system to a previous state.
start computer and press F8 and it gives options choose the option to restore computer to previous state

If this does not help then do this.

Do a fresh install and when doing this fresh install it gives options

1. do you want to completely format your hard disk:? choose no.

alternatively you can try repair install see if that helps.

!